Penetrating oils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorcharge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the acetone/atf mix often. Still works than any penetrating oil I've ever used and it works awesome for cleaning rust off too. You can stick the mix in a bucket and toss rusty hardware in it and pull it out and hose it off and it looks brand new again.

I've used it on old rifles too to get pins out. Had a new Mosin I just could not get the iron sight pin out of even with a brake press. I stuck about two drops of acetone/atf mix on the pin and it dropped out from barely pressing it with a punch.

Some stuff that article doesn't mention to be aware of though.

1. Don't store it mixed, it separates pretty quickly but you can shake it up to mix it again.

2. If you do leave it mixed don't leave it any plastic bottles (I use spray bottles) that have a 1 or 2 recycling symbol on them. The acetone will eat through it.

3. On that note you don't want to leave it on rubber bushings, any plastic, ect for long because it will start to eat into them. I've used it to get control arm bolts and leaf spring bolts out numerous times but make sure I clean them off well.

4. Acetone is extremely flammable and it vaporizes about as quickly as brake cleaner does and it more flammable than it. The vapors take very little heat to ignite but they burn out really quick. As a liquid friction will ignite acetone as well. I've had it on control arm bolts and had the mix run down the arms. Had a cheater pipe on the arm trying to get it back in an axle and slipped and ran the pipe across the control arm igniting the acetone which was awfully surprising when it was right in my face lol

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a small pint paint tin at Home Depot or lowes. Or an old PVC container, then you have a built in brush.

Motorcharge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for this. Especially #2. I have the stuff to make just not sure what container to put and store it in.

Both the ATF and acetone are so cheap there's no reason to overthink it. Just have both on hand and keep them in the bottles they come in. Mix the two as needed in whatever format you need whether it's a spray bottle, can, ect. Mixing them while you need them won't matter, just be aware of the flammability and you're good. Just dump the extra when you're done.

wifflesniffle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info, thanks for the write up. Its always better when the average Joe can do it better than the experts.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mix wd-40 and tranny fluid 50-50 into a spray bottle quite often. I use it to lube suspension bushings/joints and even coat old car/truck undercarriages to prevent rust. I like to spray it inside of boxed frames. Just don't do it in your driveway, or park in your driveway for day, as it will drip off for while.