Parking on a hill everyday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Keep doing what you're doing the way you're doing it...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

scott68fl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 Pentastar
Same issue with my HOA turns out that unless you live in a gated community the HOA has no jurisdiction to enforce that rule, street is owned by the city or county. We just had a huge battle about that and our HOA was told by the judge they could not mandate that.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So... My ritual when I park it is to pull up, keep brake down while I push in the E brake and shift into Neutral. Then I let off the brake which causes the truck to shift back a bit, then I shift into Park.

That is how I park my Ram and how my wife parks her Durango, each and every time, regardless of the presence of a hill.

I cringe when I am a passenger and someone parked on a hill just by putting the vehicle in park. The whole vehicle jumps/shifts when they shift out of park!

Transmission parking technology hasn't changed since the 1950s...they still use a metal pawl to engage a gear tooth to hold the vehicle.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whats the purpose of going into neutral? I push the brake in. Shift to park. And while still holding the brake in push down the parking brake. Then release the regular brake.

Shifting to neutral unloads the drivetrain.

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
When you release the foot brake, you also release the front brakes, which do most of the holding/stopping. The parking brake must 'set' to do it's job, and by that, I mean the shoes need to move enough to 'bind' against the drum so that they hold. That usually means the truck will move slightly, usually downhill, until the parking brake 'sets'. If you don't go to neutral during this time, you can have the parking pawl engaged with the full weight of the truck on the engagement pawl & rod, which can cause it to be hard to get it out of park then next time you want to drive, and this will cause accelerated wear.

This can also cause the parking brake to not fully engage when the truck can't settle enough to actually 'set' the parking brake shoes because the parking pawl locks the drivetrain.

Remember, disc brakes (front & rear) just push pads into the rotor to provide friction to stop with........drum brakes - and the parking brake on our trucks is a mini drum brake inside the 'hat' portion of the rear brake rotors - push shoes out against the drum using leverage, so when 1 end of the shoe touches, the force still has to be applied thru leverage until the other end of the shoe touches as well. Once this is done, the parking brake is set....and the truck won't move, but if you think about it, when you set the parking brake on a hill, the truck always moves slightly after you do, and this is from the shoes 'setting' against the drum.

Well with the order I do it, my truck doesn't move. My driveway is at a slight incline but nothing like 45deg. Are you thinking that I release the regular brake in P and then apply the parking brake? I could see the parking prawl holding the weight of the truck at that point.

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
The pawl on the 8 speed is not as strong as that on the 6 speed in the HD trucks and is one component in tow ratings based on what I've read. You're doing it right.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hmm interesting about using neutral.. I always use my ebrake. ALWAYS no mater if its flat or hill. Its a habit now. I have also got my wife in the habit as well. Brake > e-Brake > Park> Foot off brake - Brake > release ebrake > shift to drive > take foot off brake. But the theory of using neutral on a hill makes sense and I will use that for now on. We dont ***** foot the ebrake tho. We make sure its tight before releasing the brake in park. The way I look at it is an ebrake is A LOT cheaper to replace than a transmission (especialy mine).

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well with the order I do it, my truck doesn't move. My driveway is at a slight incline but nothing like 45deg. Are you thinking that I release the regular brake in P and then apply the parking brake? I could see the parking prawl holding the weight of the truck at that point.

All I'm saying, is if you don't let the truck move & set the parking brake in neutral, then the parking pawl can be holding some of the weight.

And I wasn't talking about you....just a general statement