P0302 Cyl. #2 Misfire...Stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will admit, performing the cam swap on this truck and engine was actually easier than I thought it would be. For me, it was just time consuming. But if I went back and did it again, it'd probably only take me 8 hours or so.

As for a write-up...I will see what I can do. I didn't take many photos throughout the process. I do however have the service manual (most of it) for the 2010 truck, which I acquired during my days at FCA. That helped tremendously.

Here are the photos of the bad camshaft and culprit lifter:

View media item 24910View media item 24908View media item 24909
So it's not a bad job to swap the cam and lifters? I'm assuming you didn't have the head machined when you put it back, just a new head gasket?

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone!

dustinjm87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, reviving an old thread. Im having these exact issues. I did the simple things, replaced plugs, coil pack and o2 sensor. still getting a misfire on cylinder 2 when driving on the highway or under extra throttle. I do not have any engine knock or tick. Not even the Hemi tick. Engine has 275,000km on it.

Does it still sound like a cam and lifters situation?

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
pull the valve cover from the passenger side. locate the #2 intake and exhaust pushrods and rocker arms and check for excessive play vs the other 3 cylinders on that side.

If you have excessive play...then either the lifter is shot or the lobe is flat.

dustinjm87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pull the valve cover from the passenger side. locate the #2 intake and exhaust pushrods and rocker arms and check for excessive play vs the other 3 cylinders on that side.

If you have excessive play...then either the lifter is shot or the lobe is flat.

Thanks for the quick reply, I certainly will give that a try depending on your answer to the next question. ( want to avoid taking the valve covers off as the bolts holding them don't look like they're going to agree with removal )

My truck does not misfire if it's in park or neutral and I rev it up. I can hold it at 4000rpm and she runs smoothly. Does that maybe lend itself to more of a fuel delivery issue than a mechanical issue?

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
1. Spray PB blaster on your valve cover bolts. Use enough so it runs down through the valve cover and hopefully gets in the threads
2. Engines not under load (i.e. in neutral) will behave differently vs with a load. For example, a few weeks ago, I got a random misfire code and the truck would not run in gear. In neutral it ran decent at higher RPMs. Root cause...broken valve spring on #5 intake. Why the engine didn't register a #5 misfire is beyond me.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

X10 take valve cover off and give it a visual.

dustinjm87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well took it to dealer, it is indeed internal engine damage. 5500$ rebuild, maybe less if cam isn't damaged yet.

Deciding whether to go ahead or not. Truck does have 275,000km but, from my point of view is solid otherwise. I will get dodge to do a health check before any go ahead but....what are some other major things I should be concerned about?

How is the longevity of the transmission and transfer case on these? Rear end have any common issues at these higher km?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well took it to dealer, it is indeed internal engine damage. 5500$ rebuild, maybe less if cam isn't damaged yet.

Deciding whether to go ahead or not. Truck does have 275,000km but, from my point of view is solid otherwise. I will get dodge to do a health check before any go ahead but....what are some other major things I should be concerned about?

How is the longevity of the transmission and transfer case on these? Rear end have any common issues at these higher km?

IMHO if you don't install a new cam & lifters an get the heads worked then your shooting your self in the foot wasting $$$, with 275km on it, it needs to be replaced along with the heads being reworked. Have you looked around to see if you can get a remanufactured engine?

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 370,000 on my 2009. I have 0 transfer case and rear end problems and engine is custom tuned and runs strong still. I have replaced 1 trans but I beat on my truck daily!

dustinjm87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll go with whatever the dealer suggests, which I imagine will include the cam in the end..

As far as I can tell they're replacing all the moving parts on the heads. The mechanics writing was a little messy. There was probably 10-12 different things listed. I left the list at work, otherwise I'd double check and tell you exactly what was listed.
IMHO if you don't install a new cam & lifters an get the heads worked then your shooting your self in the foot wasting $$$, with 275km on it, it needs to be replaced along with the heads being reworked. Have you looked around to see if you can get a remanufactured engine?

I probably could look around for a reman engine, although I think I'd trust the dealers work more, and it comes with a 2 yr parts and labour warranty on everything replaced.

dustinjm87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the list of replacement parts is

Head gasket L&R
Cam
Front lifters
Back lifters
Timing cover gasket
Intake rocker shaft assembly
Intake valves