older engine in new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ontheocean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 - v8
Hi, Thanks for reading. Here goes my dilemma: Can I put a custom rebuilt older Dodge engine in a new Dodge ram pickup truck? Yes I will fabricate whatever mounting and adapting hardware, etc. is required, the reason I want to do this is I want the plushness and safety of the new truck with a non computerized engine, with minimal to no sensors etc. It will be naturally aspirated via a carburetor. My problem is - how will the computer in the new truck work with no engine signals? Someone told me that things like the anti-lock power brakes might look for engine manifold pressure, which will be there but with no sensor, and not find it and not work properly? Also will the heating and AC still work with no engine sensor signals? I will of course have an AC compressor on the replacement engine but none of the sensors of the original engine will be there so how will the cab computer work? Can it be programmed, flashed, tricked, somehow? Thanks!

Thanks for the answers, I have decided to build a horseshoe pit instead!

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It should be very similar to putting a newer engine in an older vehicle. That is done commonly. There are many companies who make conversion kits that allow for minimal sensor-controlled computer operations on GM's LS applications.

You don't see many people doing that to Mopars. Unfortunately, you're not going to get the "plushness" or safety systems of a newer vehicle without a computer since those systems require binary sensor inputs to function.

It sounds like you basically want to have a "restomod" with a newer body. Not too many people want that, so you're going to run into a lot of road blocks, but anything is possible. It all comes down to three questions:

1. How deep are your pockets?

2. How industrious are you?

3. How dedicated are you to making it work?

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Putting a newer engine in an older vehicle is legal as it surpasses EPA standards, putting an older engine into a modern current vehicle is not as the engine must be to the EPA model standards or better and illegal. and most likely not register-able for on highway use either. I know someone whom did this before checking to the legality and it cost him a buttload because it couldn't be registered until he met model year specs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Safety of a new vehicle? Air bags? You would be amazed how stout you can make an old truck, use poly bushings, convert brakes over to disk and firm shocks and custom bumpers that are light and strong like Arbs, you will be pretty safe.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Unless your state does inspections, whose to know what engine is in it.

I'm pretty sure based on what the OP stated the visual inspection (which most do some sort) will give it away. Not to mention in states where they actually run the smog it will fail without a computer and sensors based on truck year.

But since the OP is in Florida and they don't do squat he's be good to go. If he can get to work that is.

OP
OP
O

ontheocean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 - v8
WOW! Thanks! To Everyone! Great reasons to not do this. BUT that is OK because I was doing this to see if it was reasonable, and it is not. At least not for me anyway. You are right about Florida though, there are NO inspections that I have ever had to do and I have seen some strange stuff going down the road here! I still miss the simplicity of plain spark plugs, wires and a distributor cap, Oh Well, on to my next project.

OP
OP
O

ontheocean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 - v8
Yes because if you had spark and fuel it would usually run and I could work on it without a computer and a box full of special tools. I put a new radiator in my truck and it wasn't bad, however the fuel pump is no fun on the side of the road.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like you are wanting to turn a good truck into a piece of junk to me.

There are so many reasons that it's a bad idea that I don't even know where to start.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Probably better off buying an older truck and upgrading the suspension and interior with more modern seats etc. Basically a resto mod without the modern engine.

OP
OP
O

ontheocean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 - v8
You are right! I am NOT doing this! I think I will get a bigger toolbox and more tools, thanks for helping, Ernie...