P3400 and p3497 codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coffeeholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cylinder deactivation bank 1 came in last night, and cylinder bank deactivation 2 came in this morning. I have an 09 ram 1500 crew cab with 82000 miles. Anybody got some input on why these codes keep coming in? Research shows that it could be oil, but we put some in last night and this code came in this morning. Any help or advice would be welcome.

RotorHead04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having the same issues. My truck is also idling rough and the engine is missing intermittently when accelerating.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Either of you had plugs or wires put in recently? Coffeeholic, is your's idling rough as well?

RotorHead04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Negative, I may have just solved the problem. The other day my oil was pretty low so I went down to the basement grabbed some oil and topped it off. That's when my CEL came on and all that stuff started happening. I just read that it could be due to using the wrong oil. I went downstairs and double check the oil that i had grabbed. It turns out that I had grabbed the 10W-30 by mistake which lead to the O2 sensors and the MDS to trip on and off due to having the wrong viscosity. I just did a quick oil change with the right oil this time and It solved the problem. Try it out.

OP
OP
Coffeeholic

Coffeeholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not noticing it idling rough at all. I hadn't had an oil change in some time. But once I got it done and reset the codes they have not returned. And I haven't noticed any other problems with it.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You'd be surprised with the problems oil can cause whether it's the wrong type or not enough. I went back home for thanksgiving to see the family and when my dad and I went out on black friday for some things, his car started acting up crazy with a rough idle and the feeling of a misfire. He hardly ever drives the car because he has a work truck and since my mom got her new car my little brother has been the only one driving it and he knows nothing about automotive care. Turned out it had been about a year since the last oil change and it was really low, like the dipstick almost checked clean low. Changed the oil and the car ran great again.