Odd starting noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AOFA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6
2017 2500 Cummins

Please see video of the odd noise during the manifold pre heat. This is not the truck trying to start. It happens during remote start or when you turn the key to the on position (pre-heat), then the truck starts fine.

It only happens when the truck has sat for 12+ hours. The temp was about 0c/32f.

Batteries have been load tested 3 different times including at a ram stealership. No issues.

Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I wouldn't trust the dealership battery testing and was the load test done with the batteries cold? Check the static voltage before you start the truck when it's that cold also. The grid heater draws a lot of current.
As for the sound, one thing that might make a noise would be the turbo actuator.

You might want to change your profile as you have your truck listed as a 3.0L EcoDiesel.

OP
OP
AOFA

AOFA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6
I wouldn't trust the dealership battery testing and was the load test done with the batteries cold? Check the static voltage before you start the truck when it's that cold also. The grid heater draws a lot of current.
As for the sound, one thing that might make a noise would be the turbo actuator.

You might want to change your profile as you have your truck listed as a 3.0L EcoDiesel.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I will look into that.

The two other battery checks were done by reputable battery shops.

Batteries were warm when load tested.

OP
OP
AOFA

AOFA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6
Anyone else have any thoughts?

rw2018Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just a thought but could it be that the solenoid on the starter going out or the starter itself. It almost seems like when the load hits it that it can't pull enough amps at first but then either a wire or something heats up and makes a better connection. The sound seems like just not enough voltage/weak battery the first couple times but once it does catch it really spins the starter good.