Opinions on swapping out my 5.7 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ckinard74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 05 ram 1500 rwd slt. I'm about 60,000 miles away from 300,000. I'm looking for advice or opinions on options for replacing her. I maintain my truck well but I'm looking at multiple options. This is my daily driver and I've considered a couple of options. A reman engine, a close mechanic friend told me to stay away from Jasper. I've also considered a stroked 392. What I'm not sure of is what else would need to be done if I go that route. Such as, tuning, tranny, rear-end etc. Your comments are greatly appreciated

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im in the process of swapping to a 392 SRT crate engine....crate engines are the most expensive but most reliable option, so thats the route i chose

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im in the process of swapping to a 392 SRT crate engine....crate engines are the most expensive but most reliable option, so thats the route i chose
Most reliable, hmmmm…ya sure?
Have pulled some out of junkyards without many issues for half the price with all the goodies.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 05 ram 1500 rwd slt. I'm about 60,000 miles away from 300,000. I'm looking for advice or opinions on options for replacing her. I maintain my truck well but I'm looking at multiple options. This is my daily driver and I've considered a couple of options. A reman engine, a close mechanic friend told me to stay away from Jasper. I've also considered a stroked 392. What I'm not sure of is what else would need to be done if I go that route. Such as, tuning, tranny, rear-end etc. Your comments are greatly appreciated
So, on the up side your PCM is quite receptive to custom tuning, which you will absolutely need for a stroker. If it is in good shape (especially the condition of the LSD if it has it) then your stock 9¼ will hold up just fine.
On the down side your stock transmission will not ever have a hope or prayer of holding up long term. You will either replace it regularly, especially if you flog it like anyone with a stroker would or you will have to do a trans swap to something stronger.
You also have a 5th gen that already has that style engine in it; won't work for an early 3rd gen.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Money?

All the trucks parts ahve that many mile son them. So repalce and beef up just the engine is not really going to cut it.

If only engine is the depth of the wallet, then crate engine or low mileage junk yard.
No Rebuilds other than quality local speed shop.