Oil filter removal on hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Step 1 - get a 2 post lift
Step 2 - mess free oil change

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use an oil filter cap with a socket wrench. Once you loosen it, grab a sandwich baggie and wrap it over to continue loosening. It will save all the oil dumping.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait. Are you saying to remove the oil filter before draining the oil pan?
That is exactly what I'm saying. By pulling the filter first, it allows the oil in the oil galleries to drain easier. End result, you get more dirty oil out of engine.
Prove it to yourself, pull the drain plug, let the oil out until you are sure it is drained then reinstall the plug and then remove filter, wait a couple of minutes then pull the drain plug again. This experiment works better if you use a separate drain pan to actually see how much residual oil is drained.

Last edited:

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never thought of that.

Gonna try when I get around to changing the oil this week.
I've been doing it like that for years, don't get a lot, about a cup or so but I want as much of the old stuff out as possible.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
(B) When tightening oil filter, don't Hulk it! Rule of thumb I was always taught, after the rubber gasket makes contact. It's a 3/4 turn from there, not more.
I always hand tighten only. You don't, as @CalDad14 said, need to he-man it. If you use only your wrist strength to tighten it, it WILL be tight enough, and you'll be able to remove it easily enough without any special tools.

Worst case, if you ever come across an oil filter that's on so tight that you can't even get it off with an oil filter wrench, you can punch through it using a large screwdriver - you'll of course destroy the filter, but you're not supposed to reuse them anyway (except in an emergency where you have not other option! And THEN you need to swap it for a new one ASAP).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat