Performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

endo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for some opinions. Truck has a 4" lift and huge tires. 35"×12.5" in town I got 12.5MPG really working at it and 15.5 highway 14.5 into wind

So what can I do to improve my economy and add performance.

I have a k&n drop in filter and want to add the custom air tube inlet.

Looking at a new throttle body moes 85. Will that do anything on its own or should I not worry about it until I get a tuner too

Is there anything else?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The throttle body won't really help on it's own, but pair it up with a cold air intake (S&B or Vararam) and a good flowing exhaust and then you'll really see benefits, all of which would help out the gas mileage.

If you don't have the 3.92s then I would also look into having your gears swapped out going with a lower gear ratio would help significantly.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Time for some 4.56 gears.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Upgrade gears and get a tuner. Those would be ur best beat right now.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Least expensive way to achieve immediate results is to slow down.
Next, ditch the big tires and lift.
If 'none of the above' suits your fancy,,, prepare to drop even more $$$ in gears, then perhaps a tuner (for performance, not so much for MPG)
It's only money. Easy come, easy go, right!?!??!! LOL!!!

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Intake, tuner and exhaust... but you're spending a lot to save a bit... only do it for the performance gains because the mileage will won't offset the cost... but it will be an improvement...

And maybe get some AT tires for your next set...

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
First mod you add should be a tuner. Either the Diablo InTune DCX or Trinity with Hemiefver custom tune is the best money you can spend on that truck. Obviously you can take it further with the gears to help turn those big tires, but bang for buck, you will be very happy with the performance gains from the custom tune.

OP
OP
E

endo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So how will gears affect highway driving. And what kind of price would this generally run

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
another gears will let your truck runs easier. The bigger tire you have, the longer arm it is for your axle. With current gears your ECO(MDS) mode is almost disabled, so no gas saving at all even on a highway.

OP
OP
E

endo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
another gears will let your truck runs easier. The bigger tire you have, the longer arm it is for your axle. With current gears your ECO(MDS) mode is almost disabled, so no gas saving at all even on a highway.

Yeah I noticed it didn't turn on at all above 60 unless my foot was off the gas

OP
OP
E

endo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Least expensive way to achieve immediate results is to slow down.
Next, ditch the big tires and lift.
If 'none of the above' suits your fancy,,, prepare to drop even more $$$ in gears, then perhaps a tuner (for performance, not so much for MPG)
It's only money. Easy come, easy go, right!?!??!! LOL!!!

I have definitely slowed down a lot. Feel like I'm driving like a grandpa lol. But I didn't buy the truck to put it back to stock for sure.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's virtually impossible to spend your way to savings in most any automotive situation, especially not in the 'lifted/big tire' realm...

More pep is probable, but fuel economy is an area you'll never see a true return on your investment. You may (slightly) improve it, but the cost in doing so will outweigh any savings in mpg

Best to accept it for what it is and be thankful gas is cheap right now.

OP
OP
E

endo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So taxes and plates were slightly cheaper then expected so again looking at doing some work gears at around 1800 installed probably not going to happen any time soon unless I get a good Xmas bonus then maybe.

So looks like a tuner would be good. Should I find some extra for a throttle body or not even worry about it?

Second let's say hypothetically I get a good bonus. What gears should I look into. What would turn my 35" tires about what stock did. Again I don't want to hurt my economy I'm 90% in town bit do like to take the truck to the inlaws which is highway for about 2 hours one way so a good balance for both.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would start off with the tuner.

If you are 2wd, then stepping up to 4.10 gears would be very easy. If you are 4wd, then you are likely going to spend more than $1800 to do a complete gear swap on your 2012. 2012+ 4wd gear swaps run closer to $3000-$3500 for parts/labor.

CrownHill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The throttle body won't really help on it's own, but pair it up with a cold air intake (S&B or Vararam) and a good flowing exhaust and then you'll really see benefits, all of which would help out the gas mileage.

If you don't have the 3.92s then I would also look into having your gears swapped out going with a lower gear ratio would help significantly.

CLH should be here soon to let you know doing any of these upgrades results in 0 gain of hp.

CrownHill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would start off with the tuner.

If you are 2wd, then stepping up to 4.10 gears would be very easy. If you are 4wd, then you are likely going to spend more than $1800 to do a complete gear swap on your 2012. 2012+ 4wd gear swaps run closer to $3000-$3500 for parts/labor.

I'm in this boat (2015 4x4 3.21 open) I really wish I looked into it instead of making quick decisions. I need this changed asap and am disgusted I was provided with this setup. People are saying the front diff gears are welded and the entire diff has to be replaced.