New to dodge! Couple questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
You can park with your pass side tire touching the sidewalk aganist a curb and have some one turn the wheel and see where the loose parts are.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can park with your pass side tire touching the sidewalk aganist a curb and have some one turn the wheel and see where the loose parts are.

Okay and wherever there is the most play would be the "loose" parts are? Also would the truck need to be started or just in park sitting there??

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You can do it in park. But do have it running or you wont be able to turn the wheel. Love the color btw.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you the tip i figured it had to be running and i went ahead and tested them out a few days ago and went ahead and ordered new inner and outer tie rods because there was a ton of play in them. Thanks for the compliment i love the color as well!

I have also ordered a 2.5 inch level i will tackle while i am down there. I am going to to be replacing the shocks when i do the level as well but do i need shocks that will match up to 2.5 inches of lift? For example will i order a shock recommended for two to three inches of lift to make up for the level? I will also be ordering a steering stabilizer along with the shocks just to replace it all while im at it!

I swapped out my thermostat today for a new one and that fixed my issue with the gauge for the most part it doe not sit straight up and down but it is close! And my heat works a ton better so thats a plus!

My next issue is my oil pressure gauge. It seems to read pretty high but the truck still runs fine and every once in awhile it will drop down to normal and then rise slowly again after a few more miles. Its strange. Is there a sensor that feeds the pressure to the gauge on the cluster that would be worth changing??

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And yet another new one for ya guys :( so i changed the stat yesterday and all is well now my heat works and the gauge reads fine but it seems there im leaking coolant now from my drivers side at the bumper almost of the truck. Didnt start happening till after i changed the stat and its not leaking from the upper radiator hose so im almost thinking its coming from the drain plug there at the bottom of the radiator? Would this be a good guess or somewhere else?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Sure sounds like you didn't get the plug all the way back in... Its a step plug if I'm not mistaken on your radiator.

Twist -> pull out -> Twist again...

or

Twist <- push in <- Twist again...

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
If the plug install doesn't help, then it's your seal between the plastic tank and aluminum core...a common problem.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure sounds like you didn't get the plug all the way back in... Its a step plug if I'm not mistaken on your radiator.

Twist -> pull out -> Twist again...

or

Twist <- push in <- Twist again...

Ah okay! That would be a good start because ive tightened it, i thought, until i read your post!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
My orginal radiator sprung a leak in the seal back in 2007. I had a shop (in Phx) who had the proper equipment to open the metal tabs on the core and replace the seal. Cost about 60 bucks. 3 year warranty.
Fast forward to this fall. Same problem...only in Tulsa, no one would attempt a repair, nor warranty thier work. So I ended up with a new radiator. Bought a 2 core off ebay for 119.00 free shipping. Cheaper than any Autoparts store. Got a warranty but not concerned.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went ahead an replaced the radiator yesterday just because it would hav been easier than trying to find a shop this weekend and mess with the hassle. Although now that ive replaced it there is coolant leaking from both hose outlets but it seems both hoses are tight and the clamps seem to be tight down. What would be causing this? The clamps for the hoses in the wrong spot? Its like a steady drip from both outlets where the hoses would go

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There should be a ridge at the very end of both outlets that the clamp should rest up against on the side closest to the radiator. If they're already there and tight, try pulling one off and checking to see if the outlets are cracked. When I worked in a parts store, that was the most common issue we had with them from being dropped during shipping

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah see i have the the clamps on the edges of the hoses almost. Youre a life saver ill look into that first thing in the morning!

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you're using the screw type clamps you tighten with a flathead screwdriver, you could always use a socket to tighten them up if you can't get it tight enough

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
If you're using the screw type clamps you tighten with a flathead screwdriver, you could always use a socket to tighten them up if you can't get it tight enough

I had to use a socket on mine to get them about binding/stripping tight :).

Hey anyexcuse for new tools right? :birgits_tiredcoffee

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha thanks guys i just got a craftsman toolbox filled for christmas so i used both the flathead and a socket to ensure they were tight enough. And they are for sure now!

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Geez... Something is wrong then... On my 02 Dodge Cummins on my 96 Dodge 1500 I've still got the orignal spring clamps from the factory and new hoses but never had a leak. You shouldn't have to tighten down so hard to seal the hoses.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca