Oil level on dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Today I changed the oil in my 5.7 myself for the first time. The place that changed my oil previously had it filled to where the oil went up to the start of the second hump in the dipstick, well above the hole indicating full. After changing the oil today the oil level is at the same spot. Is this too full? Should I drain it slightly to where the oil is level with the full hole, or is it fine where it is?

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Today I changed the oil in my 5.7 myself for the first time. The place that changed my oil previously had it filled to where the oil went up to the start of the second hump in the dipstick, well above the hole indicating full. After changing the oil today the oil level is at the same spot. Is this too full? Should I drain it slightly to where the oil is level with the full hole, or is it fine where it is?

The 5.7L hemi only holds 7 quarts (6.6L) how much did you use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with DK500. As long as you put 7 qts in it just note where it is on the dipstick (maybe mark it with a permanent marker) and don't worry about it. I haven't seen one yet that was at or below the full mark.

OP
OP
JS1500

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After looking back at the bottle, I put about 6.7 liters/7.07 quarts. And that includes filling the oil filter prior to putting it on. I guess I was under the impression that the capacity was 7 liters plus however much it takes to fill the filter.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After looking back at the bottle, I put about 6.7 liters/7.07 quarts. And that includes filling the oil filter prior to putting it on. I guess I was under the impression that the capacity was 7 liters plus however much it takes to fill the filter.
7 quarts with filter no matter what, not sure about the liters part.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
My 6.4 is the same way. I put 6 quarts in it instead of 7 and it sits nearly full on the dipstick.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I have 3 5.7 hemis. Two ram 1500 and a Durango R/T.

The Ram(s) take 7 quarts with the filter. The Durango was supposed to be the same. Every time I checked after oil change the oil was above the high fill mark.

Finally found a reference to dipstick length in a Durango forum. Read the part number on the stick and immediately knew the problem. Went to the dealership got correct dipstick and bingo, oil level is perfect.

Apparently dodge/ram had a batch of bad length dipsticks in 2014/2015.

My dipstick delivered with the vehicle was a b part, the correct part number is a d part or to put it simply, fourth revision of dipstick length.

My dipstick in my Durango was 1/4 inch too long and marked incorrectly. Correct part number was $17 as dealership would not replace.

My experience. It's all in the details

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my last Hemi Jeep there was a 'big kerfuffle' about bad dipsticks and everyone arguing over how their Hemi only held 6.5 but the next guys held 8. Whatever the stated capacity is, it is. There's really no changing the capacity of the engine oil. Drain well, fill with 7qt and note where it sits.

FWIW - In that Jeep, 7qt sat dead in the middle of the stick. Can't comment on the truck, haven't changed the oil yet.