New to a dually, have tire pressure questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bozo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 diesel
We recently bought a '16 Ram 3500 dually with thoughts to pull our 5th wheel camper (9200 lbs. empty). This is the first dually I have had and am finally getting used to the "wide hips" when parking. The questions I have are checking and filling the inner tire pressure and proper cold pressure when towing; what method do those with duallys use do this and what cold tire pressure is best for towing and daily driving? I bought an Accu-tire Truck and RV Digital Tire Gauge but can't get it seal on the inner stems for an accurate reading. I have read the extensions will work but have also read the readings aren't always accurate. Then, when googling for the best methods, there are as many opinions on how and the proper pressure as there are on what truck brands are best.

SO, I'm asking those who are experienced with duallys to help me with this.

1) the proper/best way to check the pressure

2) the proper cold air pressure to use when towing the fifth wheel.

I realize there will be differing opinions but I hope to find the best one for us to use for both checking and final pressures.

Thank you all in advance!!

Tony

STEEL BREEZE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I have installed CROSSFIRE psi equalizers on mine. And according to mfr specs have them set at 65 psi.

These can be ordered throughyour local TRUCK PRO, as this is were I ordered mine and a set for my son set to 60psi for a Ford e350 dually setup.

These will have to be ordered from the factory and you will have to make a bracket for mounting them as the factory send a mount for an 18 wheeler with them

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i have a digital tire gauge i bought at home depot which is pretty damn acccurate to within .5psi. dont have an issue checking the pressure with it. the inflators i use also have built in gauges. no issues with those sealing either. the inners on my truck have extensions on the stems. i thought they all did? as far as pressure goes, im pretty sure the door says 65psi for the rear loaded. thats the cold pressure. thats what i run.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
if your are going to tow regularly I would think about upgrading all the factory tires personally, just a thought. Happy motoring.

OP
OP
B

Bozo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 diesel
Thank you all for your answers and input!

I have installed CROSSFIRE psi equalizers on mine. And according to mfr specs have them set at 65 psi.

These can be ordered throughyour local TRUCK PRO, as this is were I ordered mine and a set for my son set to 60psi for a Ford e350 dually setup.

These will have to be ordered from the factory and you will have to make a bracket for mounting them as the factory send a mount for an 18 wheeler with them

I have read about these but haven't talked to anyone who has them. I wondered how well they worked. Thanks!

i have a digital tire gauge i bought at home depot which is pretty damn acccurate to within .5psi. dont have an issue checking the pressure with it. the inflators i use also have built in gauges. no issues with those sealing either. the inners on my truck have extensions on the stems. i thought they all did? as far as pressure goes, im pretty sure the door says 65psi for the rear loaded. thats the cold pressure. thats what i run.

I have had Accu-Tire digital tire gauges for all my vehicles for years and found them very accurate but can't use it on the dually set up. I have to admit, I am disappointed in this gauge as even when checking a car tire, it's difficult to get a proper seal for an accurate reading. The inner wheels on our Ram may have a short extension but they do not come close to the back side of the outer wheel which isn't helping to get a good reading. I have been running 65 psi (or as close as I can get to it) on the wo trips we've made. It is stiff when not the trailer isn't connected so I may try a lower pressure for daily driving when we do that. Thanks!!

if your are going to tow regularly I would think about upgrading all the factory tires personally, just a thought. Happy motoring.
I wondered about these Nexen tires; I've never heard of them before. 90% of this truck's life will be pulling the camper. What brand tire would you recommend? Thanks!!

Dtexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi6.4
Just replaced my Nexen tires on my 3500 after 18900 miles. Both front tires had belt separation. Would recommend replacing original Nexen tires. I hear Michelin are recommended for durability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357