No a/c

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblock79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
i have a 2002 ram with 4.7L engine, sat for a year and now no a/c. the clutch on pump is not seized, appears that all fuses and relays are good. all settings on controls were set right but no a/c. so i tried ti charge it and it wont take. the pump never even kicks on. any ideas? im dying here, 90s all week lol

OP
OP
B

bigblock79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
ill have to check tomorrow, mosquitoes are horrible here at night. thanks for the response!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it lost the charge (which it sounds like it did) you have to jump the low pressure cut off to get the compressor to pump.

Also, there is no reason for a system to 'bleed down' if it lost the charge, it will loose this charge too unless you find and fix the leak.

OP
OP
B

bigblock79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
system has pressure, no power getting to the compressor, good fuses throughout. also, I shut the truck off before turning off the headlights, the lights wouldn't turn off until I turned the key back on... don't know whats going on here, lighter doesn't work, radio, cruise control, nothing works at all when key is off, not even dome light. with door open, dome light will come on once key is on

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ummm, sounds like like you've got more than AC issues.
Closely inspect for wire damage from mice etc!

OP
OP
B

bigblock79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
mice shouldn't be an issue, was in a subdivision in a driveway. From what ive been reading while searching threads is that I may need to replace the fuse box?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's pretty interesting. You can take it apart and look at the backside.
See if it's all corroded.

OP
OP
B

bigblock79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
just did the key trick since the scanning port doesn't work and this is what I got:
P1595
P1491
P0645
P0171

Any ideas?

OP
OP
B

bigblock79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
ok, so I was just messing around with my relays and a test light, pulled the a/c clutch relay out just enough to poke at the prongs and grounded my test light to the neg battery terminal. poked at the prongs and it engaged my a/c clutch! it was spinning slowly and the light on my tester was dim. bad ground?

OP
OP
B

bigblock79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
well, took it to a local shop, they seemed pretty sure that my issue was in the fuse box... and money saving ideas or know where i can get a cheap box?

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, so I was just messing around with my relays and a test light, pulled the a/c clutch relay out just enough to poke at the prongs and grounded my test light to the neg battery terminal. poked at the prongs and it engaged my a/c clutch! it was spinning slowly and the light on my tester was dim. bad ground?

Possibly. Do you know which terminal you "poked"? Positive the relay is good?

Look at the back of the fuse box and see what you find. Corrosion, burnt or loose connections. Do this before you replace it.

OP
OP
B

bigblock79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
the one i poked was for sure the ground, the relay is good for sure, i ran a wire straight from that prong to the neg battery cable and the a/c kicks on. thinking about dissecting the box this weekend, if not fixed by monday, going to the shop. ill go from there, anyone know what the truck would be worth as is?

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Then you have a ground issue. Start from the fuse block and work your way out. It sounds like it will be under the fuse block.

Pull it and see but be gentle.

OP
OP
B

bigblock79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
any tips or "dos and donts" for tearing into this fuse box? on vacation all next week so i think ill get into it either tomorrow or monday.

OP
OP
B

bigblock79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
well, i ordered and installed the BRAND NEW Dodge PDC and not only did it not fix anything... it made things worse. I sent them my VIN when ordered, now i have the same issues and in addition, i have no control of my headlights or blinkers... im soo lost. any ideas?