Ok to let it sit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Random question...

Is it OK if my ram stays parked in the garage for weeks at a time...4 - 6 weeks? It's my secondary vehicle so I generally only pull it out when I need to haul something or just for fun...about once a month +/-.

I assume this is OK since they sit on dealer lots but probably only for a few months.

I ask because when I do start it after it's been sitting you can tell by the sound that most of the oil has drained down into the pan...that sound isn't there if I drive it two days in a row...but just over a few days of sitting I can hear it.

Thanks!

moparrtguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You should be fine. Other than possibly getting flat spots on your tires and the fuel in your tank going bad. I would just start it at least once a week to keep everything lubed and charged up.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should be fine. Other than possibly getting flat spots on your tires and the fuel in your tank going bad. I would just start it at least once a week to keep everything lubed and charged up.

How long would you let it run for?

moparrtguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
10-15 minutes. Long enough to get the oil hot to burn off any water accumulation in the oil.

barry hanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it will sit for a month or more you may also want to consider inflating the tires to a bit more than normal to help avoid flat spots. Just don't exceed the maximum inflation pressure noted on the tires and remember to deflate before driving. Or consider getting some tire cradles, I don't think they're that expensive.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i let my '13 camaro sit for 6 months at a time all i do is park it in the garage and shut the key off.

with the modern vehicles it is really unnecessary to do all the things one wound do back in the day.

in reality unless you ordered you truck it sat at the dealer lot WAY longer than that.

moparrtguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well at the very least maybe put a trickle charger on the battery.

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well at the very least maybe put a trickle charger on the battery.

Battery tender no doubt - cheap and effective...

I had an RT/10 for five years, and it was up on stands all winter...every winter...wheels and tires off...with a battery tender...

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Running the motor will keep seals and other important internals lubricated. If you let the vehicle sit for an extended period of time, the oil and other fluids will settle and leave those seals and engine internals dry. Every time you go to start the vehicle, you are dry-starting it and putting a lot more wear and tear than you would to a regularly driven vehicle. I would run a vehicle at least once a week. Just think of the gas used as insurance for your engine.

Last edited:

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 04 and when I was home on disability, it sat for about 3 weeks then started right up like a champ. I think it would be fine.

CoreShackJack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I work away from home (out of province) often - this means my fuel injected car and carb'd motorbike at home sit when I'm working...or my Ram sits when I'm on vacation.

Anytime I expect to be away longer than a week or two - I put fuel treatment (usually Seafoam) in the tank and run a little through the engine to stabilize the fuel. This way the fuel doesn't go bad and nothing in the fuel-delivery system gets gummed/varnished up. I also fill my tanks full before I leave so to prevent moisture (= rust) from developing on the inside of the fuel tank. I've gone through 3 batteries on my car in the last three years because I neglected to put it on a trickle charger, so I would recommend that too!

I've attached a link with a quick explanation on what fuel sitting for too long does!

Ethanol Issues: Varnish vs Gum, and using the right additive - Saturday MechanicSaturday Mechanic

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pretty sure the Rams gas tanks are plastic so rust within the tank shouldn't be an issue

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Mine sits for 2-6 weeks at a time when I'm out of town. There is NOTHING you need to worry about when it comes to short term storage of modern vehicles (<6 months). Short of having fuel go bad over long periods of time there's nothing that will go bad with a modern vehicle. I've had 3 hemis that have been treated like this and never had one issue except dead batteries on one of them which was rectified with a battery minder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Short term storage (such as vacations, out of town, etc.) is different from regularly letting your vehicle sit for a month or more at a time.

Basically what the OP is saying is that he drives the truck about once a month. The reason that's bad is because the oil settles into the pan and leaves engine internals dry, which is bad. This will result in dry starts, which will cause excess wear to the motor.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I must say it is interesting on the two schools of thought on this topic...

a) modern vehicles it is not an issue for them to sit for a few months at a time
b) doesn't matter the age of the vehicle, letting it sit causes dry starts.

So I wonder who would have the definitive answer...Chrysler? Seems like with all the computers on the vehicles these days that simply turning the key would activate the oil pump to prevent dry starts - in essence.

