Oil Change Nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is why you never tell the dealership anything. I would just tell them this happened and I don't know why. Either way dealer is trying to pull a fast one.

How are they trying to pull a fast one? Do you know for a fact the motor is not damaged? It does not take long to damage a motor running it with no oil pressure.
I love how fast people are to pour it on.
If it was double gasketed and the motor is damaged it is his fault and responsibility, end of story.
If FCA decides to help out that is good on them.
For the dealer or customer to lie to FCA it is warranty fraud.
It may suck but take some personal responsibility.

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
If it were me.........More than likely the truck is parked outside in the lot somewhere....Go change the oil and filter right where it sits...Start it up and you will know what the deal is...If it's quiet and shows oil pressure, drive it home....BUT....Keep and eye on the oil cooler....

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI, factory oil filter is stamped "factory" on the end cap.
Mine was as well..I found that amusing. Also I didn't find it absurdly tight like the OP did on his Ram.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If I messed up, I would be the first to admit it. I physically put my finger on the gasket of the old filter. I'm willing to take a polygraph to back up my story.

Golden cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
One of the first oil changes I did on my 03 2500 Hemi I did a double gasket. It was really late at night and dark and I didn't even look to see if the gasket came off with the old filter. Luckily I've always looked under the vehicle right after starting to make sure there are no leaks and at exactly the time I bent down to look under the truck that second gasket let loose and it was like getting shot in the face with a garden hose of oil! I can tell you that will never happen again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Unreal I am so sorry.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I messed up, I would be the first to admit it. I physically put my finger on the gasket of the old filter. I'm willing to take a polygraph to back up my story.

That wasn't directed at you. More all the posters automatically assuming the dealer is trying to screw you.
Even still, if it was double gasketed, weather the new filter came with 2 or the original or whatever. You were the last one to change the filter.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How are they trying to pull a fast one? Do you know for a fact the motor is not damaged? It does not take long to damage a motor running it with no oil pressure.
I love how fast people are to pour it on.
If it was double gasketed and the motor is damaged it is his fault and responsibility, end of story.
If FCA decides to help out that is good on them.
For the dealer or customer to lie to FCA it is warranty fraud.

99% of dealers do. Have you checked the General Section of this forum? It doesn't even sound like the dealer tried to just put oil in it. You can't tell a motor is blown by just looking at it. (Well sometimes, but I think he would of stated he saw physical damage) The OP doesn't seem incompetent - pulling over as soon as the oil light comes on - there shouldn't any damage... otherwise what the hell is the point of the light. I'm with everyone else - do an oil change and start it. If it's blown - he's not going to hurt it much more. I sure as hell wouldn't trust a dealer that did barley any testing but wants to charge me 10k.

Last edited:

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe I am giving the dealer to much credit. I would assume they put a filter on it, filled it with oil and started it.
99% of dealers try to defraud customers? Maybe where you come from, I don't know.
Also I dont think the OP is incompetent. He pulled over as soon as he could as soon as he noticed the light.
It only takes about 2 lbs of oil pressure to keep the light off, at idle you can run a long time on 2 lbs. At highway speed under load not so much.

Last edited:

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

How did the dealer determine that the motor is trashed? What exactly was their analysis? Did they put a new filter on, fill with oil, and test drive it? I would meet them at the dealership, and show you exactly what they have done, and why they believe the motor is ruined. Have them start it up with you there.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How did the dealer determine that the motor is trashed? What exactly was their analysis? Did they put a new filter on, fill with oil, and test drive it? I would meet them at the dealership, and show you exactly what they have done, and why they believe the motor is ruined. Have them start it up with you there.
I was wondering this too

Mayh3m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As with most everyone else here.. Drain it, fill it, and run it. If it is blown no harm no foul out of the money for the oil change. Likely everyone here would spend the change for that instead of the possible $10k plus you could be looking at.

OP
OP
S

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going up there to talk to them as soon as I can. Surprisingly enough the quote I got for them to replace the entire thing came out shockingly low. Just over 8k with tax out the door. I'm going to ask to see their justification on it needing a new engine. I'd prefer to do that in person and not over the phone.

Mayh3m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going up there to talk to them as soon as I can. Surprisingly enough the quote I got for them to replace the entire thing came out shockingly low. Just over 8k with tax out the door. I'm going to ask to see their justification on it needing a new engine. I'd prefer to do that in person and not over the phone.

Get them to put it in writing.. EVERYTHING.. Including how they came up with the conclusion of it needing replaced. Troubleshooting, etc..

Best of luck!!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would also get a second opinion if they are dead-set on that. If the engine is shot - it may just need re-built and not a whole new engine. In this case - I would say might as well starting looking at upgrading the cam and heads.... if your going to do it ... might as well get some more power from it.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The dealer most likely took the truck out for a test drive, a seizeded it up. My opinion. How else would they know the engine is ruined?

bretttn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The dealer most likely took the truck out for a test drive, a seizeded it up. My opinion. How else would they know the engine is ruined?
Oh man that's just a scary thought!! No way to prove anything [emoji32] Just don't even want to think about that [emoji90]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just got back from the dealership. The process they used to determine the engine was shot was to first check the oil level in the engine, add oil till it was full, then attempt to start the truck.
I did see the filter with the double gasket. There was definitely two gaskets there, of course I wasn't there when they took the filter off but there is two gaskets there.
I contacted corporate which was the biggest waste of my time to date. Of course the lady on the phone doesn't care that I am a life long customer who purchases a new vehicle every 2 years and the last 6 purchases I have made have been MOPAR. I asked for the call to be escalated and I was in no way shape or form satisfied. I offered to provide an affidavit and take a polygraph test to back my story, to which they said "That won't be necessary" to which I replied "Obviously because with those things you may have to realize you could be at fault." They also told me that changing my own oil voids my warranty to which I asked why the owners manual tells me how much and which kind of oil to use with no such warning. Needless to say it took everything I had to keep my cool during that phone call, but I did. I get it, she has to basically read a script.

I am in talks with my insurance company now. More to come...

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it wouldn't start? Did they attempt to start it for you? I'd want to see and hear with my own eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk