Outer tie rod end question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smwalser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my outer tie rod ends today. After loosening the jam nut I used a paint marker to mark the leading edge of the tie rod end so when I screwed the new ones on I would be back in the same ballpark on both sides. In doing this I notice that the passenger side was 1/8" in further than the driver side. I went ahead and put them where the old ones were even though there was a discrepancy. When I test drove it I found that when my steering wheel was perfectly center the truck would go slightly to the left. This was not the case before changing them. So now I'm thinking I should take the driver side wheel off and screw that in another 1/8" so they will match and see if this centers the steering wheel. Or should I leave and go get it aligned?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
get it aligned. I measured mine before I took it apart and put the new ones at the same point and still was off. Its good to get the alignment checked once and while. You have lot of crappy roads in your area your alignment is bound to be off a bit.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
+1 on the alignment.

Depending on manufacturer, the tie-rod end thread could be off a bit unless they have been cast in exactly the same mold,which is very unlikely. Which makes it so you can get in the ball park, but never in a perfect alignment. Also your steering wheel could perfectly centered and even though you would not feel a drag it could still be misaligned.

OP
OP
S

smwalser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Getting it realigned was always the plan. I wasn't clear about that. I went back with Moog. It was driving me crazy so last night I pulled the drivers side wheel off and screwed that one in another 1/8". The steering wheel is now centered when I'm driving straight. That's was just bugging the fire out of me. Now is time for realignment. Thanks for the responses.

Darrell85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
also have them check the tire ware this also can lead to it pulling from side to side