oil change interval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZSTEELE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Long Horn
Engine
Cummins HO (ETM)
2019 6.7 Cummins HO, Aisin 3500 Crew Cab DRW

After the first 10K, I changed over to Amsoil Signature Series Max Duty Synthetic (10W-30) and the Amsoil EAO80 oil filter (also dropped and replaces transmission & differentials with Ansoil)
I drop my oil & filter at between 15K & 18K (even though drain intervals can go to 25K, because the truck idles & runs 24 hours a day for several days consecutive).
70K miles in the 1st 6 months. I've been using Amsoil Synthetic in everything I own with a motor for 30+ years, never a single incident or problem.

That's how we roll. My 2 penny's worth.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Yeah, in a sense. The MDS; multi-displacement system- only kicks in when you’re driving and your throttle input is low. Then, your V8 becomes a big ole V4 until you start easing on the pedal again.

But if your truck is at least a 4th Gen, it’ll have MDS. Even my ‘08 had it and it was a 3rd-Gen. The new ‘19 model year, they introduced the Etorque which I believe didn’t have the MDS but you could still op for the non-Etorque Hemi that did still have MDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, the eTorque did come with the MDS. I get that green "ECO" light on my dash when I am able to find some open road in front of me (you know, without someone hitting their brakes every few seconds because they looked up from their phone and realized they were still driving) and can hold a steady speed.

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to change the oil in my 2019 classic 5.7L myself. i already got 7 quarts of full syn oil and a filter. Im reading that this oil can go 10K but I feel like that's way too long. How often should I change it? I live in Houston, Tx and just use it for going to work and back 5 days a week. Right now it has 22K miles.
I use Mobil 1 5W-20 with a Mobil 1 filter changed every 5K miles.

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely no more than 5,000 mile oil change intervals on these sensitive engines. Or GDI engines, either. Forget about the oil change indicator and the marketing hype in the User Manual. Can't trust these companies anymore.

Lest you think I'm paranoid, look at all the valve lifter and camshaft failures on here. Exhaust bolt breakage, too.
Agreed! 5K with Mobil 1 on mine with Mobil 1 filter. Same with my 2012 Cadillac CTS coupe with the 3.6 HFV6, another engine very sensitive to oil maintenance.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Agreed! 5K with Mobil 1 on mine with Mobil 1 filter. Same with my 2012 Cadillac CTS coupe with the 3.6 HFV6, another engine very sensitive to oil maintenance.

Wife has Chevy Traverse with GM 3.6 HFV6 engine. It's a fine engine, but single injector GDI, with VVT. It needs 5k max oil changes. It soot-loads during rich burn operation (accleration, hills, etc.), and fine solenoid oil passages on cam phaser actuators.

More expensive GDI engines spend the extra money for dual injectors - one upstream in intake manifold for rich burn loaded operation like conventional SMPFI, the other the GDI injector for lean burn cruising operation. But, $$$$

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
as previously mentioned I changed the first time at 1111 miles and today I had to take my truck in for some warranty work (can't unlock doors with fob when using remote start) and the service writer asked if I wanted the oil changed as I had 2 free oil changes listed under my vin. I had 4953 miles on the odometer so 3842 miles was the second interval...I will increase the next to 5000 miles. my oil minder showed I was at 56%. I always change my own oil but decided to let them do it and to my surprise they only spilled a little oil under the hood but probably less than a cap full so easy clean up. they did slightly over fill it. I checked the oil before taking it in and at 3842 miles it was slightly down on the dip stick from full. Not close to the add mark yet tho.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Never hurts to do it every 5000 miles but the oil today is better than say back in the 80's or early 90's the best thing would be take a sample of your oil from this change and get it looked at to see what the quality / life of it is with your driving habits and go from there . I change mine every 5000 just because it is cheaper than a new engine .

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, the eTorque did come with the MDS. I get that green "ECO" light on my dash when I am able to find some open road in front of me (you know, without someone hitting their brakes every few seconds because they looked up from their phone and realized they were still driving) and can hold a steady speed.

That green Eco light isn’t the MDS. All that does is illuminate when you’re driving in a very fuel-saving manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regarding the broken manifold bolts, doesn't bolt companies such as ARP make high strength bolts that would be a cheaper option than headers?

The benefits of headers USUALLY won't be noticed until wide open throttle.

OP
OP
El_Dude

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
Regarding the broken manifold bolts, doesn't bolt companies such as ARP make high strength bolts that would be a cheaper option than headers?

The benefits of headers USUALLY won't be noticed until wide open throttle.
I think, and someone please correct if wrong, that simply replacing the bolts won't help and could make things worse. The problem is that the manifold warps and pulls away from the cylinder head on one of the ends snapping the bolt. If a stronger bolt was in there, it couldn't break the threads on the aluminum head whilst the warping manifold pulls on the bolts. This is why either the sanded down manifold or replacing with shorty headers with new bolts is the solution.

Now I have not done any fix on my truck but will try to get to this before bolts snap on mine. Will probably go the shorty header route. I found some bbk ones on eBay for under $400.

Sent from my OnePlus 8 using Tapatalk

earl.allen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I shoot for 5,000 and never go more than 6,000. Mine is a 2008 w/ 4.7L and 155,020 miles. Runs like a charm.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Amsoil signature series 5W-20 and their top of the line filter 1 year 25,000 miles guaranteed. Been doing it for years now, with several vehicles, no issue with dealer either for any warranty issue. Just keep your receipts. I would not do it with any other brand synthetic except the penzoil which is the factory fill on the 6.4 engine and made from natural gas.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chrysler says do not go longer than 12 months or 10,000 miles.
However, that seems excessive for the semi-synthetic that comes with the truck and what my dealer would use.
I only put 5k-6k a year on my truck, so I change it at least a couple times a year regardless.

Octane

Reaction score
Regardless of what the manual says, I doe an oil change every 3k. I'm from the old school.
It never hurts and brings some piece of mind.I usually go to 4 to maybe 4500 miles but never more and I'm fairly rural out here and never any rush hour traffic.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Only put on about 5K a yr.,change every 6 mo.,mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 w/ fram ultra xg-16 filter.I also grew up changing oil every 3 mo. or 3k.I have a little faith in moden oil but theres no way I would leave it in there for a whole yr.