Oil ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bereta1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2016 Ram Big Horn 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I am presently using Pennzoil Platnium 5w20. I’ve noticed they have a new Black Label 100% Full Synthetic available. Just wondering if it would hurt anything to change to the Black Label 5w20? Cost is a concern, as it is cheaper than the PP.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2016 Ram Big Horn 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I am presently using Pennzoil Platnium 5w20. I’ve noticed they have a new Black Label 100% Full Synthetic available. Just wondering if it would hurt anything to change to the Black Label 5w20? Cost is a concern, as it is cheaper than the PP.
I think it is replacing PP, as in PP versus PUP never made since imo. The difference is it is not GtL, so it is mire traditional hydro cracked generic group 3 oil. My guess is uoa's will look the same as PP but not sure, pennzoil seams to be dedicated to having moly in forever, so I'd be surprised if anything changes there.

There are some great choices in the same ilk, havoline box 6 quart, kirkland and super tech, all moly oils all inexpensive and expect similar results as pennzoil synthetic, all good choices. i would spend some money on filtration, at least get fram ultra xg2 when you are at walmart.

OP
OP
B

bereta1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it is replacing PP, as in PP versus PUP never made since imo. The difference is it is not GtL, so it is mire traditional hydro cracked generic group 3 oil. My guess is uoa's will look the same as PP but not sure, pennzoil seams to be dedicated to having moly in forever, so I'd be surprised if anything changes there.

There are some great choices in the same ilk, havoline box 6 quart, kirkland and super tech, all moly oils all inexpensive and expect similar results as pennzoil synthetic, all good choices. i would spend some money on filtration, at least get fram ultra xg2 when you are at walmart.

Is the Super Tech, and, Havoline synthetic? I saw the Havoline Pro-DS. I think it’s at Walmart too

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is synthetic if you buy the synthetic, they also have non synthetic options. The super tech has two synthetics, a 10k mile and a 20k mile, I'd stick with the 10k mile as the other one is much more dollars but yet it makes no cents, ha. They also have a conventional, just don't get that one either, read the bottle.

OP
OP
B

bereta1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is synthetic if you buy the synthetic, they also have non synthetic options. The super tech has two synthetics, a 10k mile and a 20k mile, I'd stick with the 10k mile as the other one is much more dollars but yet it makes no cents, ha. They also have a conventional, just don't get that one either, read the bottle.
What’s your thoughts on Penzoil, or any, High Mileage Full Synthetic oil ?

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pennzoil HM pretty great formula, super high moly. That was when it was PP, so I don't know what Pennzoil non PP High Mileage will be. Also, as far as weight goes, once tolerances widen a bit, there is less reason to run 5w20 especially in the HM category, most HM oils where thicker, but because of someone elses idea about oil you see thin versions of HM oil, I would look at 30 weights once your engine is past 75k miles which is when HM oils become effective.

as long as PP is available in HM you have a great option.

OP
OP
B

bereta1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m thinking about running 5w30 either way. My Ram has a bit over 100,000 miles now. Trying to decide what to do. I may be over thinking it.