No crank ... radio turns off on key turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joe.franklinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I have a 2008 4.7 1500 Ram that doesn't crank. The headlights do turn on and the horn blows. When I turn on the radio or the Heat/Ac with the key in the "On" position they turn on. However, once I turn the key they both turn off and then will turn back on after about 10 seconds and a "ding" sound once back in the "On" position. Battery is good and also used a boost off a charger just in case. Any help with be greatly appreciated

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did this just happen out of nowhere or was there some significant event like head replacement or starter/alternator replacement prior to this happening?

Almost sounds like old school dirty battery cables or corroded ground.

I'd start with the ignition starter relay it's like 10 bucks and work my way down.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
I would agree with JAMMAN. Something with the battery ground or the positive..... Try looking at the fuses.

OP
OP
J

joe.franklinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Did this just happen out of nowhere or was there some significant event like head replacement or starter/alternator replacement prior to this happening?

Almost sounds like old school dirty battery cables or corroded ground.

I'd start with the ignition starter relay it's like 10 bucks and work my way down.
Turns out the starter was corroded.. new starter and cranks now... now on to a whole new problem... I'm thinking the guy I bought it from went mudding and got the engine wet.... the car cranks now and I had it started for about 5 minutes.. only stayed started with foot on gas... now it won't start at all... what could be my issue? Hydrolock?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

joe.franklinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Only had time to check one plug but that one plug was black. No major output of fluid when trying to crank with the one plug off just light sprays mist which I'm unsuspecting just gas

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk