Ok I need some help ... yes me go figure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found this quote on a Jeep forum ??

This battery has a well documented flaw in that the internal post connectors become detached from road (and off road) vibrations. Many guys on my truck forum who have bought this battery have been stranded by this issue. One guy posted he had gone through three batteries in less than two years due to this. The Sears automotive tech told him he sees it constantly and was remiss as to why the manufacturer hasn't redesigned the battery to fix the issue. He's had it replaced at no charge each time, but didn't help him when his truck wouldn't start.

This is a powerful battery made for vehicles with multiple accessories, but has a very serious design flaw...

Did you happen to see who posted that? LOL...

That was actually my post from last September that I made not long after I bought the Optima. I had done some "after the fact" research after I bought the yellow top and found a couple of posts and a review with the issue of the side posts failing.
If you read the rest of the posts, you'll see a few guys with that battery who hadn't seen the problem.

I actually got a PM not long after that post by the manufacturer who said they had the issue when the battery first came to market and it was corrected shortly after. When I looked at the posts by people with problems, they were from '05 & '06. I can't find any posts with this problem after that.

Based on the fact that a LOT of hardcore winch guys have that battery and have not had a problem, I'd tend to trust it.

Short of myself, in that thread you found, you'd be hard pressed to find a negative about that battery...

Edit: Nevermind, I just found some negatives on it from as soon as '08. Forget what I said. Wait till I get back on the Jeep forum!!! LOL...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Thanks for clearing that up Ed . Do you know what the highest rating of battery recommended for a person that needs power ? I understand getting a bigger ALT but what about a big ol battery . I run 8 lights , one set are HID , the winch , a CB with a 150w linner , subs and a amp . I run allot off one battery . I know a dual battery set up would be best , but want im looking for is .. what battery out there gives the most for my needs

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Jeep guys all swear that Sears one is the GOD of batteries, but I dunno Dave, I kinda wouldn't trust it. I got into it quite a bit when I bad-mouthed that precious battery back when that thread was going. That's why I'm going back with the new ammo I uncovered since this thread started.

There is one that Advance sells another big brute, that was on an internet/pick up special not too long ago that a lot of guys raved. I remember one guy bought it on that special and it was cheaper than the manager of the store could sell it to himself out of store stock with his discount. I'll try to find where I read about that one.

Honestly, you are one of the few guys who are pulling more amps than I am. You really should have a dual battery setup with an isolator...

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
That is what I was afraid of . I know nothing about a dual set up .

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a piece of cake, you can find diagrams all over the 'net but you don't need one. We just did one in a buddy's Z71 in Ga. a couple months ago, but ******* was too cheap to buy the isolator. It works fine, but you run the risk of allowing the 2nd battery (accessory batt) of draining the starting battery.

Basically you mount the 2nd battery where you want it, and run a nice meaty cable from positive to positive and another one from negative to negative. With an isolator, you place it in the middle of the positive cable.
A lot of guys will only run the positive cable and just run the negative to chassis ground, but when you have a winch that's pulling 400+ amps, sometimes the factory ground strap can't handle it (which is why you always run negative to battery post and not chassis ground when installing a winch).

I've got everything to do my own, but I need time (and some help) in removing my hood and cutting it and the front of my fake scoop to make it functional so I can re-route my CAI to the scoop thus freeing up the passenger side for my aux battery tray.

The only isolator I ever used was a Stinger 200 amp, it was about $50. But they are also all over the 'net...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
What do you use for a battery tray ? And what is a good isolator to get ?

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
And let me ask this ... if i run a dual set up .. I can run all my lights , amps and winch on the secondary one and leave the OEM one to work the truck ?

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, basically an isolator lets a single alternator maintain the charge on both batteries, and lets the aux battery run all your crap without being allowed to drain anything off of the main (starter) battery...

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
We did this to my boss' truck about a week ago. He got a battery tray out of a Duramax and it bolted right up under his hood. Maybe you could luck out and one for a CTD would work for you too

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I have read the CTD battery boxes are a direct fit .

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
What isolator do i need . I see a ton on the net ? 200 amp 500 amp ??

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
ordered a battery box for a 2007 CTD . Going to get another battery . But what type of isolator do I need 200 or 500 amp ?

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only one I ever used was a 200A and it was for a Furd F250 with a boat-load of lights, a trailer with a boat-load of lights and a winch and the guy never had any problems...