Pacbrake Oil Filter relocation kit /Oil pressure drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackRam403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Just some cautionary advice. Make sure you are familiar with your oil pressures (idle, cruise, load) on your truck before you install the Pacbrake kit. My pressures at operating oil temp (220F) pre install were:
Idle 30-31 psi
Cruise no load 51-52 psi
Acceleration/Heavy acceleration-load 56-59 psi

This is with Penzoil Platinum synthetic 5W20 and Fram Ultra Synthetic XG10060 filter. The items have always been used at oil changes. 2021 DT 5.7 etorque 23.500 miles.

Post kit Installation:
Idle 26-28 psi
Cruise 42
Heavy Acceleration-load 46 psi max

To note upwards of a 20% drop in pressures was concerning. I contacted customer service. They verified installation was done properly (sent photos) and agreed pressure drop was unacceptable. Offered a new set of hoses as they thought perhaps there was a restriction. I declined and opted to return the kit as installation is not the easiest due to confined access and my inspection of the components prior to installation revealed nothing unusual.

After removal all pressures returned to the original pressure ranges.

The quality of the components is not the issue. All installed as instructed with zero leakage. I anecdotally feel the ID of the elbows, hose fittings, and machined return port in billet filter adapter are too small, reducing the oil flow post filtration. If one does not access the digital oil pressure readings through your menu you may not have noticed a change as the default “idiot gauge” shows pressure in the operating range. The drop may be fine but I’m not willing to risk it.

My return was approved; however, I am trying to get a shipping label as I do not feel I should have to foot the return shipping bill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlackRam403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I appreciate your input on the 90s and their potential negative effect on fluid flow/turbulence and oil pressure. I don’t know if this is true as there is no “Project Farm” test on the subject, but there are many perspectives that share your view. One other downside is the stock setup has one seal point (filter gasket)- the Pacbrake has 15 seal points including the four hose crimps. I guess I’ll have to deal with the pain in the butt stock setup.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
If it was me, I'd spent a few more bucks and build a relocation kit, out of improved racing parts. For a little more than the pac brake kit, you can purchase the oil filter block adapter, the oil filter house adapter 4 an10 fittings and 7 feet of an10 braided hose

OP
OP
B

BlackRam403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Has anyone installed this?:

Engine Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (53011252AD)?​

It is apparently in the TRX but it shows it is compatible with the 5.7. It relocates the filter forward to a horizontal position and has a built in oil funnel splash diverter.

OP
OP
B

BlackRam403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
d4e4c5afa8f5a09726e3afd93e0e4e3e.webp

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Flex hosing lube oil is tricky. It requires fairly giant hoses to avoid bad pressure drops. See it all the time in heavy machinery. Somebody relocates the filter and housing, uses lines that are the same size as factory but 8x as long with bends and fittings and stuff, bad pressure drop problems.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Happy user of the pacbrake for over a year. I didn't notice a single digit drop in PSI, I watch that center gauge with temps/psi like a hawk and have since I bought it 5 years ago. Mine was purchased about 1.5 years ago in case they've changed things up since then.

OP
OP
B

BlackRam403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Ok thanks. Just to be clear though you are checking your digital readout in your information display? This picture is at idle after I put things back to stock. Oil was still not up to temp but the Pacbrake setup would have dropped to the lower 30s at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_1939.jpeg
    IMG_1939.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
B

BlackRam403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Here’s what my stock setup puts out at a low speed/rpm cruise. Oil at temp. The Pacbrake was at 42 psi in this condition.

Attachments

• IMG_1940.jpeg
    IMG_1940.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 23

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just some cautionary advice. Make sure you are familiar with your oil pressures (idle, cruise, load) on your truck before you install the Pacbrake kit. My pressures at operating oil temp (220F) pre install were:
Idle 30-31 psi
Cruise no load 51-52 psi
Acceleration/Heavy acceleration-load 56-59 psi

This is with Penzoil Platinum synthetic 5W20 and Fram Ultra Synthetic XG10060 filter. The items have always been used at oil changes. 2021 DT 5.7 etorque 23.500 miles.

Post kit Installation:
Idle 26-28 psi
Cruise 42
Heavy Acceleration-load 46 psi max

To note upwards of a 20% drop in pressures was concerning. I contacted customer service. They verified installation was done properly (sent photos) and agreed pressure drop was unacceptable. Offered a new set of hoses as they thought perhaps there was a restriction. I declined and opted to return the kit as installation is not the easiest due to confined access and my inspection of the components prior to installation revealed nothing unusual.

After removal all pressures returned to the original pressure ranges.

The quality of the components is not the issue. All installed as instructed with zero leakage. I anecdotally feel the ID of the elbows, hose fittings, and machined return port in billet filter adapter are too small, reducing the oil flow post filtration. If one does not access the digital oil pressure readings through your menu you may not have noticed a change as the default “idiot gauge” shows pressure in the operating range. The drop may be fine but I’m not willing to risk it.

My return was approved; however, I am trying to get a shipping label as I do not feel I should have to foot the return shipping bill.
Pascal's Law. Those numbers don't address volume, which has as much importance as pressure. I'm thinking that the kit has an orifice or other restriction.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Flow of any fluid or gas wants to go straight. Anytime you change direction you restrict its flow properties. It's like kinking a garden hose. 90's are terrible for flow. The bore is usually much smaller than the hose size, which acts as a restriction, so the flow must be increased, usually via a higher-pressure pump. But that leads to other issues, as pressure produces heat, undesirable in a motor.
As stated, using AN fittings and hoses, which make turns in a much more gradual manner with a hose size bore, is more better.;)

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What would be the lowest acceptable oil pressure at normal coolant temperature, at idle , and 2000 rpm on highway?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok thanks. Just to be clear though you are checking your digital readout in your information display? This picture is at idle after I put things back to stock. Oil was still not up to temp but the Pacbrake setup would have dropped to the lower 30s at this point.

In my case, yes I am using the digital readout. No different after the kit.

However, changing from 5w-20 to 5w-30, and/or using the Fram XG filter, that has a massive effect. Combined those 2 bumped up my hot PSI from about 29-30 to 39-40.

So if the kit was restrictive, I'd sooner think the PSI would increase? Because everytime I've made the oil harder to pump (thicker viscosity, more efficient filter) the PSI has gone up, not down.

I honestly don't know what to think. But if you're not happy with it I won't try to convince anyone otherwise, I'm sure the kit from Wild One is a better setup especially due to the dual filters which is nice.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Here’s what my stock setup puts out at a low speed/rpm cruise. Oil at temp. The Pacbrake was at 42 psi in this condition.

There is a large difference in oil temp between those 2 shots. The one with colder oil is going to have higher PSI all else being the same. I don't think those 2 pics are proving the kit is dropping your PSI. You'd have to test the PSI at exactly the same oil temp (down to the degree as much as possible) and same RPM as well of course.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdog57