Need some advice on air-intake and exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
From a filtration standpoint, the factory intake is fine. From a performance standpoint, there is plenty of room for improvement.

The stock airbox only pulls air from the fender. The S&B pulls air from both the fender and a downward facing air scoop. The Vararam pulls more cool air then any of them directly from the front grille.

Next up is the accordian shaped factory intake tube that connects the airbox to the throttle body. The S&B has a much less restrictive smooth airtube, and the Vararam takes it a step further by only using a simple 5" straight coupler that connects the filter tray to the throttle body.

The filters that come with both the Vararam and S&B also flow better than the stock paper filter, so that is another added bonus.

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what is the difference between the 2 S7B's Moe's has listed? and what is the hp gain on them compared to k&N's?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
1 has an oiled filter that is cleanable, and the other has a dry dilter that is disposable like the factory filter. Performance is the same between the 2.

The biggest difference between the S&B and K&N are build quality and the fact that the S&B has a true enclosed airbox. The K&N has an open filter which makes alot of noise and not much power. With them being priced so close together, the S&B is a clear winner between the 2.

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1 has an oiled filter that is cleanable, and the other has a dry dilter that is disposable like the factory filter. Performance is the same between the 2.

The biggest difference between the S&B and K&N are build quality and the fact that the S&B has a true enclosed airbox. The K&N has an open filter which makes alot of noise and not much power. With them being priced so close together, the S&B is a clear winner between the 2.

ahh i got it thanks for the info. well seams like im going to go with the S&B oiled filter. so what would you say s&b hp gain is compared to k&n?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Its hard to quote hp gains on intakes because running it on the dyno with the truck sitting still is much different than driving it down the street. Intakes are designed to bring in cold air while the truck is moving, so when sitting still on a dyno, they are going to make close to the same power. On the road, you will feel an extra 5-10hp from the S&B because it is pulling air from 2 locations and it is cooler outside air instead of the warmer underhood air.

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its hard to quote hp gains on intakes because running it on the dyno with the truck sitting still is much different than driving it down the street. Intakes are designed to bring in cold air while the truck is moving, so when sitting still on a dyno, they are going to make close to the same power. On the road, you will feel an extra 5-10hp from the S&B because it is pulling air from 2 locations and it is cooler outside air instead of the warmer underhood air.

very true thanks again for this info. now for the schooling on the mufflers lol. im fixed on getting Magnaflow but debating on which one. also does this muffler help on any gain of hp?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Combined with the intake and tuner, a muffler can add a few hp, but it isnt the type of mod that is going to show a very noticable power increase. As for which Magnaflow to go with, that depends on how loud you want it. The shorter the muffler, the louder it will be. They offer a 14", 18", and 24". 14" is pretty aggressive and is going to have a little drone in the cab. The 24" is deeper than stock when you get on it, but it pretty quiet in the cab. The 18" is be best of both worlds...sounds tough when you get on it, but it is still tame in the cab.

DMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 4x4 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
From a filtration standpoint, the factory intake is fine. From a performance standpoint, there is plenty of room for improvement.

The stock airbox only pulls air from the fender. The S&B pulls air from both the fender and a downward facing air scoop. The Vararam pulls more cool air then any of them directly from the front grille.

Next up is the accordian shaped factory intake tube that connects the airbox to the throttle body. The S&B has a much less restrictive smooth airtube, and the Vararam takes it a step further by only using a simple 5" straight coupler that connects the filter tray to the throttle body.

The filters that come with both the Vararam and S&B also flow better than the stock paper filter, so that is another added bonus.

With more air flow you have less filtration. What's the net effect long term on your engine?

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK so i need some more advice. i looked under the ram and i have a 26" muffler (stock) with a single inlet and a single out. now assuming it's a 3" inlet / 2.25 or 2.5 out. is their a difference in performance single inlet / single out vs. single inlet / dual out? cause im ready to order this muffler now im just not sure if stock pipe before muffler is 3", 2.5" or 2.25" for 2011 1500 5.7l sport

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
With more air flow you have less filtration. What's the net effect long term on your engine?

How do you figure that you would get worse filtration? You are getting more air to the filter, and the filter has a larger surface area...The filter itself will filter the air just as well if not better than the stock paper filter would.

I dont know of anyone that has had any ill long term effects with an aftermarket air intake setup. Only drawback would be if you dont clean or replace your filter as often as you should.

