No TPMS/TPIS Screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Turbo Diesel
2023 Ram 3500 with installed TPIS but no screen in cluster or anywhere else. I know its installed and working because I can see tire pressures in the Ram app on my phone.

Did the factory or dealer forget to program the computer for it?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does your truck have the fully digital instrument cluster, and is it a 3500 single rear wheels?

OP
OP
D

DesertDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Turbo Diesel
It has both the digital and analog cluster (selectable) and is the 3500 srw

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just so we’re talking about the same cluster, is it this one with the fully digital display screen:
IMG_5497.jpeg

Or is it this one with the digital display in the middle, and physical analog gauges on each side:
IMG_0357.jpeg

OP
OP
D

DesertDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Turbo Diesel
Ah! It is the fully digital one, no physical analog gauges

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok, for some reason, that cluster does not populate the tire pressure screen when the body control module is configured for TPIS and 3500 SRW.
The only known way to get the tire pressure screen to populate on your truck is to use alfaobd and configure it for TPMS instead of TPIS.

OP
OP
D

DesertDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Turbo Diesel
Copy that! Thank you for this information. Apparently it wasn’t programmed correctly. Perhaps I can get the dealership to fix it as I don’t have the alfaobd. Really appreciate your help.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dealership can’t fix it, and they can’t reconfigure for TPMS either.
The programming that is being sent to the cluster is correct, but for whatever reason, when the cluster is told that it’s a 3500 SRW, it doesn’t populate that menu (it does for the 3500 DRW’s).
So, after listening to the dealership tell you that your truck isn’t supposed to have that feature, and a bunch of other excuses, they ultimately need to be convinced to open up a star case so the engineers can fix the actual cluster firmware.

OP
OP
D

DesertDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Turbo Diesel
Hells bells…. Payed more for this truck than my first house…. As it is now configured, will I still get an alarm or idiot light should one of the tires start to loose pressure?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hells bells…. Payed more for this truck than my first house…. As it is now configured, will I still get an alarm or idiot light should one of the tires start to loose pressure?
No, but that is by design of the TPIS feature even if you do have the tire pressure menu screen. It’s an information only system (you have to deliberately scroll to that screen to see pressures even if they’re low).

If you want to be alerted when a tire starts to go low, you actually will have to use alfaobd to configure for TPMS, which is an active monitoring system.

That’s how it’s always been with ram trucks- 3500’s (vehicles above 10,000 GVWR) get TPIS, but 2500’s (vehicles 10,000 GVWR and below) are required to have TPMS.

OP
OP
D

DesertDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Turbo Diesel
You’re just bundle after bundle of good news!!! Okay, basically I’ve got to do the alfaobd to do anything to this (right now) useless function of my truck. As I’m rv’ing in the southwest right now, guess I’ll revisit this when I get home and consider getting that alfaobd

OP
OP
D

DesertDrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Turbo Diesel
I already have the OBDLINK MX+. Now I’ll need to research what else I need. I seem to recall that I’ll need some sort of bypass cable as well as the alfaobd, is that correct?