P0132 and P0138

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NikitaH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2L (318 CID)
Hello, everyone :)

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with a V8 5.2L (318 CID) engine.

The truck intermittently hesitates to accelerate, there is a rich fuel smell when the engine is running, and some smoke comes from the exhaust when accelerating in reverse.

My Blue Driver report shows two codes - P0132 and P0138.

I ordered the O2 sensors (since they have never been replaced and are likely to be the cause of the codes), but I would like to see a diagram of the sensor locations before I get started.

Where would I find this diagram?

Am I throwing parts when I shouldn't?
If so, what should I do to diagnose the issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nikita

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L

The truck intermittently hesitates to accelerate, there is a rich fuel smell when the engine is running, and some smoke comes from the exhaust when accelerating in reverse.

I ordered the O2 sensors (since they have never been replaced and are likely to be the cause of the codes), but I would like to see a diagram of the sensor locations before I get started.

Nikita

Somewhere on this forum you can download the service manual. I’ll try to find it again and post here. That will point you to all parts. It’s a treasure trove!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Go to the DYI section of the gen 2 section. Service manual is there. That thing is priceless!
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your 96 have EGR? If you still have a cat or cats its probably plugged if original.
High circuit bad sensor open circuit bad connection low voltage is probably something else causing 02 codes. Downstream 02 causes limp mode when open circuit

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your 96 have EGR? If you still have a cat or cats its probably plugged if original.
High circuit bad sensor open circuit bad connection low voltage is probably something else causing 02 codes. Downstream 02 causes limp mode when open circuit

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Nikita
Cycling key on off 5 times give you a number code like 34 engine light flashing 3 times pause then 4 times 35 in the Chilton I have those codes tell each sensor that codes. Like up stream or down stream 02 sensor have there own code. Up stream is before cat down stream is after cat