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
would you guys know if i have a 3" in / 2.25 out? cause im really set on the 18" magnaflow 3" in/ dual (either 2.25 or 2.5) out #12278.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
If you have a factory single exit exhaust, then you need a single 3" in/single 3" out muffler. If you have the factory dual exhaust, then you need a single 3" in/Dual 2.5" out muffler.

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a factory single exit exhaust, then you need a single 3" in/single 3" out muffler. If you have the factory dual exhaust, then you need a single 3" in/Dual 2.5" out muffler.

it's goes from 3" (i think) to the muffler, then single out to factory Y pipe, then dual straight out from back bumper, also i heard it's a 2.25 for a 2011 5.7 hemi. i guess what im questioning is if i get rid of the factory Y pipe would that make a difference in the sound?

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

INCORRECT my friend....
Paper filters work on a “Go—No Go” principal. Paper filters are essentially flat surfaces with openings that allow air to pass through. Dirt smaller than these openings is allowed through, while dirt larger than the opening sticks to the surface, clogging the filter and restricting air flow. The result is continually decreasing airflow. Unfortunately, since paper is weak and swells when it comes into contact with moisture, cleaning is virtually impossible. Even blowing the filter out with compressed air can result in tears or damage to the filter that further reduces its effectiveness.

Foam-Air Filters employ a major advancement in air filtration technology—open cell filter foam. Foam air filters combine great airflow capacity with huge dust holding capacity that can capture even the smallest of particles. Additionally these foam filters are much easier to maintain since they can even be washed in soap and water. Foam-Air filter solutions are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to meet most common over-the-road and heavy equipment applications.

Basically all this sez it that paper is good as long as its new and dry..Foam filters from a uni directional and is reusable thus saveing $ and flowin more air which give more power...

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it's goes from 3" (i think) to the muffler, then single out to factory Y pipe, then dual straight out from back bumper, also i heard it's a 2.25 for a 2011 5.7 hemi. i guess what im questioning is if i get rid of the factory Y pipe would that make a difference in the sound?

Scratch my questions cause I don't have a Y pipe it's dual 2.25 out with a clamp over the 2.25 outs on the stock muffler

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Scratch my questions cause I don't have a Y pipe it's dual 2.25 out with a clamp over the 2.25 outs on the stock muffler

Yo man, before you order that magnaflow I'll post a video. I traded my 2010 with stock exhaust on a 2011. I bought my truck with a muffler already on it, and I believe it's a flowmaster. if you give me some time I'll get a video and the model number. I originally would have never gone flowmaster, but when I heard this truck I was like DAMN! I'll get a video and get a mirror and try to find out what make/model the muffler is. I've had flowmaster before which is why I think it is one....looks like one.

I also have the K&N and I dont have a problem with it. It was also already on the truck. I don't know why people don't like the K&N, i feel like all in all they are all oranges to apples when you think about it. I mean they all serve the same purpose. I bought a trinity and on 87 octane, cold night, and on the eastern sea board, ran a 5.86 I think(0 to 60), is my best with just those mods. Its a 2011 5.7 4x4 Crew Cab. Give me till today and I'll post a video with some sound.

Last edited:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Yo man, before you order that magnaflow I'll post a video. I traded my 2010 with stock exhaust on a 2011. I bought my truck with a muffler already on it, and I believe it's a flowmaster. if you give me some time I'll get a video and the model number. I originally would have never gone flowmaster, but when I heard this truck I was like DAMN! I'll get a video and get a mirror and try to find out what make/model the muffler is. I've had flowmaster before which is why I think it is one....looks like one.

I also have the K&N and I dont have a problem with it. It was also already on the truck. I don't know why people don't like the K&N, i feel like all in all they are all oranges to apples when you think about it. I mean they all serve the same purpose. I bought a trinity and on 87 octane, cold night, and on the eastern sea board, ran a 5.86 I think(0 to 60), is my best with just those mods. Its a 2011 5.7 4x4 Crew Cab. Give me till today and I'll post a video with some sound.

Performance! That's why most don't like them. Both K&N and F/M have proven to not perform as well on the RAM. Sound is a different story!

Personally, I'm going with a 24" Mufflex. Sold my 14 to a local. I just want the V8 rumble. Remember, sound doesn't mean performance!

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Performance! That's why most don't like them. Both K&N and F/M have proven to not perform as well on the RAM. Sound is a different story!

Personally, I'm going with a 24" Mufflex. Sold my 14 to a local. I just want the V8 rumble. Remember, sound doesn't mean performance!

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

Maybe I would run better with another CAI but running a 5.86 isnt bad for just three mods. Canned tune, CAI K&N, and Muffler. That's moving for a heavy truck.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca