Ordering a 2015 Ram - Seeking Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quad2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running a 2013 1500 quad cab 4x4 with a 3.92 rear end and a 6 speed. Usually drive the highway with speed set on cruise at 106 kilometres per hour. Averaging between 12.5 and 13 litres per 100 kms. On the flats it ranges from 11.3 to 11.7 litres per 100 kms. I have found these numbers to be pretty consistent over 30,000 kms. Although I have no scientific evidence to back this up, the hemi seems to run happier on mid-grade fuel.

electrickone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L V6
Just got a 2014 3L V6 and its impressive. 200 miles on it, and its still on 3/4 of a tank. Its not slow either, she moves. Will see what happens when the boats back there, but if the mileage stays where it is, this thing could get some serious miles per tank.

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
thanks to all who have responded the information and advice is much appreciated. I think the next smart thing to do is test drive each and go from there. thanks again to everyone and I'll post an update

Warl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, I probably overstated the can't afford 13-15 mpg rather I would really dislike shelling out perhaps as much as $5k a year into a gas tank. I drive 17-20k per year and that kind of mileage adds up. I agree with you on the Hemi - I test drove one and my brother has 2012 Hemi with the 6 speed - they're sweet and smooth - hard to resist. In fairness I have to drive the pentastar to see...

Welll, if you're worried about spending a little extra money on gas. Then why are you getting a Laramie and paying that 100-200+ extra a month note that could be spent on gas?

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Whichever one you want. I have the 4.7l powertech and I don't care what engine it is to be honest as long as it is reliable. What matters to me is the lift. I love lifts.

So what I am trying to say is just find the thing that sells it for ya, personally.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
You'd be fine with a 6'er for your needs.

Only thing I wanna point out is, the exhaust will not sound like a Hemi. As long as they are putting the factory duals on, it'll be quiet and you'll have your dual looks.

I personally would not put an aftermarket exhaust on a V6 Ram. Sound like damn Altima going down the road.

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
The reason for the idea of the dual exhaust on the pentastar is I have read of others who have done it and I have seen and HEARD the videos they have posted both before and after making the modification and believe it or not the exhaust note is very similar to the Hemi. It may not sound exactly like the Hemi but it sounds vastly improved over the stock single pipe from the factory.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you go diesel you will also have to calculate in the urea needed at each oil change I did not see anyone say that I might have missed it. Which adds even more to cost per mile. Diesel here is easily a dollar or even $1.50 more per gallon at the pump too. The pentastar sounds like it would make most sense on paper I just don't know at least from personal experience if it would actually pan out in the real world. What is the lay of the land like on your commute? If it is at all hilly you might hate the 3.21 because of the need to downshift a lot.
I would also look into getting a model with stop/start technology that will save you some money at stop lights and if you get into stop and go traffic.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
most people who get the hemi care more about power than mpg. my truck is a lower trim model and i didnt really want the color but it was 13k off sticker and it allowed me to get what i really wanted and cared about, a hemi crew cab 4x4. it sounds like the v6 will be all you need but thats a decision you have to make. the hemi 8 speed with 3.21 gears would be a good compromise and prolly have better resale if your thinking that far down the road

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
most people who get the hemi care more about power than mpg. my truck is a lower trim model and i didnt really want the color but it was 13k off sticker and it allowed me to get what i really wanted and cared about, a hemi crew cab 4x4. it sounds like the v6 will be all you need but thats a decision you have to make. the hemi 8 speed with 3.21 gears would be a good compromise and prolly have better resale if your thinking that far down the road

What is is the rear axle of your truck and what mileage are you getting?

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
If you go diesel you will also have to calculate in the urea needed at each oil change I did not see anyone say that I might have missed it. Which adds even more to cost per mile. Diesel here is easily a dollar or even $1.50 more per gallon at the pump too. The pentastar sounds like it would make most sense on paper I just don't know at least from personal experience if it would actually pan out in the real world. What is the lay of the land like on your commute? If it is at all hilly you might hate the 3.21 because of the need to downshift a lot.
I would also look into getting a model with stop/start technology that will save you some money at stop lights and if you get into stop and go traffic.

My commute is mostly over flat ground - a couple of minor hills but mostly back roads and about 45-50 mph speed limit on average - 48 miles roundtrip

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

I have the hem I 6 speed and 3.55s and average around 15mpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud

Those added costs with diesel are a large part of my concern - although many of the eco-diesel owners I have heard from point out that the oil filters are now on the OEM market for under $30 and DEF is increasingly available through a pump at the filling station for under $3.00 per gallon and the price of the diesel grade oil is coming down as well. Therefore, an oil change can now be done - if you do it yourself for under $80 - not too bad since the changes are less frequent - every 10k miles

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I just starting tracking mpg to see variations compared to others. See signature below for info. As the weather gets colder and winter blend gas is now in my area I am going to lose about 2mpg. I do enjoy the truck I have:)

Last edited:

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
2013 Hemi with 3.21 gears and 8 speed. I drive 90 miles per day and get around 20-21 MPG as I drive all interstate. I have never gotten below 17mpg in mixed driving. I get around 14mpg when towing 6K car trailer. I have gotten as high as 23mpg on an 8 hour trip from Virginia to Tennessee (lots of driving down hills)

If you drive conservatively, the Hemi will not drink gas like you fear. The MDS, 8 speed, and grill louvers all add up to really help the truck get decent MPGs for a full sized truck.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
2014 Express, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5.7 hemi, 3.95 LSD rear end. 51 mie one way commute, all interstate, rolling hills (ie:farm land) 19.5-21.4mpg , depending on winds (Iowa has a lot of strong winds)

In town, 25-35 mph, Be-bopping around, 15-16.5mpg, depending on how often and how much I step into at take-offs.

Cheers,
Dave

magz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E-Torque
I'm just too heavy on the gas for accurate MPG's:cheers:

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
Well, I test drove a 2015 Laramie with a pentastar this past weekend and it was REALLY impressive. If I didn't see the window sticker I would swear it was a v8 - PLENTY of power. This was with the 3.21 gears too. The 8 speed transmission is absolutely fantastic. My mind is made up - the pentastar with the 3.55 axle will work for me!!!

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Hemi, I dont drive but maybe two days a week however, I average about high 17s to 18 on mine. Also, when I did go on a family trip on a flat back country road at 55 mph I averaged close to 20.

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
I cannot sing the praises of the pentastar enough - in my opinion this motor combined with the 8 speed transmission is THE best kept secret in the pickup truck market today. The configuration I drove (Laramie, 4x4, quad cab, 3.21 axle, 8 spd transmission, v6 pentastar) was terrific!!! The 3.55 axle would make it just that much better then add in the air suspension and man! What a truck that'll be! I cannot wait to place the order!!!

PUMPED UP!!!