New Edge Pulsar Tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome, I found it. Impressive. I can't get traction in level 8 on wet roads so I am keeping it in level 6. Does anyone know what level 6 entails such as HP gains or towing specific changes? It doesn't hold the revs like Tow/Haul mode does which is good and the throttle response is better than stock but not as sensitive as level 8. 8 is awesome while driving but from a stop it's jumpy! Fun, but abrupt. Not good for heavy stop and go traffic, hah.
I tried asking Edge that same question two weeks ago via email and I'm still holding my breath for a reply.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome, I found it. Impressive. I can't get traction in level 8 on wet roads so I am keeping it in level 6. Does anyone know what level 6 entails such as HP gains or towing specific changes? It doesn't hold the revs like Tow/Haul mode does which is good and the throttle response is better than stock but not as sensitive as level 8. 8 is awesome while driving but from a stop it's jumpy! Fun, but abrupt. Not good for heavy stop and go traffic, hah.

In my opinion (not factual, just my assumption) the level 8 tune is probably like 5-7* of timing added (if that). I think 5/6 is just throttle sensitivity adjustment. I have a FIXD bluetooth obd2 unit that i can monitor some engine/trans stuff with, and the timing doesn't seem to change from stock in 5/6. I've been wanting to cut a 0-60 on stock/6/8 to compare, and monitor things like timing advance to see what's really happening. It's just too wet right now to get decent traction.

from what Nick@gotexhaust was saying, these don't change shiftpoints/communicate with the TCM at all, so best i can assume is it's all smoke and mirrors with the throttle sensitivty (with the exception of level 8). I could be woefully wrong, though!

Vitae_Essence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 8 Speed
I don't know if this is an option with the Edge installed but are you able to manually shift up to 8th gear to turn the MDS off? I do this now but I don't have the Edge. Think that might be a good solution to the surges everyone is talking about? Not a 'permanent' solution but rather a work around.

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes you can, thats the only way mine would not have the mild surge.... the second one I had gave me more issues.... like jumping surging 200-400rpms in traffic... almost rearended 2 cars while maintaining speed at 35mpg....

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
In my opinion (not factual, just my assumption) the level 8 tune is probably like 5-7* of timing added (if that). I think 5/6 is just throttle sensitivity adjustment. I have a FIXD bluetooth obd2 unit that i can monitor some engine/trans stuff with, and the timing doesn't seem to change from stock in 5/6. I've been wanting to cut a 0-60 on stock/6/8 to compare, and monitor things like timing advance to see what's really happening. It's just too wet right now to get decent traction.

from what Nick@gotexhaust was saying, these don't change shiftpoints/communicate with the TCM at all, so best i can assume is it's all smoke and mirrors with the throttle sensitivty (with the exception of level 8). I could be woefully wrong, though!

I'd wager a guess you are right. I don't feel much power gain in 6 but I have not done a full throttle run yet due to rain. I have Cooper Discoverer's that are not great combined with our slippery roads. I was wondering how the Edge communicated with the transmission. All I know is that in 8 it downshifts much faster than when stock. This could just be based on more rapid throttle position setting changes though. It feels like a sports car, not kidding.

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Level 6 is supposed to produce 15/15 at the rear if I remember correctly.
Highly suggest you spring for a Pedal Commander in addition to the Pulsar which will give you complete throttle response tuning capability on all levels. Really nice when you want to run 87 octane but don't want to deal w/ stock pedal response. Also gives you the ability to run level 8 but w/ less throttle sensitivity. It's a pricey combo running both but you won't regret spending the cheese.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Level 6 is supposed to produce 15/15 at the rear if I remember correctly.
Highly suggest you spring for a Pedal Commander in addition to the Pulsar which will give you complete throttle response tuning capability on all levels. Really nice when you want to run 87 octane but don't want to deal w/ stock pedal response. Also gives you the ability to run level 8 but w/ less throttle sensitivity. It's a pricey combo running both but you won't regret spending the cheese.

Thanks for the info. I think I am fine with level 6 power and throttle response. I will try 89 octane when it cools down outside. I tried level 4 today and holy hell is it sluggish. The throttle response is dreadful. I was hoping to use this for higher gas mileage and eliminating MDS but I can't deal with that pedal. I would assume this has something to do with the improved gas mileage but I could be wrong.

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the info. I think I am fine with level 6 power and throttle response. I will try 89 octane when it cools down outside. I tried level 4 today and holy hell is it sluggish. The throttle response is dreadful. I was hoping to use this for higher gas mileage and eliminating MDS but I can't deal with that pedal. I would assume this has something to do with the improved gas mileage but I could be wrong.

