Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This one has royal purple and prolator in it.

Surprisingly RP was restrictive.
Purolator boss was as good in filtration without being restrictive.

That's my take too. The Fram Ultra is what I've been using, mainly due to availability and excellent filtering but I always figured it'd do a little worse in the flow rate tests and this proves it.

The PB was a complete dark horse, never saw that coming.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Good posts, as far as the brands, the issue with those tests are that none of them are the large 20-820 which is gonna have a vastly different outcome. We know the 10-48 cousin filter by amsoil has restrictive qualities, and the one tested was similar in size to that. The good news is something I had been hinting on and the wix xp which is gonna be best in flow, not to be confused with best in show, feel me. Someone could decide between trapping and filtering ability and flow. There is an argument for flow over micron? That was a nice test, but also the other two tests were also nice tests, page 1 and 93? So take in all of the info and make a decision, and we all may have to make a different choice as the mighty 20-820 has no signs of being born again. So thanks for the post, which filter would everyone chose if not for 20-820? Is where this thread should be headed.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Great....another test I gotta catch up to.

I'm all for improvement, but too often this is all just corporate buyout and cost reductions....which are usually performance reductions, too.

Thanks, @ramffml I think.

If this latest tester is a reasonable representation, the only thing not new to me is Wix XP & NAPA Platinum being rock catchers with high flow.

Fram XG more restrictive than I thought. Not good. Fram Endurance a bit better.

But what is up with Purloator Boss? Where did those damn near perfect results come from? Didn't they have filter failures not that many years ago?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That filter is 5/8's inch wide smaller and 6 holes instead of the 8 in the 20-820. Really shows how bad of a choice it is to have smaller filters with less holes? Another angle to that video. When it comes to the smaller filters isn't that proof wix xp is a better choice? So then why wouldn't it be for larger filters as well? It would be nice to have the larger filters with extra holes tested, until then it is theory.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That filter is 5/8's inch wide smaller and 6 holes instead of the 8 in the 20-820. Really shows how bad of a choice it is to have smaller filters with less holes? Another angle to that video. When it comes to the smaller filters isn't that proof wix xp is a better choice? So then why wouldn't it be for larger filters as well? It would be nice to have the larger filters with extra holes tested, until then it is theory.

I don't know! lol

At what point do we conclude the Hemi is such an oil-starved drama queen (except for those that put in the high flow oil pump(s)) that we just say screw the filtration and put in an open can?

I mean, seriously.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Summit Racing and Texas Speed and Performance has the Royal Purple 20-820 in stock online.

TS&P lists their price @$15.99, but then there's the delivery cost that's probably higher than a giraffe's phallus.

Royal Purple Direct showing the 20-820 out stock?

Idk.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The thing is though, these are positive displacement oil pumps, they're going to get the same amount of oil at the same amount of time after startup regardless of the filter flow rate; it just means the pressure in the system is higher (which we can see in our trucks, my PSI is never below 40 even when idling hot).

And if the filter is so badly restrictive that its about to cause an issue, then the filter goes into pressure relief for a few seconds until the rpms drop back down after that initial rev on startup, and when its in pressure relief everything is getting oiled.

So I'm not convinced yet that the lower flow rate is an actual problem other than possibly hitting bypass, but its not like during bypass that suddenly the system is getting flooded with dirty oil it just means that at that point it's not filtering.

Right? Or am I getting something wrong here.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So, I watched the oil test video and noted that ZeeOSix from BITOG (a highly respected member, unlike many) consulted on the test rig, which makes me think the test was pretty good.

What I wanted to know is if Purolator, now owned by Mann-Hummel, fixed their design so the media no longer tears. There was a huge problem with this in the 2010's, Zee says it was media too brittle with wide pleat spacing leading to tears - i.e. - the media was efficient but not enough area for support. He's saying this is still the case on Purolator One, I would assume also for Boss?

I guess that's pointing us toward Fram Endurance? Here's the recent BITOG discussion -->

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The thing is though, these are positive displacement oil pumps, they're going to get the same amount of oil at the same amount of time after startup regardless of the filter flow rate; it just means the pressure in the system is higher (which we can see in our trucks, my PSI is never below 40 even when idling hot).

And if the filter is so badly restrictive that its about to cause an issue, then the filter goes into pressure relief for a few seconds until the rpms drop back down after that initial rev on startup, and when its in pressure relief everything is getting oiled.

So I'm not convinced yet that the lower flow rate is an actual problem other than possibly hitting bypass, but its not like during bypass that suddenly the system is getting flooded with dirty oil it just means that at that point it's not filtering.

Right? Or am I getting something wrong here.

You're spot-on, IMO. The issue is the flow down back to sump can be slower if using a viscous oil, but that's independent of the filter, and a different discussion.

