New to dodge! Couple questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Geez... Something is wrong then... On my 02 Dodge Cummins on my 96 Dodge 1500 I've still got the orignal spring clamps from the factory and new hoses but never had a leak. You shouldn't have to tighten down so hard to seal the hoses.

Y'know...he's right. All my OEM clamps, what's left of 'em are still holding fine. It's the d**8 screw clamps that I had a problem with.
Some of it (for me) probably has to do with the fancy billet covers.
The rest... blamin' on China. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe it is something wrong with the clamps themselves possibly. I never had a leak before removing them to replace the radiator and i dont recall them being super tight. I think i probably just had them too close to the end of the hose which was a mistake on my part. I had moved them and tightened them today and all seems well now though!

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just an update because i haven't been on in a few days. Well i got the radiator swapped out (and some dude came and picked it up as he was driving by so i didn't have to worry about getting rid of it!) as well as the clamps squared away with no leaks or anything! But of course with my luck, i get one thing taken care of and its something new.

So i was driving to work at about 5:30 a couple mornings ago and i forgot my wallet and my phone. I knew if i didnt turn around then that day would have been the day i needed my wallet more than ever. So i turned around at the end of my neighborhood and went back home to grab it. Well i put the truck in park, hop out and i hear a pop. My lower transmission cooler line busted off the fitting and dumped tranny fluid everywhere. I was not happy due to the fact it was 20 some degrees outside and i was now late to work. So i steal some wheels (aka borrow my sisters car) and figure ill deal with that later.

So i get home from work to fix the truck and i had picked up that line on the way home so i could come home and get straight to work. Them steel lines are no fun to work with and do not want to cooperate with you in the least bit! But i did get those swapped out and filled back up with tranny fluid with no leaks from any fluids whatsoever now!

Probably going to do a tune up and an oil change tomorrow since its my day off! And investigate where this grinding noise is coming from in what sounds like the rear end of my truck? Does anyone know what would cause this? It only happens when i get up to speed like 30 and up and when i lightly press the gas it is noticeable.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Rear end main bearings?

$miley

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha none of those sound fun at all. Smiley, with the rear end main bearing, i cant find any info on google about that? Maybe its time to invest in a chilton i suppose? Thanks for all the suggestions thus far though! This is going to be the next thing i look into getting taken care of.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It may be referred to as pinion bearings too but if you buy a rearend master rebuild kit it will include what you need.

$miley

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That would be the most common it was referred to. I should have googled both before posting! Thanks again!!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Service manual is as good as chiltons and is in the DIY section. Sounds like the bearing.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah I just downloaded the fsm instead. i can just print the pages off as i need them and will be much cheaper! Im going to take a look at the manual and see what all I need to do.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well guys just an update here and another question :). I got the exhaust issue figured out i just decided to throw a magnaflow glasspack on there untill the summer comes around and i can get a cat on there and some duals hopefully. I also wired up my led light bar on the tailgate and came across a problem. My reverse lights dont light up when im backing up? I changed the bulbs today and checked the fuse so all is well there. What else could cause neither one of them to light up?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328231336.913222.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328231336.913222.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be a ground issue

Yeah it got dark pretty quick last night and disnt feel like messing with it too much. I been in class all day and plan on looking into if tonight. Would it be a ground from the harness itself since the grounds run through the harness?

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Yeah it got dark pretty quick last night and disnt feel like messing with it too much. I been in class all day and plan on looking into if tonight. Would it be a ground from the harness itself since the grounds run through the harness?

You would need to look but if it's like the old fords there should be a ground behind your tail light assembly. But have you checked your reverse light switch on the tranny? Could also be a short to. How did the wires look when you changed the bulb? Was there some crud in the light socket?

One more thing. Most people don't realize this but usually with the 1156 and 1157 light there is two "prongs" on the side of the light. One is lower then the other. Did you checks to make sure those went on the correct sides in the socket? Yours may or may not have that.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would need to look but if it's like the old fords there should be a ground behind your tail light assembly. But have you checked your reverse light switch on the tranny? Could also be a short to. How did the wires look when you changed the bulb? Was there some crud in the light socket?

One more thing. Most people don't realize this but usually with the 1156 and 1157 light there is two "prongs" on the side of the light. One is lower then the other. Did you checks to make sure those went on the correct sides in the socket? Yours may or may not have that.

I have the 3157 bulbs so its the plug in kind if that makes sense. Lol

Ill have to open it back up and see the ground situation back there when im changing my plugs tomorrow. I dont reverse much but its bugging me that i bought all new bulb and none of them work. Also sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by reverse light on the tranny?

I did however get my rear end jacked up finally to start investiating my grinding noise i had in the rear end. It seems its not coming from diff, im going to take the cover off and clean it up and put new oil in tomorrow anyway just to inspect everything in there tomorrow. But it seems to be coming from the driveshaft which is steering me towards the u joints like stated earlier. It is also coming from both rotors but i didnt have enough time to take my wheels off and look at those so im going to add it to the list for tomorrow as well.

To help me clear up the u joint solution, when i had it jacked up i could twist the shaft probably about a half of an inch which seemed like a lot of play so please correct me if im wrong?

Thanks for all your help!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well not to sure on the play issue. But a grinding noise on the driveshaft sounds like a bearing. Could be wrong though. Double check it all in the diff to make sure. I feel bad for ya on the ground issue. I had that and it wasn't fun. lol

If it was the U-joints then while the truck is on the ground and you rotate the driveshaft you will find that the shaft will turn but not the joint in the rear if that makes sense. Kinda hard for me to explain.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well not to sure on the play issue. But a grinding noise on the driveshaft sounds like a bearing. Could be wrong though. Double check it all in the diff to make sure. I feel bad for ya on the ground issue. I had that and it wasn't fun. lol

If it was the U-joints then while the truck is on the ground and you rotate the driveshaft you will find that the shaft will turn but not the joint in the rear if that makes sense. Kinda hard for me to explain.

Okay thanks i havent had time to check the diff yet but i wanna take it off and change the oil anyway like i said before so ill try to snap some pics when i do that for a better view for everyone. And thanks ground issues are never fun to hunt down so i just been pulling through spots when i go in public haha

And i think i understand your explanation im just looking for the u joint to move when i move the driveshaft to rule that out correct?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Pretty much. If the joint moves its bad and could break at any point. Had that happen to me on the front. Not a fun experience.

Sent from my apple torching Droid.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh sweet i hope that doesnt happen then. If it was starting to go out would it make any sort of noise like im having?