OEM Subwoofer and OEM Amplifier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rosser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, so I have my hands on a OEM Subwoofer, Amplifier and the wiring harness from the radio unit to the amplifier. I also have the 8.4 with nav I got from infotainment.com. If I install it all, is it a plug and play or is there more? I thought I’ve seen alphaOBD was used too which I have. My truck did have the basic Tradesman radio which has been swapped out

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Amplifier for the subwoofer or amplifier as in the upgraded Alpine system amplifier? If you had a Tradesman and upgraded your radio to a 8.4 from Infotainment, that radio has a built in amplifier. That headunit doesn’t use the external amp and to the best of my knowledge cannot use the Alpine amp. It is possible to use an aftermarket amp with a 8.4 head unit but I don’t believe the OEM Alpine unit will work.

OP
OP
R

Rosser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So would just plugging in the subwoofer under the seat work of the 8.4 head unit have a built in amp? This audio for this truck is all new to me

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So would just plugging in the subwoofer under the seat work of the 8.4 head unit have a built in amp? This audio for this truck is all new to me
No, you'll need a separate amplifier. I use this one tapped into the passenger rear speaker at the B-Pillar for signal...

Many also replace the factory sub too...

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can imagine it’s disappointing the Alpine parts you have won’t integrate with your system but the Alpine system wasn’t all that great anyway. The six speaker 8.4 system can sound very good with some upgrades. Namely the speakers! The OEM speakers are cheap paper cone types. If you upgrade the speakers you’ll be surprised how good the system can sound. After that a small amp like the Kicker Key can really make the system pop. Some people add a sub too. It’s personal preference but I think the bass is fairly good if you use component speakers in the front. If you have any questions there are a lot of answers on this forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500