Need to make buying decision based on towing; Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Oh, and you said about 695lbs tongue weight? It will be quite a bit higher. Figure closer to 900lbs. That 695 is dry with no propane tanks and no battery. My sons was closer to 1100lbs and I think his is advertised at about 650lbs. He has a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

That's a decent enough hitch, and very similar to what I use every time I pull our 35ish ft TT. You've got the sway bar that goes on the little ball as well, right? If so you're good once you have the truck to start setting everything up.

Some people swear by the integrated sway control/weight distribution setups. I personally don't like them and don't use them.

Chance Boy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 1500 Limited with the Hemi. My TT is around 7,000 lbs and I get around 10-12 MPG. As you know a lot depends on how fast you drive. I like to track my RPM rather then speed. If time is no problem for you and thee roads are flat, with no big head wind, the 1500 will do just fine. When I get in a hurry, I can do 75 plus but mileage goes down to 6-8 range. Also if your get the air ride, it will sit nicely and it makes hooking up very easy with a WDH.
I went from a F150 eco boost and my Ram handles better and the ride is amazing, along with very quiet.

Dive-Ho

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
CTD
Most 1/2 ton trucks run out of payload capacity well before hitting the rated towing capacity. Check the yellow & white door sticker that says something like total weight of all occupants and load should never exceed xxxx pounds. For example my 2015 1/2 ton Ram had ONLY 1090 lbs total capacity where as my 2017 Ram 2500 had 3000 lbs and towed my 7500 lb travel trailer much better than the 1/2 ton. And the 2500 actually got about 1 mpg more while towing. Lot's of people tow over their trucks payload rating and some will say I can't even tell it's back there, but there is a reason they have maximum ratings on all trucks. Good luck.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How this thread reads...View attachment 230478

Funny joke, but not at all how see this thread reading. Most are advising the 1500 will do it, the 2500 will do it much more comfortably.

90% of the half ton market is getting groceries and going to hockey on the weekend around here. Ram markets to that, hence payload numbers as low as 900lbs on some.

OP wasn’t too how excited how his 1500 Yukon XL did with the trailer, so another 1500 might not be any better

OP
OP
E

Ed Von Boeckman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
For those I interested, it’s a buyers market on 2500s right now. I do not think the 1500 is going to cut it for me long-term.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
A gas truck towing that trailer will get about what your Yukon does.... 8-10mpg. Diesel will be better but I doubt you'd see 15MPG unless you drive slow... I have heard of too many horror stories to really want the eco diesel. You could do it with your truck but payload may be an issue. I think a 2500 would be better. The ecoD is also heavier so typically has a smaller payload then a similar hemi or gas V6. If you were asking "can I tow it with that truck" the answer is probably yes. But since you don't have any money ******* in it yet... I'd look for a 2500 and buy that instead.

I see 14-18 towing a 13,000 5th wheel here on flat and hills in northern AZ. Empty I get 22-27.3mpg. But I'm running a tuner and plenty of add ons and deletions. Ive kept my truck since new, I have never thought to get a newer year truck. Mine is a 2007 3500 single wheel 4x4. Alison 1000 built tranny. First year i found original tranny is crap all around.

OP
OP
E

Ed Von Boeckman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
I see 14-18 towing a 13,000 5th wheel here on flat and hills in northern AZ. Empty I get 22-27.3mpg. But I'm running a tuner and plenty of add ons and deletions. Ive kept my truck since new, I have never thought to get a newer year truck. Mine is a 2007 3500 single wheel 4x4. Alison 1000 built tranny. First year i found original tranny is crap all around.
Please enlighten me if possible on what those add ones are using simple terms please. Also AZ is where I plan to head in mid January. Do you Boondock At all out in that area?

Toddz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My guess is he is in a 6.7 Cummins, and even then he has a great tune if he is seeing those numbers.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I'm a newbie to the truck/travel trailer world and I'm trying to decide what to buy if anything to pull my new/used travel trailer. The travel trailer can be maxed out 7000.

Dry Weight 5,160 lbs.GVWR 7,000 lbs.Hitch Weight 695 lbs.

I plan to travel about 2 months out of the year out west and into mountains of Colorado.

I currently own a 2005 Yukon XL 5.3 V8 no towing package rated at 8400 pounds. I just purchased this trailer and pulled it back from Tx with this truck. It was a load and gas mileage was about 10. My truck is mechanically sound but has 192K miles on it and seems risky to take on long trips.

Here’s what I’m looking at buying, which seems to be rated a bit lower if my calculations are accurate. Gas mileage would be greatly improved, maybe 15. Any thoughts on purchase? Should I go with 250, keep what I have, get the truck below?

