Need Info on 2WD 4th Gen Lifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CxLxC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Now this isn't my first time lifting a truck (its my second, lol), but the suspension on my RAM is heads and tails different from my Titan. My Titan was front coilover & rear leafs, doesn't get much easier than that. For some reason though, I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly my options are for lifting my RAM. I'm just looking for some verification I guess...

1. From what I've gathered so far there's the typical BL, spindles, and coil spacers. What about lift springs?

2. Again, just to verify, there aren't any adjustable front shocks for our 2WD's? What about just longer shocks period? I could have sworn I read about someone with a Pro Comp lift getting longer front shocks installed...

3. (cont. from #2) What about longer rear shocks?

4. This question still kind of goes along with the above, but what works on our 2WD that works on other series RAM's? For example, I believe the spindles all the way from '02 and up will work on my 2010? What about lift spacers, shocks, springs, etc.?

Thanks in advanced for anyone's help! I know there's a plethora of threads here, but its hard to search for 2WD stuff, it's too short of a word for the search to recognize.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just curious how much lift you're talking about. I haven't seen a whole lot to indicate there's much of a difference from 2WD to 4WD, but probably has a lot to do with how lifted you're wanting to go. Rough Country lifts only seem to mention AWD and TRX models as being difficult.

OP
OP
CxLxC

CxLxC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just curious how much lift you're talking about. I haven't seen a whole lot to indicate there's much of a difference from 2WD to 4WD, but probably has a lot to do with how lifted you're wanting to go. Rough Country lifts only seem to mention AWD and TRX models as being difficult.

Eventually? As much as possible, lol.

Realistically? Probably around 6-8". And that would more than likely be compounding a BL with something else. I just want to make sure I've researched all my available options before pulling the trigger on something.

Also, regarding the typical package lifts (RXC, Pro Comp, CST, etc.), would I basically just be using the spindles and spacers? If thats the case, I can buy those components separately cheaper than if I bought the whole package.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Eventually? As much as possible, lol.

Realistically? Probably around 6-8". And that would more than likely be compounding a BL with something else. I just want to make sure I've researched all my available options before pulling the trigger on something.

Also, regarding the typical package lifts (RXC, Pro Comp, CST, etc.), would I basically just be using the spindles and spacers? If thats the case, I can buy those components separately cheaper than if I bought the whole package.

Yeah, it's probably best to let another member chime in. I'm new to lifting trucks. Just going off of what I was reading on the Rough Country site when I was looking at a suspension/body combo.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no leaf springs (look under the truck)

never use longer front shocks.

you WILL have to use longer shocks with rear lifts.

02-12 use same spindle. same spacers and springs (for the most part on 06+).

front suspension is basically the same (on 06+)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CxLxC

CxLxC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
no leaf springs (look under the truck)

never use longer front shocks.

you WILL have to use longer shocks with rear lifts.

02-12 use same spindle, spacers (for the most part) and springs. front suspension is basically the same

Thanks for the response!

I'm well aware of the lack of leaf springs, haha.

And as far as rear shocks go, are the shocks 2WD's specific? AKA will ones from a 4WD work? Rear spacers too I guess...

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes the rear of 4wd and 2wd is the same, on 09-12 models

TXCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've read on a couple of other threads that you do need to go with longer shocks up front when using the CST 7" spindle lift kit/package (really a 4" lift + FE level). Kit says OEM works but RF posts say they dont have enough extension, and give the front end a jarring/pogo stick effect going over speed-bumps, etc.

OP
OP
CxLxC

CxLxC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I've read on a couple of other threads that you do need to go with longer shocks up front when using the CST 7" spindle lift kit/package (really a 4" lift + FE level). Kit says OEM works but RF posts say they dont have enough extension, and give the front end a jarring/pogo stick effect going over speed-bumps, etc.

This what I had read as well. The only thing I want to know is what shocks are these 2WD people using...

I realize longer shocks should only be used if the lift requires, but I dont even know which ones those would be!

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

only if you use the 3" front spacer. if you use the 2" or 2.5" then youre fine. cst has their own shocks they recommend if you use the 3" front spacer, or there are about 4 other shocks to choose from at performancelifts.com.

if shock is too long, 1/2"-1" or more than stock, it causes the UCA to "bang" the upper shock mount. Trust me, I've done it and its not pretty.

Last edited:

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since they are out of stock, performancelifts.com doesn't show the front shock options they have to offer....

Shock Absorbers:
CST does not include shock absorbers with this 7" suspension lift. Please note that extended length front and rear shock absorbers will be required when installing this CST 7" lift. Use of the correct length (slightly longer) front shock will dramatically improve the ride and handling. To help ensure the ride and handling matches the trucks great looks PerformanceLifts.com recommends the CST "CSR" Series shock absorbers. For that reason PerformanceLifts.com currently only offers the CST part number CSR-1200 front shock designed specifically for use with this CST 7" Lift. The CST Front shock is designed by CST for use with their CST 7" lift and fits better than any other option we have found. We do however offer Bilstein, Rancho and ProComp rear shocks for use with this lift. Shock absorbers can be purchased using the selection boxes located above this item description.

OP
OP
CxLxC

CxLxC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks a lot! You've helped me figure out pretty much everything I needed to know.

One more little question though, at what point are longer rear shocks required? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need them with say a 1" spacer, or would I?

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a rear 1.5 spacer with stock shocks. No problem. I say anything above 1.5" replace them