For the last 5 or so tanks of fuel I have been running 87 on Level 2 (stock / MDS off) w/ the Pedal Commander on City +3. Level 2 w/out the PC is not tolerable due to the decreased pedal sensitivity but w/ the PC in play, it's as good as 6. Of course you can crank up the PC further & it can quickly become as touchy as level 8 & well beyond. Gas mileage has gone up since PC installation BUT I am also breaking in a new engine so it's hard to attribute gains to any one particular mod. Real mileage is tracking around 1mpg less than what the dash is telling me, last tank (calculated) @ 16.3 w/ dash reporting 17.3 mpg. Haven't tried Level 8 again yet w/ reduced sensitivity via PC. Will report back when I do.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
For the last 5 or so tanks of fuel I have been running 87 on Level 2 (stock / MDS off) w/ the Pedal Commander on City +3. Level 2 w/out the PC is not tolerable due to the decreased pedal sensitivity but w/ the PC in play, it's as good as 6. Of course you can crank up the PC further & it can quickly become as touchy as level 8 & well beyond. Gas mileage has gone up since PC installation BUT I am also breaking in a new engine so it's hard to attribute gains to any one particular mod. Real mileage is tracking around 1mpg less than what the dash is telling me, last tank (calculated) @ 16.3 w/ dash reporting 17.3 mpg. Haven't tried Level 8 again yet w/ reduced sensitivity via PC. Will report back when I do.

What in the heck happened that you had to have the engine replaced on a 2017?

I like how the Edge bolts right on to the factory PCM and seamless integration using the cruise control buttons. I'm not sure how the PC installs but I don't believe it is that simple. I had a hard time spending the money on the Edge as I tend to buy guns with my play money, hold value much better.

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What in the heck happened that you had to have the engine replaced on a 2017?

I like how the Edge bolts right on to the factory PCM and seamless integration using the cruise control buttons. I'm not sure how the PC installs but I don't believe it is that simple. I had a hard time spending the money on the Edge as I tend to buy guns with my play money, hold value much better.

New vehicle, not a replacement engine. Dealership had a lifted 17 in stock among other 17's that were still in the inventory. I worked out a great deal on it that was way too good to pass up. The Pedal Commander is even simpler than the Pulsar to hook up. Literally plug & play, disconnect connector from top of accelerator & plug PC in, 2 minute install.

Stamp collector here (NFA) so I get your point on firearms over truck mods, lol.

Vitae_Essence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 8 Speed
I went the extra mile when I installed my pedal commander and disconnected the battery. Last thing I wanted as air bags going off or something. But then again I was raised to always disconnected the battery before doing electrical work.

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I went the extra mile when I installed my pedal commander and disconnected the battery. Last thing I wanted as air bags going off or something. But then again I was raised to always disconnected the battery before doing electrical work.

Forgot to add, I also disconnected the battery first for the same reasons.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
New vehicle, not a replacement engine. Dealership had a lifted 17 in stock among other 17's that were still in the inventory. I worked out a great deal on it that was way too good to pass up. The Pedal Commander is even simpler than the Pulsar to hook up. Literally plug & play, disconnect connector from top of accelerator & plug PC in, 2 minute install.

Stamp collector here (NFA) so I get your point on firearms over truck mods, lol.

Oh right, I saw your post about trading in the older Laramie. My truck was delivered with 18 miles on it since it had to go to the bed liner install location but I put in some Redline engine break in additive and hammered on it. I am of the one school of opinions that engines should be rode hard and put up wet during break in. My first Dakota made a good bit more power on the dyno than stated with this method. PC hookup sounds simple but not as easy to adjust as the Edge. Most likely it will be a set it and forget it item though.

I have 6 stamps and 2 pending for happy switches. :D

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Oh right, I saw your post about trading in the older Laramie. My truck was delivered with 18 miles on it since it had to go to the bed liner install location but I put in some Redline engine break in additive and hammered on it. I am of the one school of opinions that engines should be rode hard and put up wet during break in. My first Dakota made a good bit more power on the dyno than stated with this method. PC hookup sounds simple but not as easy to adjust as the Edge. Most likely it will be a set it and forget it item though.

I have 6 stamps and 2 pending for happy switches. :D

PC is controlled via Bluetooth (app on phone) or manually via the unit itself. I opted for a discreet install (unit tucked behind dash). It is a set-it & forget it for me but when I eventually change Pulsar settings back to 6 or 8, the PC will definitely be used to tweak pedal sensitivity to my liking. As for speed of adjustability, my Note 8 is mounted via a magnetic mount to the right of climate control (where the electrical outlet is mounted on higher trims), w/ the PC app open, it's a very quick process to change settings on the fly, simple push of a button, albeit on your phone vs steering wheel. Nice to be able to tone down the pedal for the wife when she drives or when I take it in for an oil change. The PC shines when demo'ing to buddies as well, my dad had a chance to drive mine a couple of weeks back while I was up for a visit, he was a big fan. It's a great combo that I held off on for the same reasons as you.... rising gas prices & my addiction to the more responsive pedal w/ the Pulsar in play eventually won out, no regrets on the purchase.

