New Tire From Cooper/Discount Tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cheap compared to street radials, yes. Mud terrain's are expensive. My MTR/K's were $310 a piece when I bought them new back in '13. Tough pill to swallow when having to buy 5 of them.

I guess so. I never priced out mud tires because they would be completely pointless on my pavement princess. The most aggressive I'll ever go is all-terrain.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I seen a review a guy was complaining about how loud they were.... He was comparing them to some stuck birds he had on his jeep..... Anyone seen what the weight rating is? I know they are E rated but only 2 ply sidewall has me a bit worried on towing... I'm guessing 2600lbs.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I looked at a few mud tires and this tire has more siping than a normal mud tire but less than the sure Trac or bfg ko2.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I looked at a few mud tires and this tire has more siping than a normal mud tire but less than the sure Trac or bfg ko2.

You had it right at first. Which is why I like cooper/mickey thompson mud tires. Better compound, the side wall build, the rock ejectors, rim protection etc.... But the siping is very rare on a mud tire, and they have it :).. Especially against the top competitor toyo/nitto.. With their heavy ass bricks of tires.

But to compare with ko2s is apples to oranges.

IMO

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My KO2's have so much siping you can here the tires "gripping" on dry pavement when making turns!

I agree, def not an apples to apples comparison.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I wasn't trying to compare, just stating they would/could be a nice in between for someone stuck between a mud or going dura Trac or bfg ko2...... I'm not a fan of the ko tires so I wasn't trying to push it. Ive owned the original ko and if never by another set.

Last edited:

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
How do you convert the numbers to lbs? I've always seen the rating but never knew how to figure that out?

Just search for "tire load rating" on google and you'll find charts for every number possible.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I wasn't trying to compare, just stating they would/could be a nice in between for someone stuck between a mud or going dura Trac or bfg ko2...... I'm not a fan of the ko tires so I wasn't trying to push it. Ive owned the original ko and if never by another set.

Why didn't you like them? My dad would swear by them, he used them for all 400k miles he put on his last 3/4 ton Ram and got 80k+ out of each set, easily.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
I like Cooper Tires and have them on my Ram but this particular tire will not perform well on hard road surfaces plus Discount Tire is a sub-standard dealer.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Why didn't you like them? My dad would swear by them, he used them for all 400k miles he put on his last 3/4 ton Ram and got 80k+ out of each set, easily.

I just didn't like them because in the mud they had no traction, in hard pack snow and ice they were pretty good.... Just like my tires to perform in mud better than that.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I like Cooper Tires and have them on my Ram but this particular tire will not perform well on hard road surfaces plus Discount Tire is a sub-standard dealer.

Why do you think they won't perform on hard surface?

Stlram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why do you think they won't perform on hard surface?

I'm wondering the same thing? I've had these tires now for 500 miles I like them a lot. Tried them on dry, snow and muddy conditions and they work great. They do howl pretty good while driving but almost all MTs do. I'd reccomend them. I bought mine from discount tire direct and they beat everybodies prices and shipped for free within a couple days of purchase.

EDIT- I have the cooper stt pros, I just glanced at the OP's photo and thought that's what those were, oops carry on!

Last edited:

Cheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These look really good. Had I known about these I would have looked at them before I bought my KO2s.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cheap compared to street radials, yes. Mud terrain's are expensive. My MTR/K's were $310 a piece when I bought them new back in '13. Tough pill to swallow when having to buy 5 of them.

for what's it worth I had 4 Michelin Pilot Sports installed on a car back in 2005 and the price out the door was 2200.00 (obviously 550.00 per) so 310.00 in 2013 is a bargoon:favorites13:

OP
OP
F

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mud Terrains have came a long way in the past 20-25 years. In general they are quieter, last longer and have better road manners. I've had most the major brands of MT and AT tires on my trucks (heck, I've had six sets on this current truck alone). No reason to think this tire would be a subpar performer.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mud Terrains have came a long way in the past 20-25 years. In general they are quieter, last longer and have better road manners. I've had most the major brands of MT and AT tires on my trucks (heck, I've had six sets on this current truck alone). No reason to think this tire would be a subpar performer.

Out of those 6.. Which would you say is your favorite/disliked the most?

IMO

duhdonutman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i'm not an offroader, but i thought i'd post that i just picked up a set of Cooper ATP for my 1500 last night. I don't have 4wd, but i did want a more aggressive look than those terrible stock Goodies and these are those. I've only put 30 miles on them, but considering it was raining last night 1st nights result is that i'm pleased with them. They too are a discount tire exclusive and are similar to the AT 3 so i'm told. Regular prices on DT site they are 177 per, but there's a nice deal being run on eBay that they will match in store. I'm about to post in the for sale section more details on the deal, but here's the link that i found on slickdeals.net.

Discount Tire Direct Coupon: Motor Wheels & Tires - Slickdeals.net