2018 RAM 1500 Laramie - Crew cab
This is the 6 cylinder diesel

Here are a few of the towing options:
20 x 9 Chrome Clad Aluminum Wheels, Cold Weather Group, Engine Block Heater, Power Chrome Trailer Tow Mirrors, Quick Order Package 28H Laramie, Trailer Brake Control, Trailer Tow Mirrors, Trailer Tow Mirrors & Brake Group, Winter Front Grille Cover, 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio, and it has the proper hitch setup and I have the proper weight distribution hitch.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have this truck rated 13750 total and 7560 trailer max per the link below. The box is 5’7.

Edit: Site will not let me post link. Googled "2018 Dodge Ram towing capacity chart".

Thanks,

Ed Von Boeckman

IMO I would stay from the diesel. The next gen diesel that came out is far more reliable. The earlier ones has issues. I personally have had the V M Motori diesel and it was in the shop 25 times in 16 months! Chrysler bought it back and they were having huge problems, I was one of many they bough the vehicle back.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Couldn't find used 3.92. I'm convinced based on what I read that under normal conditions that I can get at least 15 on the eco. How much would the 6.4 under the same circumstances? 6? You guys are the experts. It seems the eco diesel is not the way to go. I may use my 2005 Yukon year 1 and see if this is something that I really want to do long term, and then buy in year 2. That was my plan all along, but I'm getting nervous about my truck. Wondering if I would burn the transmission up. On flat easy conditions it did fine as long as I kept the speed under 63. I'll check out the F150.
My RAm has 392 gear ratio =and I get 17.5 to 19.5 all the time. When I tow with a 20 ft trailer I get 14. It all depends on wher you go.

You can run the VIN on the FCA web site and check to see what ratio a used truck has or the service dept. can do it. The FCA diesel can't tow as much as the 5.7, something to keep in mind.

Mark Albrecht

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins HO
I am the owner of a 2020 Ram3500 DRW with the HO 6.7 Cummins. Happy with the truck but have concerns about the CP4 issues people are having. Hopefully that will be worked out to everyones satisfaction. Anyway, I needed a rig to pull an equipment trailer with a dozer and this truck is spec'd so do that. I am a lifetime career mechanic and the 6.7 Cummins and 7.3L Powerstrokes were the best in our fleet. If I did not need this large capacity truck and was looking to pull the 9,000 lb trailer I would definately go with a 3/4 ton platform. Larger brakes, capacity, etc. Not buying new, I would look for a good clean F250 with the 6.2L Gas motor. Both the motor and trans in the Fords are made for the long haul. Buying new I would get the F250 with the 7.3L gas motor and ten speed trans. The new 10 speed trans is supposed to be the best out there in the Ford Superduty line. Just my thoughts on what you were describing. Long term for your usage the gas engine is the way to go. The diesel emissions and fuel quality have hurt the diesel rigs.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am the owner of a 2020 Ram3500 DRW with the HO 6.7 Cummins. Happy with the truck but have concerns about the CP4 issues people are having. Hopefully that will be worked out to everyones satisfaction. Anyway, I needed a rig to pull an equipment trailer with a dozer and this truck is spec'd so do that. I am a lifetime career mechanic and the 6.7 Cummins and 7.3L Powerstrokes were the best in our fleet. If I did not need this large capacity truck and was looking to pull the 9,000 lb trailer I would definately go with a 3/4 ton platform. Larger brakes, capacity, etc. Not buying new, I would look for a good clean F250 with the 6.2L Gas motor. Both the motor and trans in the Fords are made for the long haul. Buying new I would get the F250 with the 7.3L gas motor and ten speed trans. The new 10 speed trans is supposed to be the best out there in the Ford Superduty line. Just my thoughts on what you were describing. Long term for your usage the gas engine is the way to go. The diesel emissions and fuel quality have hurt the diesel rigs.

have read where many say do not buy a diesel after the 2008 model year as after that is when all of the emission control crap had to be put on them.

OP
OP
E

Ed Von Boeckman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
Thanks for the reply. I’m only hauling 7000 pounds max. I can only afford used in 27-35 range. My thinking is the ram 2500 with the smaller v8 is the best option. Thoughts?

Brian Elliott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the exact situation. I have been towing my travel trailer with similar specs as yours. Mine is a 2006 yukon xl with a 5.3 and I upgraded the gears to 4:10. Mine has 110k miles on it and on my last trip with it we made it about 2 blocks before the transmission went out. I decided not to put myself in that situation again so we purchased a 2020 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and I havent been happier with the performance. I have no more worries if we will make the trip or not. I kept the yukon for family outings but the Ram is my tow vehicle. So go with the 2500 and relax and enjoy your trips.