And yes, what I meant by "letting it sit" is that it's in my garage for 4 - 6 weeks at a time (I could foresee it being longer at times) between driving/starting it.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Short term storage (such as vacations, out of town, etc.) is different from regularly letting your vehicle sit for a month or more at a time.

Basically what the OP is saying is that he drives the truck about once a month. The reason that's bad is because the oil settles into the pan and leaves engine internals dry, which is bad. This will result in dry starts, which will cause excess wear to the motor.

You let it sit over night and the oil drains back to the pan or at least out of the oil galleries, which is why the cold start up tick is so prevalent in the hemi engines. You dry start it every morning, so i don't know why you're so worried about that. The oil pan pick up tube doesn't have a drain back check valve either so the pump needs to prime as well, try logging your oil pressure sometime and see how long it takes to come up to pressure on a cold start.

So I must say it is interesting on the two schools of thought on this topic...

a) modern vehicles it is not an issue for them to sit for a few months at a time
b) doesn't matter the age of the vehicle, letting it sit causes dry starts.

So I wonder who would have the definitive answer...Chrysler? Seems like with all the computers on the vehicles these days that simply turning the key would activate the oil pump to prevent dry starts - in essence.

And yes, what I meant by "letting it sit" is that it's in my garage for 4 - 6 weeks at a time (I could foresee it being longer at times) between driving/starting it.

I'm an oilfield safety consultant that's been storing my trucks at home or at my old company's lot while I'm out of town for anywhere from 2-6 weeks for the last 7 years; I fall into the same storage category you're talking about, I'm lucky if I get home for 2 full weeks between shifts. So I can tell you definitively that there is no harm in just leaving it to sit there, even in -40C during the winter months. You might have a dead battery, but that's it. I've torn down 2 hemi engines that have gone through this type of life and there is no abnormal wear at all.

The oil pump is a mechanical pump on the crankshaft, can't activate it before the engine starts turning. Don't bother trying to ask Chrysler the best way to store one of these, they'd have no clue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You let it sit over night and the oil drains back to the pan or at least out of the oil galleries, which is why the cold start up tick is so prevalent in the hemi engines. You dry start it every morning, so i don't know why you're so worried about that. The oil pan pick up tube doesn't have a drain back check valve either so the pump needs to prime as well, try logging your oil pressure sometime and see how long it takes to come up to pressure on a cold start.

I'm an oilfield safety consultant that's been storing my trucks at home or at my old company's lot while I'm out of town for anywhere from 2-6 weeks for the last 7 years; I fall into the same storage category you're talking about, I'm lucky if I get home for 2 full weeks between shifts. So I can tell you definitively that there is no harm in just leaving it to sit there, even in -40C during the winter months. You might have a dead battery, but that's it. I've torn down 2 hemi engines that have gone through this type of life and there is no abnormal wear at all.

The oil pump is a mechanical pump on the crankshaft, can't activate it before the engine starts turning. Don't bother trying to ask Chrysler the best way to store one of these, they'd have no clue.

thanks for the feedback...I certainly don't have the -40C temps down here in the states!

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I still feel there would be a big difference between being 1-day dry and 1-month dry. It's definitely not going to hurt it to start it once a week or so. If I had the opportunity to let it run once or twice a week, I feel it's better safe than sorry.

Not trying to disagree with anybody, as I really don't have first-hand experience with letting a vehicle sit except for vacations. Just my opinion based on what makes sense to me.

OP
OP
J

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting comments from Chrysler directly...

" Any time you store your vehicle or keep it out of service (i.e.,
vacation) for two weeks or more, run the air conditioning system at idle
for about five minutes in fresh air with the blower setting in high.
This will ensure adequate system lubrication to minimize the possibility
of compressor damage when the system is started again.

If the vehicle will be stored for long periods of time be sure to also:

Check each vehicle's tire inflation and set them to the maximum
recommended levels. Move the vehicles periodically to avoid "flat
spotting" the tires.

Do Not engage the parking brake, keep it in the off position.

Keep Windows closed, doors locked and all interior trim covers intact
and in place.

Periodically start the engine to allow fluids to circulate."