Need some advice/answers PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Ok, I have seen a few ppl talking about the comp 260. Does that come with valves etc? If not, would I have to get a special type, other than stock? I ended up buying one from AutoZone that got the job done and will work for now. I think I'm going to have a buddy who welds make me up one that sits on top and screws into the rocker arm bolt holes. Less dangerous that way.

If the shop says that my crank is bad, I'm going to try and find a used 6.1 crank, the 6.1 rods and the forged 5.7 pistons like you (I think it was you anyways lol) mentioned on the previous page. I'm not sure how good of condition the rods have to be in to be reused but this is the one the spun the bearing. Second pic the one on left is the "bad" one and one on right is a normal one

20180330_205933.jpg

20180330_210012.jpg

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The Comp 260 is just the camshaft. You can reuse your stock valves, but you’ll want to use 16 6.1 EXHAUST springs and the 6.1 stock pushrods. You can sometimes find the cam cheap in a used condition, it’s a pretty common camshaft for the Hemi. There are lots of other cam options available. If you want to go super cheap you could research using the 6.1 Hemi stock camshaft, it’s quite a bit bigger then the stock 5.7 cam. You can find those for $50-$100 if you’re lucky. But with any upgraded cam you probably should get some custom tuning to go with it so remember to add a few hundred bucks for a programmer. Picking up a used Diablosport programmer is a great way to go.

I’ve seen a few guys make a homemade valvespring compressor for doing them on the heads screwed to the rocker arm supports. With alittle ingenuity it should be pretty easy to make.

I’m no expert on cranks, but you probably are looking at replacing the crank if it spun a bearing. I don’t know how much can be machined to fix it. A 6.1 crank and forged rods are a great way to go, but figure $250 or more for a used crank, and another $600-$900 for forged rods and pistons. Those are probably not really necessary unless you plan on running big power down the road. It’s best to do it now rather then later if you can afford it rather then rebuilding the engine later.

You can polish a ****, just don’t pretend you have anything more then a shiny ****.
I bleed Ram Trucks

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-112-500-11
Comp 260 cam at Summit for new. I think Moe’s Performance has them as well, they are a vendor on here.

If you see a 6.1 crank for sale remember they typically sell quick around here. LxForums is another good Hemi site for finding used parts

You can polish a ****, just don’t pretend you have anything more then a shiny ****.
I bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
Jbaker33

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-112-500-11
Comp 260 cam at Summit for new. I think Moe’s Performance has them as well, they are a vendor on here.

If you see a 6.1 crank for sale remember they typically sell quick around here. LxForums is another good Hemi site for finding used parts

I bleed Ram Trucks

Right on. Thanks man. I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond and explain this stuff to me. I used to do my own vehicle repairs about 10 years ago and ended up hating it. I didn't have many tools nor a good place to work on them. I've taken our vehicles to shops for the last 10 years. Then my wife's Pacificas timing chain went last summer and destroyed the motor. They wanted 7 grand to replace it. We owed 3,000 on it still and it wasn't even worth 2,000. What really changed my mind was when I bought the Ram it needed front struts and rear shock absorbers. The place I usually go wanted close to a grand for parts and labor. I ended up getting the struts for 250 and absorbers for 50.. 300 dollars total to do it myself.

Then I started researching my year truck and found out all of the known issues that caused major engine damage. Since then I've done quite a bit of preventative maintenance to try and allevate any of those issues from happening. Long story long, thank God for this forum and people like you taking the time to teach and give knownledge to guys like me. I didn't get this truck because it was a good deal, I went looking for it. Owned Chevy and ford pick ups but I've always wanted a dodge lol.

One other question I have. Because I don't have a tuner, I use torque pro on my android. I've been searching for a transmission temp PID and formula and I think I finally found one. What does the 545 normally run at this time of year? The equation says it's for °F but it seems low. So I added to the equation, converting it to °F (Just in case the original for for Celsius) but now it seems too high. At first after driving a few mins the original equation showed me around 120 degrees. After changing it, it was showing between 220 and 240 degrees. I did a little bit of research and read that 200-240 is normal but above 240 the transmission changes shifting parameters because it's too hot. This stuff still confuses me so hopefully you know about this.

This is the original PID formula
Screenshot_20180331-124725.png

And this is what I added(circled part is how I read you convert °C to °F

Screenshot_20180331-124725.png

20180331_125419.jpg

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Not a problem buddy, if I hadn’t of had help from guys in the forums I wouldn’t have been able to do mine. I have no idea about that app, never heard of it and I don’t know what temp the trans runs at normally

I bleed Ram Trucks