New guy on the block...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lift'EmHigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

I just joined this forum today. I bought a '95 5.2 on Saturday and only paid 1k for it. I knew I was getting into some work but have never had a lifted truck before. The truck has a 6 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift on it. I know... 9 inches is overkill lol

The guy told me that I would need new tires(I planned on this anyway bc it has stock rims and tires on it) and that I would need to replace the 2" lift blocks soon(cracked) but nothing else. I test drove it and it had serious play in the wheel(about 4 inches) but everything else felt good. Looked under it and the frame is beautiful for the year(Im in Ohio... it would be beautiful for a 2010). So I take it home and call my brother. He says to bring it over he wants to see it. So Im on my way over and my driveshaft falls out of my truck!!!! I look under and its a broken U-joint. No big deal. Fixed that today. But I noticed that in order for my driveshaft to reach my rear dif I have to pull it away from the tranny about 3 inches. Then today I get to work and my interior lights wont turn off. I go inside and come out 8.5 hrs later and they are still on but my truck starts right away.(Battery didnt die luckily)

So I have a few questions.
1. What can I do about the play in the steering wheel?
2. What can I do about the driveshaft length?
3. Any ideas why the lights wont go out?
4. What the hell did I get myself into?!?!

Thank you guys for the help in advance!

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Hey guys,

I just joined this forum today. I bought a '95 5.2 on Saturday and only paid 1k for it. I knew I was getting into some work but have never had a lifted truck before. The truck has a 6 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift on it. I know... 9 inches is overkill lol

The guy told me that I would need new tires(I planned on this anyway bc it has stock rims and tires on it) and that I would need to replace the 2" lift blocks soon(cracked) but nothing else. I test drove it and it had serious play in the wheel(about 4 inches) but everything else felt good. Looked under it and the frame is beautiful for the year(Im in Ohio... it would be beautiful for a 2010). So I take it home and call my brother. He says to bring it over he wants to see it. So Im on my way over and my driveshaft falls out of my truck!!!! I look under and its a broken U-joint. No big deal. Fixed that today. But I noticed that in order for my driveshaft to reach my rear dif I have to pull it away from the tranny about 3 inches. Then today I get to work and my interior lights wont turn off. I go inside and come out 8.5 hrs later and they are still on but my truck starts right away.(Battery didnt die luckily)

So I have a few questions.
1. What can I do about the play in the steering wheel?
2. What can I do about the driveshaft length?
3. Any ideas why the lights wont go out?
4. What the hell did I get myself into?!?!

Thank you guys for the help in advance!

1 .. New steering box
2... Longer pitman arm or the one that put the kit on forgot a part ..LOL
3... electrical issue .. start tracing wires
4 ... a real truck granted.. sounds to be a fixer upper

And as far as the drive shaft .. lifted that much did the last owner install the drop needed for the shaft ?

Welcome to RF

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Welcome to RF! Moved to tech section. Man, that sucks, but like Dave said they can all be fixed. I'd try to fix that light problem first, as you don't want to go out to your truck one day, and find the battery dead.

OP
OP
L

Lift'EmHigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1 .. New steering box
2... Longer pitman arm or the one that put the kit on forgot a part ..LOL
3... electrical issue .. start tracing wires
4 ... a real truck granted.. sounds to be a fixer upper

And as far as the drive shaft .. lifted that much did the last owner install the drop needed for the shaft ?

Welcome to RF

Thank you for the quick response(wernt that quick on my old cbrforum lol)

1. On the list(not top priority bc its still drivable)
2. Also on the list. I dont think he forgot anything but as I said I have never had a lifted truck. Im not sure what you mean by "the drop needed for the shaft". Can you clearify?
3. Turned the headlight *** too far... :ROFLJest: FIXED.
4. A fixer upper for sure lol But I dont mind. It will feel more like mine when Im done with it.
5... I know there were only 4. But I took it up to get the mail and my sister pulled in behind me. She said I had no break lights what so ever... :bs:
Any ideas?

Thinking about driving past the guys house that sold it to me... :biggun:

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the find. You'll find everything you need for your new truck around here.

OP
OP
L

Lift'EmHigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Here she is. In all her glory... :naughty:
Completely custom down to the NRA and Bone Collector stickers!:drool:

She needs work but will be a blast when shes done

424362_4510892896954_1371217316_n.jpg

LilRamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It may have its problems but hell, for a grand, I like it.

Welcome to RF, lots of great informative guys here.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice looking ride for a grand! I have always pondered a cab visor but I like my cab lights more. Too late I guess.

As far as the brake lights check bulbs and fuses, if both are good, start tracing wires...

OP
OP
L

Lift'EmHigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice looking ride for a grand! I have always pondered a cab visor but I like my cab lights more. Too late I guess.

As far as the brake lights check bulbs and fuses, if both are good, start tracing wires...

Thanks!
Yeah I like the cab visor.

Fixed the lights. thanks though. Right bulb was burnt out.
Left one had fallen out and was hanging. Pressed on the brakes and it looks like I have white underglow haha FIXED

deadrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 Outdoorsman MegaCab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome...nice looking truck!

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

OP
OP
L

Lift'EmHigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad ya got that part figured out!!

Yeah so am I! Couldnt drive it for a day... I felt withdrawals!!

Welcome...nice looking truck!

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

Thank you Deadrock! Its a project right now. Shouldnt be too hard with working at Summit Racing to bring it back to its prime... or better.

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
Welcome in! And that is a nice truck you have. It's going to be very rewarding once you do all the mods you decide to do! You gonna put bigger tires on it?

OP
OP
L

Lift'EmHigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome in! And that is a nice truck you have. It's going to be very rewarding once you do all the mods you decide to do! You gonna put bigger tires on it?

Of course! lol Stock just wont do for a 9 inch lift.
Im thinking 35s on 17s.
What do you guys think?

LilRamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
with a 9 inch lift you may be able to fit 37's, and the bigger the better. but 17's sound good, I dont like anything too big, I would hesitate to ever put 20's on my truck.

OP
OP
L

Lift'EmHigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
with a 9 inch lift you may be able to fit 37's, and the bigger the better. but 17's sound good, I dont like anything too big, I would hesitate to ever put 20's on my truck.

Yeah Im thinking 17s or 18s. Never 20s.
37s would be nice... just $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$