opening on tow hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doug158

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
hemi 5.7
hello all, i own a 2019 slt classic, 4x4, no tow hooks, i just bought some oem's and can not figure out if the open ends should face inwards towards each other or outwards facing away from each other, thanks again...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is easy to figure out.

Say you slide off the road into a ditch.
Another vehicle happens to have a Tow/Recovery Strap, they stop up on the roadway.
They would hook the Strap into the Tow Hook that is furthest from the road, the other end is fastened to the Tow Receiver of the rescue vehicle.

So the hooks should have the Open part of the Tow Hook, facing the side of the vehicle.

The closed Loop that is used on the Ram 2500 is considered better. Especially if someone at the scene, carried a Clevis Pin

1696881743648.png

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is easy to figure out.

Say you slide off the road into a ditch.
Another vehicle happens to have a Tow/Recovery Strap, they stop up on the roadway.
They would hook the Strap into the Tow Hook that is furthest from the road, the other end is fastened to the Tow Receiver of the rescue vehicle.

So the hooks should have the Open part of the Tow Hook, facing the side of the vehicle.

The closed Loop that is used on the Ram 2500 is considered better. Especially if someone at the scene, carried a Clevis Pin

View attachment 529805

I wish they used the same hook from the rebels across all the trucks. Stupid they want double for the rebel hooks because they are closed loops

OP
OP
D

doug158

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
hemi 5.7
thanks to all for the fast replies... helps me out big time...

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The closed loop pictured above is the updated version.

The open loop style is no longer available from Ram but is available from the aftermarket.

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added the open ones on my 17 Big Horn. I thought they could only go on one way. I could be wrong though, that was last year.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I purchased Rebel style hooks when I got my 2021 and had them installed the same time as the grille guard. Prefer the loop to the hook.

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A little something to think about when dealing with tow hooks. This will help you understand how the open end hooks are supposed to be installed. OEM tow hooks should be used as a pair. The rating is usually equal to the GVWR, though Ram considers there OEM hook as 5500 lbs. each or up to 1.5 times the GVWR of the 1500. That means you should use a sling or bridle attached to both hooks. Very few people carry a sling or bridle, rather they just drop the rope or winch line to a single hook and hope the load on the hook is not going to destroy it or rack the frame. Tow hooks are different than tow eyes. Hooks do not need a shackle to attach a sling but the tow eyes need a shackle. Tow hooks or tow eyes are not rated for side pulls, even though people do it anyway, so it is important to have a long enough bridle to allow a reasonably straight pull on the hooks or eyes. Example; Ford tow eyes on F250 is equal to the GVWR of that F250 only when used as a pair but the same part number tow eye is used on the F350 and it is rated at that GVWR, which is higher. Some aftermarket tow hooks are rated individually but their safe use is up to the owner.

Surge One

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
hello all, i own a 2019 slt classic, 4x4, no tow hooks, i just bought some oem's and can not figure out if the open ends should face inwards towards each other or outwards facing away from each other, thanks again...
Just make sure the other guy DOES NOT hook up to his trailer hitch and/or ball. Very, very DANGEROUS! Never, ever do a recovery using a trailer hitch and/or ball. If you do, make sure you have cell phone service to call an ambulance; if not them, the Coroner's office. Be safe!!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just make sure the other guy DOES NOT hook up to his trailer hitch and/or ball. Very, very DANGEROUS! Never, ever do a recovery using a trailer hitch and/or ball. If you do, make sure you have cell phone service to call an ambulance; if not them, the Coroner's office. Be safe!!

So, just so that I'm clear, are you suggesting that using a class 4, 2x2 Reese hitch insert, with a welded piece of 1/2" flat stock, shackled to a grade 70 chain to pull trucks out, I was living on borrowed time?

20231018_221714.jpg

Last edited:

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It relates more to recovery ropes that stretch and the kinetic energy is huge and will make a trailer ball like a cannon ball

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It relates more to recovery ropes that stretch and the kinetic energy is huge and will make a trailer ball like a cannon ball

I'm familiar with the hazard of employing a ball hitch with any sort of extraction activity.

I am most curious about the references below, "trailer hitch and/or ball", more specifically about the broad statement of the risk of using a trailer hitch for extractions.

I'm not looking for a confrontation, just curious about the details.

We used to use Reese hitches for extractions often, using both a grade 70 chain or webbing type recovery straps, fastened to a steel plate with a shackle bolt.

See picture in post #13 above.

I've never used a trailer ball hitch, I've seen videos though.

I don't offroad much at all anymore, that was great fun in my past.

Just make sure the other guy DOES NOT hook up to his

trailer hitch and/or ball.

Very, very DANGEROUS! Never, ever do a recovery using a

trailer hitch and/or ball.

If you do, make sure you have cell phone service to call an ambulance; if not them, the Coroner's office. Be safe!!

Last edited:

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bighorn. Just installed. 20231015_170403.jpg

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And I got 5 ponies out of each!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
city folk would be the only people that would use a Hitch Ball on a trailer hitch to put a strain on while trying to pull someone out of a ditch, especially a deeper ditch.
The ball would make a good cannon ball

this only has 45,000 pounds of pulling power, but i would use it along surface streets, not OFF ROADING

1697689465028.png