Need part suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’ve got 2013 4x4 2500 and my front diff is whining, so it needs to be rebuilt. My mechanic just told me I’m looking at 1300 to rebuild it, so I got to thinking about mebbe doing it myself (with the help of my much more experienced neighbor).

Which brands should I avoid? I’m trying to save some money, but I don’t want to install crap parts in my driveline, because I do a lot of heavy towing thru fields and such.

Nitro has a full set of replacement gears for about 1399, which would give me the opportunity to upgrade from the stock 3.42 gears to 3.73, which I am led to believe is superior. Actually I’m completely unsure what ratio I have right now. I just got the truck. That being said, if I can get a front diff rebuild kit for 500, I’m gonna just do THAT.

In addition to the front diff, my turbo is gonna need to be replaced soon too. The actuator is starting to throw codes, and my mechanic says replacement is going to be eventually required. I’m looking for a solid drop in replacement, either stock or mild upgrade. I hear good things about Holstet, but if anyone knows of “stock+” kinda situation lemme know.

Last edited:

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Not worth the money to go from 3.42 to 3.73. I’m assuming that $1399 is front and rear? I’d just rebuild what you have unless you go to at least 4.10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it is a diesel then it is prolly the standard 3.42, you could upgrade to 4:10”s.. but you really don’t need to with all that Torque you have.

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks guys. The kit I’m looking at IS front and reset, but the only sizes they offer are 3.73 and up. Comes with gaskets and bearings and all the extras, which is why I was considering it. If they offered a 3.42 I would just grab that.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Hi Super, if you decide to not do it yourself (major props to you if you do!!), JustJeeps in Austin would charge $500/axle for a gearswap. I just did my 1500 4WD there and they did 3:55 to 4:56 front/rear, added a TruTrac LSD and a Mag-Hytek diff plate for $1100, including tax. I supplied the parts and the gear oil. Ask for Dan, and tell him Jack sent you.

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi Super, if you decide to not do it yourself (major props to you if you do!!), JustJeeps in Austin would charge $500/axle for a gearswap. I just did my 1500 4WD there and they did 3:55 to 4:56 front/rear, added a TruTrac LSD and a Mag-Hytek diff plate for $1100, including tax. I supplied the parts and the gear oil. Ask for Dan, and tell him Jack sent you.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll call them today.