Payload issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Trim level? The Tradesman ED had a hi-flow grill to allow most air to the coolers of all Rams. Thus, Tradesman is rated higher for towing. Mine is rated for almost 9000#.

OP
OP
P

Pender

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
I do agree that the truck will handle the load of the trailer... last week I went and collected a cord and a half of spruce firewood with most in a trailer and the remainder in the box, say 7000lbs total including the trailer wt. No problem. I am bewildered tho' why Dodge would build a 80K loaded 1/2 ton truck that 'on the books' taps out payload wise with four guys and a cooler of beer.

Do I want to tangle with the Payload Police? Not really. I recall in the late 80's when the BC RCMP were handing out fines (and perhaps impounding) 1/2 tons with campers. And recently 1/2 tons with sled decks. This wouldn't be a big issue if I was camping within a couple of hours from home, but a
1500 mile radius trip could pose a problem. I'm perhaps a bit jumpy about not conforming to rules. When I turned 21, I inadvertently let my driver's license expire. 10 days later, I flipped my sports car up beside an expensive house... gas leaking everywhere. The insurance officer said 'No license, no insurance. Have a nice day.'

I

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
These guys that laugh at the 'payload' police aren't thinking logically. Sure the police are not likely to write you a ticket and no your truck isn't going to fall apart for being a few hundred pounds over. The problem is if you are in an accident with a serious injury or worse and you are knowingly overweight what do you think could happen in a civil case? They other party gets an expert witness to testify that you were overloaded and a jury that likely knows nothing about trucks or towing, well who do you think they will listen to and believe? Even if you win how much will it cost you in fees? Lost wages? Stress? Not saying you can't do it or shouldn't do it but you need to be aware of the possible consequences. The anti-payload police only think about the chances of getting a ticket. The ticket would be the least of my concerns.

OP
OP
P

Pender

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
The problem is if you are in an accident with a serious injury or worse and you are knowingly overweight what do you think could happen in a civil case? They other party gets an expert witness to testify that you were overloaded and a jury that likely knows nothing about trucks or towing, well who do you think they will listen to and believe?

This, yes all of it. It would keep me awake at night

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The reason i have a 2500 (other than they are awesome) is because of what I haul.

My trailer is not big...but i got about 2400lbs of payload when set to go camping.

A 1500 can tow my trailer with ease...but my seabag is full of the stuff.

I do not concern myself with where the pillows go.

Payload is one thing that does not concern me...now other campers...wow has it been interesting this year.Screenshot_20200526-084249~2.png20151002_130215~2.jpg20190927_165459.jpg20160808_080231.jpg

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The problem is if you are in an accident with a serious injury or worse and you are knowingly overweight what do you think could happen in a civil case? They other party gets an expert witness to testify that you were overloaded and a jury that likely knows nothing about trucks or towing, well who do you think they will listen to and believe?

Yes, and worst of all would be my conscience; knowing I was overweight but caused serious injury/death would be a terrible thing to live with.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
These guys that laugh at the 'payload' police aren't thinking logically. Sure the police are not likely to write you a ticket and no your truck isn't going to fall apart for being a few hundred pounds over. The problem is if you are in an accident with a serious injury or worse and you are knowingly overweight what do you think could happen in a civil case? They other party gets an expert witness to testify that you were overloaded and a jury that likely knows nothing about trucks or towing, well who do you think they will listen to and believe? Even if you win how much will it cost you in fees? Lost wages? Stress? Not saying you can't do it or shouldn't do it but you need to be aware of the possible consequences. The anti-payload police only think about the chances of getting a ticket. The ticket would be the least of my concerns.

Well said man! Now a days, you fart in public and you get taken to court for damages imagine in a case where you overload? Why take the risk? It's F*CKING stupid if you ask me. Any logical person knows that.

Last edited:

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well said man! Now a days, you fart in public and you get taken to court for damages imagine in a case where you overload? Why take the risk?
Thats the culture we live in. Tort reform gets shot down in many places, and we all suffer for it. Liability is now the Lottery System for litigants. Personally I mitigate risks all I can but when I need to do something, I do it. I cannot live my life imprisoned in my home staying "safe" worried senseless about lawsuits.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We found it just now. And yes, it does actually say not to exceed 850 pounds. Unbelievable. We bought it to tow the new trailer and not looks like we're going to be truck shopping for a 2500. I have never heard of a payload so low. Because we didn't notice it on the sticker we relied on information on the Dodge website, which probably didn't take into account the different trim levels. Ours is a Laramie
Wow. That is incredibly low. Hard to believe Ram would even sell a truck that can't be used as a truck should be used. Sad.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the 1500 diesel or a new Hemi?
The truck will easily pull it. The problem you will run into is if you were to ever get in an accident. Being over the weight rating would probably automatically put you at fault unfortunately, even though you wouldn't be putting any strain on what the truck is capable of.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you are definitely into a 3500 dually range! But seriously.....you are talking about a 3,900 lb. trailer and under 400 lbs. tongue weight and thinking you need a 2500?
I think she is worried about the legality of doing it. The truck would have zero issues with it, but accident investigators would if there was ever an issue.

Tom Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have found that the RAM towing guide is only a guide. How the vehicle is equipped determines the final cargo capacity. For example the guide states that my 2500 has a capacity of 2400 yet the door sticker states 1990.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Geeez. I think my wifes Subaru Crosstrek has more payload than some of these 1500 Rams...lol

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I have found that the RAM towing guide is only a guide. How the vehicle is equipped determines the final cargo capacity. For example the guide states that my 2500 has a capacity of 2400 yet the door sticker states 1990.
The payload on the door sticker reflects the actual rating of the vehicle. This changes based on options, powertrains, etc.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have seen vehicles like this towing bigger things then a 3900# camper.
lol. I'm sure it has happened. Her Crosstrek has a factory hitch but only towed with it once or twice and it was with a small 4x8 trailer that had a few hundred pounds on it

Aggie86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I used to have sideboards on a 1979 F-150 and routinely haul 60 bushels of wheat at 60 lbs per bushel (3600 pounds total) in the bed on 15 inch tires. Nobody ever thought twice about it. My how times have changed.

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Payload police question.

If you do happen to have an accident, how do they determine if you were over payload? Are they going to weigh the truck?

We are not talking about a truck with a load of concrete and possible a receipt from the concrete vendor as proof. Were talking about a few humans, dog and possibly some bikes. If the truck isn't totaled and destroyed- they would have to recreate the conditions and weigh the truck.

Can't see a lawsuit because someone added their dog and a bike or so to a truck that is pulling 1/2 the rated capacity.