Oil Change or Not...What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
So I am driving the '19 Laramie to Canada and back for a fishing trip June 16-24. 1400-ish miles round trip. Truck info says my oil life is at 35% today; likely between 30-35% by next Friday. If you were me, would you change it before the trip, or wait until after. The new filter and synthetic oil are sitting on the garage shelf. Thanks
In my opinion, I would change it, but I was always overkill on maintenance. I change the oil in my 2019 Classic 5.7L long before it ever gets to 40-45% life remaining. My truck is 3 years old this month with 36,000 kms (22,400 miles) and I have changed the engine oil and filter 8 times already. Yes it is overkill, but here in New Brunswick Canada, in the winter temperatures of -30 to -35 Celsius (-22 to -31 F) are common, and either you let your truck run one or two or three cycles of the remote start before the temp gauge moves (this truck is extremely cold blooded and has been since I bought it new-dealer says there is nothing wrong????), or I have lots of short drives where condensation in the engine would be a problem. A lot of posts on here say you can't idle a 5.7L or you will have cam/lifter problems......... so which is worse????? I try not to idle any more than necessary, and I change my oil way before I have to.

Craig52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your oil life is at 35% that translates to 3500 miles left according to recommended change interval. Your trip will be 1400 miles. Change it upon your return!

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I am driving the '19 Laramie to Canada and back for a fishing trip June 16-24. 1400-ish miles round trip. Truck info says my oil life is at 35% today; likely between 30-35% by next Friday. If you were me, would you change it before the trip, or wait until after. The new filter and synthetic oil are sitting on the garage shelf. Thanks
Holy cow change the oil already. Fresh oil change before a long trip is always a good idea.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Change it. Oil breaks down from fuel contamination & age. I’ve seen vehicles with low miles smoke like a freight train. Then the oil is changed & no smoke. You have it already change it. You don’t know what you’ll experience on your trip. You may have to drive it hard to avoid getting stuck (mud/sand) whatever . Just mo

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Change it when you get back. My 2010 has 205,000 miles on it. Started out with CONVENTIONAL OIL. Dealer changed it to Semi Synthetic then Synthetic a few of years ago. I used to put around 1,000 miles a week on it. I didn't drop everything and get an oil change when it said CHANGE OIL SOON. Engine is untouched and still runs like a bat out of hell.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I change every 5k miles and look at the difference between it and 10k as my buffer for such a trip. Chrysler says no more than 10k miles at any rate. The computer % does not tell the whole story as to oil condition. I have done two lab analysis in the 111k miles I’ve owned my 16 Hemi. The one change at 8800 miles after a transcon round trip was followed by lab analysis saying about 35% of my Shell Rotella Gas 5w20 additive package was left with no noticeable wear byproducts. That was at 98k miles. So, let your best judgement guide you. I’d not start a 1400 mile round trip as you are about to embark with the onboard system showing 30-35%. Oil and good filter are cheap insurance. Grease is cheaper than steel.

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry. Oil life indicator means nothing to me. Oil change every 3 - 3.5K regardless. Yeah, I know...I'm old school.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cant believe some of you guys really go by that oil life indicator. To each his own. I do full synthetic rated for 12k and change it at 8500. I think any sooner is wasting oil and money.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The oil isn't the weak point, it's the filter. Good oil can go 24 000km no problem.... But good luck finding a filter that can last

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I cant believe some of you guys really go by that oil life indicator. To each his own. I do full synthetic rated for 12k and change it at 8500. I think any sooner is wasting oil and money.
I agree, and it would be great if we could program that indicator to only alert us at a particular mileage that we choose...say, 8000 miles. The problem is, the "Change Oil Soon" light comes on at, let's say, 5000 miles. If I don't want to change the oil at that time, I have to reset the system then remember for the next 3000 miles to change it at 8000...then reset the system again. It becomes burdensome after a bit.

REDNECK28871

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 CLASSIC 5.7
Engine
Are you serious!? You got the oil n filter! with all the
cam n lifter problems CHANGE THE OIL!

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion, I would change it, but I was always overkill on maintenance. I change the oil in my 2019 Classic 5.7L long before it ever gets to 40-45% life remaining. My truck is 3 years old this month with 36,000 kms (22,400 miles) and I have changed the engine oil and filter 8 times already. Yes it is overkill, but here in New Brunswick Canada, in the winter temperatures of -30 to -35 Celsius (-22 to -31 F) are common, and either you let your truck run one or two or three cycles of the remote start before the temp gauge moves (this truck is extremely cold blooded and has been since I bought it new-dealer says there is nothing wrong????), or I have lots of short drives where condensation in the engine would be a problem. A lot of posts on here say you can't idle a 5.7L or you will have cam/lifter problems......... so which is worse????? I try not to idle any more than necessary, and I change my oil way before I have to.
You’re a smart man. I suspect you are sought after when folks hear you’re about ready to trade. Taking care of business. Oil and filters are cheaper than rebuilds.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
There are a lot of people (older) who base their oil change intervals on the oil that was used prior to 2000 or even 1970. Oil is many times better now than it was then and engines are made with much closer tolerances now. The oil is going to last longer. Just follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I've never seen a manufacturer's service recommendation that was conservative when they could make more money by doing things more often. I'll change my oil according to the book, but truthfully I expect the oil would last twice as long as they say. Service recommendations are based more to make money than requirements. And the same people posting here who swear you should change the oil more often are the same people who say to ignore other service recommendations. Read carefully and don't follow blindly.

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always ignore those percenteges and go striclly on mileage. I stick to 5k, plus or minus 500.