Painting factory Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
I have a 2003 Ram 1500 that is black but my wife and kids want me to paint my rims a metalic blue since my rims are dirty from rusty brake dust and I was wondering what and how should I do it ? Thanks in advance for any help before I go cold into it .

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am assuming from the pictures they are silver not chrome clad. Lets start there.

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
painting rims is easy. I would suggest changing brake pads to ceramic ones as they create way less dust. So clean the rims first, I do mean clean. they can't be too clean.
Sand them with sandpaper, I suggest a light 120 grit, then a 150 then a 180 grit. You can skip some grits but honestly that is the part that will give you the best looks so... don't skip a grit. You don't have to pound the day lites out of it either. You want your primer to stick and stick well so once its scratched real good that is enough. Clean the rims again.
Then take a deck of ordinary playing cards, stuff a single card between the rim and tire, overlap with another card and stick it in and go all the way around. This will stop the tire from being painted. Then a quality primer, feel the rim- IF rough then sand to a finer grit, clean when primer is dry and then put your paint on. Use quality rim paint so the job lasts a long time. You will be proud of your work.