6 stamps here as well but no autos pending sadly, just cans & SBRs. I do run a Fostech Echo on one of the SBRs though which scratches the itch well enough. :D

Last edited:

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I made a vid for anyone on the fence about the Pulsar. See below.

White flash is approximately when I lean into throttle, and when I hit 60. All of the times were recorded in post, with the stopwatch on my iPhone. (very sophisticated and exact, in other words) Traction Control on, no shifting. Just mashing the gas. Rolling throttle so you don't have to see how bad these wranglers are on wet pavement.

I bet I could pull a stock 0-60 under 7 seconds, depending on traction and heat. Looks like performance mode with a tank full of Shell 93 octane pulls *about* 1 second off 0-60 time. I could probably improve that number as well with proper conditions.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
PC is controlled via Bluetooth (app on phone) or manually via the unit itself. I opted for a discreet install (unit tucked behind dash). It is a set-it & forget it for me but when I eventually change Pulsar settings back to 6 or 8, the PC will definitely be used to tweak pedal sensitivity to my liking. As for speed of adjustability, my Note 8 is mounted via a magnetic mount to the right of climate control (where the electrical outlet is mounted on higher trims), w/ the PC app open, it's a very quick process to change settings on the fly, simple push of a button, albeit on your phone vs steering wheel. Nice to be able to tone down the pedal for the wife when she drives or when I take it in for an oil change. The PC shines when demo'ing to buddies as well, my dad had a chance to drive mine a couple of weeks back while I was up for a visit, he was a big fan. It's a great combo that I held off on for the same reasons as you.... rising gas prices & my addiction to the more responsive pedal w/ the Pulsar in play eventually won out, no regrets on the purchase.

6 stamps here as well but no autos pending sadly, just cans & SBRs. I do run a Fostech Echo on one of the SBRs though which scratches the itch well enough. :D

Thanks for the info. I let my friend drive my truck last night in setting 8 and he liked it. He has a 2015 Ram Sport but it's his wife's DD now, so he's trying to hold out on getting an Edge. I will keep the PC in mind.

Damn, I was wondering what all the talk about binary trigger's were. I thought it was a 2 stage single fire like usual. Watched some videos, seems cool, surprised the ATF allowed it. I will keep that in mind. Much cheaper than a Lage Max11/15 upper for my Mac, whenever it's approved that is.

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the info. I let my friend drive my truck last night in setting 8 and he liked it. He has a 2015 Ram Sport but it's his wife's DD now, so he's trying to hold out on getting an Edge. I will keep the PC in mind.

Damn, I was wondering what all the talk about binary trigger's were. I thought it was a 2 stage single fire like usual. Watched some videos, seems cool, surprised the ATF allowed it. I will keep that in mind. Much cheaper than a Lage Max11/15 upper for my Mac, whenever it's approved that is.
In all honesty, I prefer the Echo over a burst or full auto trigger due to the controlability. Double taps land an inch or so apart at 25yds & can easily be strung together for a cyclical rate of approximately 650 rounds per minute, damn close to FA on an M4 & $500 is much easier on the wallet than 20k+. Would rather spend the cheese on more thermal & cans. [emoji38]

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@HDHNTER great info and feedback. thanks for taking the time to add useful info in here!

There is many customers running both the Pulsar and Pedal Commander. It really seems to work together and give that extra level of adjust ability to fine tune the truck and make it exactly how you want it.

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
@HDHNTER great info and feedback. thanks for taking the time to add useful info in here!

There is many customers running both the Pulsar and Pedal Commander. It really seems to work together and give that extra level of adjust ability to fine tune the truck and make it exactly how you want it.
My pleasure & thanks to you for the nice discounts. [emoji106]
Agreed, great combo..... would buy both again, zero regrets.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I have a pedal commandrr ALONG with pulsar. I found If I keep tranny in 8 by steering wheel switchs my surge is not there. As far as pulsar adjusting throttle sensitivity it may be true (mines real sensitive due to pc), but it seems to me my timing is adjusted. Pulls harder for longer, at cruise it has more response kicking to wot, really quicker. It is to ne noted that i ran pc for 4-5 months b4 pulsar so I was completely used to the pc throttle response and must say that although I dont know exactly what the parameters are for the pulsar it DEFINITELY boosted my output above and beyond the pc.