TRX Shifter into a 4th gen truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
So I grabbed a TRX console this week. Seeing how it is an electronic shifter and the 4th gen 1500s are also electronic shifters- I want to see about getting it to work. I also have an entire 2023 dash including the UC5 radio that I will hopefully get into my truck. Has anyone attempted to convert the shifters? Clearly, the plugs will be different and in different locations, but making an extension/conversion harness should be pretty basic.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I've spent a lot of time reviewing. The trx uses a 8hp90 , vs our 8 speed trucks use the 8hp70, so will be some difference.

The ram gt comes with the same shifter and it uses 8hp70, so I would look at that wiring.

Keep us informed

OP
OP
P

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
I've spent a lot of time reviewing. The trx uses a 8hp90 , vs our 8 speed trucks use the 8hp70, so will be some difference.

The ram gt comes with the same shifter and it uses 8hp70, so I would look at that wiring.

Keep us informed
Correct but the transmission doesn't care about the shifter. The shifter is simply telling the computer what to do. The computer is still controlling the transmission. I'm just wondering if the functions will translate over.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't think the GT package was available on the Gen4 (DS) body trucks. The Gen5 trucks use the 8HP75 transmission. There maybe CANbus communication issues between the two generations vehicles
There are Jeep GC that have console shifters and use the 8HP70 transmission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I grabbed a TRX console this week. Seeing how it is an electronic shifter and the 4th gen 1500s are also electronic shifters- I want to see about getting it to work. I also have an entire 2023 dash including the UC5 radio that I will hopefully get into my truck. Has anyone attempted to convert the shifters? Clearly, the plugs will be different and in different locations, but making an extension/conversion harness should be pretty basic.
Haven't seen anybody use the TRX shifter yet,but the Charger / Challenger and Jeep 8HP70 console shifters are fairly common.I can't see why it couldn't be used though