In theory, positive displacement pumps would mean filter flow restriction makes no difference - but perhaps there is a difference between the bypass valve restrictions between filter brands such that cold starts do effect oil delivery? Remember Burla had ticking with some oil filter types.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a question. I'm going to order one of the Pacbrake filter relocation setups. They take filters with the standard M22 x 1.5 threads.

What filter would I use with this? The 20-820 (I can buy these from Royal Purple Australia) or the 20-500 which I can buy through Amazon a little cheaper?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So, I watched the oil test video and noted that ZeeOSix from BITOG (a highly respected member, unlike many) consulted on the test rig, which makes me think the test was pretty good.

What I wanted to know is if Purolator, now owned by Mann-Hummel, fixed their design so the media no longer tears. There was a huge problem with this in the 2010's, Zee says it was media too brittle with wide pleat spacing leading to tears - i.e. - the media was efficient but not enough area for support. He's saying this is still the case on Purolator One, I would assume also for Boss?

I guess that's pointing us toward Fram Endurance? Here's the recent BITOG discussion -->

So from a brief scan it looks like they're talking about purolator "one" not "boss" used in the video test above, and the boss was supposed to have fixed that but zeeosix doesn't differentiate whether he still sees tears in the boss.

Very interesting, might have to keep digging.

I'd agree with Fram Endurance but that's also only something you can get in the USA apparently so the top two choices here I can't get.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just a question. I'm going to order one of the Pacbrake filter relocation setups. They take filters with the standard M22 x 1.5 threads.

What filter would I use with this? The 20-820 (I can buy these from Royal Purple Australia) or the 20-500 which I can buy through Amazon a little cheaper?

You can use either the 20-820 or the 20-500, same filters as without the pacbrake except now you have so much room you could mount a paint can under it so filter size isn't an issue.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So from a brief scan it looks like they're talking about purolator "one" not "boss" used in the video test above, and the boss was supposed to have fixed that but zeeosix doesn't differentiate whether he still sees tears in the boss.

Very interesting, might have to keep digging.

I'd agree with Fram Endurance but that's also only something you can get in the USA apparently so the top two choices here I can't get.

Sorry, thought you guys could get Endurance @ Wally's.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a few RP 20-820's and after those are used, I may start using the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance filter, because I can readily get that off the shelf at Wal"-Mark".
I'm dancing with this girl very soon, and seeing how different filters tick or not on my truck, we will know soon how well she puts out.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Take a die grinder to all the sharp edges you can get at on the Pac Brake kit. Sharp corners and oil flow don't go hand in hand,and after looking one of their kits over close,i'm not impressed with it,especially for the cost. If you haven't bought the Pac Brake kit yet,i'd seriously consider this set-up instead,but upgrade the hoses and fittings to 5/8" ( -10).Allows you to use the big old style 3/4-16 filters like the 30-8 filter. You get twice the filter capacity,and less pressure drop across the 2 filters.

Attachments

• DSCN4954.JPG
    DSCN4954.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 6

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I've cut these filters open(Purolator Boss PBL 24651, WIX XP 57899XP)in the recent past and am posting a few pics again, for arguments sake and visual for comparison to the Royal Purple 20-820.

The Purolator Boss PBL 24651 imo, is just as good or equal quality as the Royal Purple 20-820.

The by-pass valve on the Purolator Boss is different that it is fixed to the bottom of the filter using a spring retainer type clip instead of the traditional "leaf spring" by-pass valve set up that most of the other filters have.

The WIX XP 57899XP(Royal Purple 20-820 equivalent)has an altogether different by-pass spring. The filter media rests on an coiled spring, unlike the leaf spring style, and the by-pass valve is independently spring loaded.

The filter media on the Purolator Boss PBL 24651 has instead of an "metal screen" it has an synthetic type mesh that is very resilient to being torn/ripped. The media is also very competitive as the RP 20-820. The "SmartFUSION TECHNOLOGY" on the Purolator Boss is rated 99%+ on dirt removal capacity and 15,000mi/24,000km.

The WIX XP 57899XP filter media is an carbon copy of the Royal Purple 20-820 having the metal screen mesh on the filter media

The bass plates on the WIX and Purolator Boss have only six inlets compared to the Royal Purple 20-820, but are rather large, so I wouldn't think that that would hamper oil flow, idk.

Over all, IMHO, these two filters in comparison to the Royal Purple 20-820 are a good quality match.

Attachments

• IMG_20240510_092342735.jpg
    IMG_20240510_092342735.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240510_095753715.jpg
    IMG_20240510_095753715.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240510_095747351_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240510_095747351_HDR.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240510_095741219_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240510_095741219_HDR.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 13

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Another pic for visual comparison of the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance to the Royal Purple 20-820 is an carbon copy exact in quality with the difference being the amount and size of the inlet holes, eight on the Royal Purple 20-820 and six on the FRAM FE2.

I would not hesitant to use the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance oil filter. I might give it try and it's cheaper in price and on the shelf at Wal"-Mark" ...

Attachments

• IMG_20240510_101935502_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240510_101935502_HDR.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: