New Truck - Needs Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drclaw5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys, New here on the forum. I just bought a 2013 white Crew cab with the Hemi. I have some questions about the exhaust. I talked to my exhaust guy and he said he had a few guys come in and put flowmasters, dynomax or other muffles on these trucks and when they go into the eco-mode where it drops cylinders to save fuel, they sound terrible. He said they sounded so bad the guys came back and had the stock muffler put back on. Is this true? I just dont want to waste a bunch of money. I def want it to be louder than it is though. Thanks for the help ahead of time!
*after doing a quick search, Im not sure if my truck has this capability or not?? I do see it go into eco mode but from what I read that doesnt mean the variable displacement kicks in. Any quick way I can tell if it does or not?

BLKMAGIC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the 14" Mufflex kit, which is basically a stainless Magnaflow insert... no exhaust shop necessary, and I LOVE it. Even in Eco mode, there isn't a lot of drone at all, and it has a great tone.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You r truck has MDS which drops to 4 cylinders when possible, to save fuel.
A baffled muffler like FM can sound loud and harsh when in MDS, and maybe on the highway (drone), but it is 100% personal preference.
There is a stickied thread in here where guys have clips of all sorts of exhaust setups which give you a pretty good idea of how they sound.

My vote always goes to Magnaflow; nice deep, throaty V8 rumble from startup to WOT, never harsh. You decide how loud; 14"= most aggressive/loud, 18" mid and 22" mild.
As stated above the Mufflex kits use Magnaflow mufflers with welded pipe to keep them the same length as stock (universal mufflers will all be significantly shorter) so you can bolt one in, in your driveway with basic hand tools.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the cherry bomb extreme on my ram. The MDS isn't all as bad sounding as most people let on like it is. If mine gets to bothering me. I just turn the radio up alittle louder. Or click it into 6th gear to turn MDS off.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did the 14" Mufflex kit, which is basically a stainless Magnaflow insert... no exhaust shop necessary, and I LOVE it. Even in Eco mode, there isn't a lot of drone at all, and it has a great tone.

Second vote for 14" mufflex here, love it, in my opinion anything bigger would be just too quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the cherry bomb extreme on my ram. The MDS isn't all as bad sounding as most people let on like it is. If mine gets to bothering me. I just turn the radio up alittle louder. Or click it into 6th gear to turn MDS off.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

I also have the cherry bomb extreme; in mds, start-up and to full throttle it sounds waaaay better than my old 14" Maggy setup.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Everyone and their dog runs maggies. Sound ok but personally not what I was looking for.

I opted for the Stainlessworks Cat back with the dual "S" type mufflers.

You can find their comparison clip on YouTube and mine in the exhaust clip section.

It's a very deep sounding exhaust. Not obnoxious.

I got rid of the MDS with a tuner. I did run it to the shop once for some warranty work (rear pinion) so I took the tune out.

It sounded like a diesel when the MDS kicked in. Not a fan.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm with Heywood, got a damn good deal on the SW system and just waiting for it to be delivered. I'll let you know how it sounds after the install.

OP
OP
D

drclaw5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone. I went ahead and ordered the 14" mufflex yesterday. In the shop today getting the windows tinted and emblems painted black.

2013 4DW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Please post a sound clip after as I have been looking at Mufflex and Magnaflow for my 2013.

Thanks

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
I'm with Heywood, got a damn good deal on the SW system and just waiting for it to be delivered. I'll let you know how it sounds after the install.

Post a review afterwards. Love to hear what you think of it. If your using a tuner, leave the throttle adjustment at zero. I messed around with the settings there and didn't like the results.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just put a mufflex kit in mine all 3 joints are leaking. Emailed mufflex. 2 days no response. Clamp are fully bottomed out

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Post a review afterwards. Love to hear what you think of it. If your using a tuner, leave the throttle adjustment at zero. I messed around with the settings there and didn't like the results.

I will for sure do that. I am using a tuner what adjustment did you make that you didn't like? I think I have mine set to 15% and it is straight piped right now, so not sure how different it would be. I am just going to say 409 stainless :Hump:

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just put a mufflex kit in mine all 3 joints are leaking. Emailed mufflex. 2 days no response. Clamp are fully bottomed out

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

did you use high temp silicone on the joints as recommended? if not pull it apart and apply some

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
I will for sure do that. I am using a tuner what adjustment did you make that you didn't like? I think I have mine set to 15% and it is straight piped right now, so not sure how different it would be. I am just going to say 409 stainless :Hump:

Throttle boost. 15% gave me a little drone from 1500 to 1850. Zero gave me none... but I'm also running a Vararam and 85mm TB. It might not be an issue for you if your stock.

Then again I might be hypersensitive to it.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah Im not to sensitive to drone I've had my exhaust unbolted for most of the winter and it never bothered me at all. I will for sure let you know if there is anything that bugs me about this kit.

frlawhorn5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the cherry bomb extreme on mine and I love it. Sometimes it sounds bad for a few seconds but kicks back to normal usually I just turn the radio up though. It still has an aggressive sound when you gas it and you can hear it from about a bkock down the road

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981