Opinions of 2004.5 diesel dually 4 wheel drive value

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kkpsyop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
I have a silver 2004.5 quadcab dually with 439,567 miles on it I am looking to sell. I would like your opinions on its value.

No body or frame rust. Supposedly it was in Louisiana for much of its life. I bought it at 364,000 miles and have since replaced the high pressure fuel pump, power steering pump, alternator, and all 4 brake calipers. The turbo blew so I upgraded to a Cheatah turbo around 390,000 miles. Upgraded all the tubing to new silicone with new clamps.

Engine started knocking so I had the engine rebuilt professionally at 404,000 miles to the tune of $12,500. All new everything, cylinders expanded 20 thousands and crank shaft turned. New head.

NV5600 6 speed transmission. It was hard to shift so I had AAMCO rebuilt it around 400,000 miles.

Curt 2,500 pound vertical weight trailer hitch which doesn't mind 4,000 pounds of vertical weight, according to the Cat scales. I installed Firestone air springs.

Replaced all battery cables with upscale military style a couple of years ago.

40 over injectors and South Bend dual disk Street clutch which I replaced a couple of years ago.

ARB head studs.

Smarty JR tuner that I'm afraid to adjust because right now the truck will pull a 34' deck over trailer with 2 Jeeps and a bunch of other stuff 75 miles per hour up mild hills at 1,100 degrees EGT.

I pulled that trailer with Jeeps on it 350 miles twice a year with no problems. Jeeps catch a lot of air and Cat scales say total weight 26,100 pounds.

Rear tires pretty new. Front tires don't have many miles left.

AC works, satellite radio.

So, what's it reasonably worth.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You'll have to check KBB.com in your local area for a value.

Prices will vary by area based on the market in those areas so it's best to check local prices or prices within a reasonable distance from your location.

Mods, rebuilds and upgrades don't count for much on most pricing sites like KBB but they will give you a good starting point for you to price your truck.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my area that’s about a 15-17k truck if I had to put a number out there based on info

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
No matter that you had a lot of work done (rebld, etc) the mileage is going to deter a lot of people and ultimately impacts the value, but you already know that. My info is 6+ months old, but if I were to throw a number out there, I would put it in the 13K to 16K range, and that's without seeing it and trusting that the body/interior are in excellent condition. Good luck. It's always nice to hear about similar trucks to mine running those kind of numbers.

I just ran the KBB numbers for our area and it has a trade-in between 8K and 10K and a PP retail of 10K to 12K. Giving you the benefit of the doubt on the condition. HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kkpsyop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
Thanks for your opinions.

I'm hoping to find someone who wants a manual transmission and the light modifications.

Thinking of starting at $20,000 and drop it $1,000 every 2 weeks until it is gone. Eventually it will sell.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
As logical as that sounds, it's flawed logic. You will get most interest the first week you put it on the market because it's something new. Then interest quickly fades and people begin passing it over. When you drop the price, people will start thinking there's either something wrong with it or they don't want it if others don't want it either. Eventually it will sell, but probably for less than you really wanted to take. You would be much better off and get a quicker sale by figuring the least you'll take and staying firm because you know it's a good truck and that is the message you want to portray to potential buyers. Good luck and please don't take offense at my comments simply because I disagree with you.

OP
OP
K

kkpsyop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
You are probably right. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
The unfortunate side of having done all that work is it’s a turn off for many buyers. Like me, for instance. If it was all original I’d know what I was getting into. But not knowing the skills of the people who’ve done the work, or quality of parts used, it’s a big question mark.

I’m in the same situation with a vehicle I restored/ modified. It’s pretty valuable to me, because I know what’s in it. But I know if I tried to sell it it wouldn’t fetch half of what I spent on it. And the mods would ***** some buyers.

Your best buyer may be someone who knows you or knows the shop you used. If the shop has a good rep then people familiar with them will value the rebuild.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I think AAMCO warranty is nationwide and transferable but not sure about the engine rebuild. Might want to check with the rebuilder on transferring the warranty and geographical limits for the warranty. Those would probably help the sale since the new owner would get a warranty on the rebuilt big ticket items.

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I bought my 2003 2500 4X4 5.9 extended cab a couple months ago for $8500. 200,000 miles and 6 speed.