Newb needs painting advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Close to a year ago I plasti-dipped my Rims to see if I would like the black look. Plasti-dip held up real well. Daily driven, 2 sets of tires, a handful of tire rotations, and regular washes. Starting to peel recently, but I really like the look and want to paint my rims black now. I have little painting experience and would like some tips and advice from y'all :) The stock chrome paint on the rims was peeling prior to the dip and I tried to remove it. Was going to use a wire brush until I noticed it was leaving deep scratches and didn't know if that would affect the outcome. Decided to just dip over the peeling/rust since the dip would be temporary anyway. I'm assuming spray painting would show the peeling below it too?
-What should I do about stripping all the remaining chrome and rust off the rims?
-What kind of sandpaper, what kind of primer, and any preferred black spray paint that you all have used? I would like a satin or gloss look, not sure what yet.
-Or should I try some kind of black liner?
-And last of all any tips or advice so I can do a quality job :D That was the good part about the P dip, If I messed up I can just do it again.

Sorry for the long post, Thanks in advance! :)
-Zak

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Most likely rattle can, don't have a spray gun.
Or should I get a spray gun?

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The outcome will be much better with a spray gun and you will have endless options for paint and primer types and colors. You might try an epoxy primer but im not a pro at painting by any means. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Okay, I will look into that thanks! I'd like to do a quality job.
So what would a need, an air compressor and a spray gun?