No More 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1967dart406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well hated to do it but fuel mileage was killing me and only getting worse. After some dealings and headaches with Chrysler and getting no where quickly I decided to walk away from it, I did however replace it with a third gen Cummins. I bought a new dd as well, just a gas mizer to get back and forth to work in. Back to the third gen forums I go lol

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
Very helpful picture for us shopping for 2014s, is the headlight indicator as illuminated as the rest of the dash? For some reason on my dad's 2011 SuperDuty nothing is on the headlight dial and of course it's round so I can't feel where it's set like my current truck. It's a small thing but for some reason it bothers the hell out of me.

OP
OP

1967dart406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Excessive fuel consumption was my major issue, unloaded in town I averaged 8 miles to the gallon driving like a grandpa, on the highway I averaged 9.5. The dealership had the truck for three weeks, verified my concern and the solution was an $800 service outta my pocket that did nothing. The Chrysler rep in this area is a douche. Even with the dealer verifying my issue he wouldn't recognize an issue. The dealer put me in a used truck with 40k miles optioned almost identically and it averaged 16 in city and 18 on highway. The second issue was tire wear which I corrected myself. I found that loaded or unloaded at highway speeds, 55 plus the downforce created in a crew cab changed the stance of the truck which then altered front end alignment, thru the use of airlift bags with 7lbs in the bag the "squat" was eliminated at highway speeds and tire wear issues disappeared

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
If it was a brand new truck it takes about 6-9k miles for the fuel economy to improve. I drive a 2500 megacab Cummins for work and it was a brand new 2013 at the time and it had no miles on it. It took till about 7k miles for the fuel economy to kick in. It went from about 9mpg city to about 16mpg and its now at the estimated range that it should be at. So if you have a new truck, BREAK IT IN.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with your 4th Gen, of course we all know we didn't buy a Ram for fuel economy, but I would be disappointed with those number as well. Glad my 4th Gen gets much better MPG. Enjoy the 3rd Gen!

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Very helpful picture for us shopping for 2014s, is the headlight indicator as illuminated as the rest of the dash? For some reason on my dad's 2011 SuperDuty nothing is on the headlight dial and of course it's round so I can't feel where it's set like my current truck. It's a small thing but for some reason it bothers the hell out of me.

You are not alone! It drove me nuts on both the '11 F250 Lariat and the '12 F 150 FX4 that I had, that the headlight switch was not illuminated. The 4wd selector dial was also not illuminated on the Fords. I love the fact that on the '14 RAM 2500 that I just got has those dials illuminated.

Olli

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins

My wife's mustang is the same, must be a Ford thing. Yes the 2014's will light up at night, however what doesn't light up is the Fog Light button. Not a deal breaker but would look a lot better IMO...

ramenthusiast

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Crew Cab Sport
Engine
It's got a Hemi!
If it was a brand new truck it takes about 6-9k miles for the fuel economy to improve. I drive a 2500 megacab Cummins for work and it was a brand new 2013 at the time and it had no miles on it. It took till about 7k miles for the fuel economy to kick in. It went from about 9mpg city to about 16mpg and its now at the estimated range that it should be at. So if you have a new truck, BREAK IT IN.

I've never gotten below 13mpg in my CC since the day I bought it new. Yes, the mileage got a little better after about 5-6k miles, but it was never as bad as the OP's. Today I get a solid 15 mixed, 18+ on the highway. Something is definitely wrong with a Ram only getting 9mpg that isn't being flogged or abused.

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine brand new, got 18.8 MPG on a 400 mile trip home from the dealership.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anyhow, not a bad move at all, nothing wrong with 3rd gen Cummins, except for the California addition when they had that going in the early years 3rd gen.

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That too bad, I wonder if the tire wear/mpg issue was related, if the front tires were scrubbing it'd have to hurt it, maybe stuck in 4wd, not your problem anymore I guess,.

Side note, my 14 crew 4wd express 8spd did 21.5 mpg home from dealership last week when I bought it, bout 100 miles of 2 lane at 62mph, 15 miles of city, and 20 miles of 75mph freeway. Otherwise 18-19 just running around doing errands. Damn near matched the wife's 09 Aspen Hybrid.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear it didn't work well for you. Those numbers were terrible nd would be unacceptable to me as well.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've never gotten below 13mpg in my CC since the day I bought it new. Yes, the mileage got a little better after about 5-6k miles, but it was never as bad as the OP's. Today I get a solid 15 mixed, 18+ on the highway. Something is definitely wrong with a Ram only getting 9mpg that isn't being flogged or abused.

This entire winter I averaged below 13.

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L

I went with my boss and took it in, the truck had 2 miles on it when it was purchased. Which is the reason why it was burning through fuel so fast. Drove it and got the miles up to I think its around 9k now and its fine. But that's the explanation i from the dealer was that it needed to broken in. And they were right. Nothing was/is wrong with it.

OP
OP

1967dart406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck was a 2wd, the tire issues went away with the airlift set up, mileage never changed, when I got rid of it I had 45k on it so break in wasn't an issue

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for sure something wasn't right. i have just under 500km on my 1500 and i'm getting 26mpg(21 US) mainly highway but some city driving. it's worth noting i'm trying accelerate very slowly and keep the eco indicator on as much as possible

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
i bet the dealer will try to sell that truck you traded in "Excellent Condition 4th gen Ram!"