Please help, no one ( Ram dealer) seems to know whats going on...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ak22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone. New to the forum, and was hoping someone could maybe share some knowledge. I will try to keep this as short as possible

Got a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 with an Aisin transmission specifically for hauling freight. (40ft trailer, hotshot truck). Truck only had about 45k miles on it at the time.

After about a month of driving, my driver calls me from Colorado (Im from VA), says the truck threw a check engine on and went into "limp mode". Took it to a dealer, throwing code "P2281-Air Leak Between Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor and Throttle Body". Long story short, they said it was a bad EGR Valve causing a leak, $1,400 to replace, warranty didnt cover. I was bummed but oh well, things break.

Flash forward a week later. Driver calls again, this time from WV. Same exact thing, same code. Take it to a dealer there, after two days of diagnostics, they claim my EGR Cooler has a small hole causing the air leak. $2,600. I am angry and upset at this point (Obviously). They replace it.

My driver doesnt leave about 2hrs from this last dealer, and code comes on AGAIN! I have them tow it back, they clean the EGR system and take out a bunch of soot buildup, claiming thats what did it this time. Ok.

Truck finally makes it home, I put a new driver on it, he drives for a week, comes home, same code is on again. I already dont know what to do at this point.

Currently, my driver literally has the OBD scanner on him in the truck. Last trip he took for two weeks, he says the code came up three times. Typically with a really heavy load going uphill. He clears it, and the truck goes back to running like a beast. Over the weekend I replaced the Maf Airflow Sensor, seems like the cheapest place to start. Ran a small load for about 4hrs and pushed the truck hard, no issues so far. Between my limited mechanic in shop, my driver, and myself, we all think that its probably a sensor issue, something small and stupid, but causing all this hassle.

Was just curious if anyone here ever had this issue. Thanks

FCA Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone. New to the forum, and was hoping someone could maybe share some knowledge. I will try to keep this as short as possible

Got a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 with an Aisin transmission specifically for hauling freight. (40ft trailer, hotshot truck). Truck only had about 45k miles on it at the time.

After about a month of driving, my driver calls me from Colorado (Im from VA), says the truck threw a check engine on and went into "limp mode". Took it to a dealer, throwing code "P2281-Air Leak Between Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor and Throttle Body". Long story short, they said it was a bad EGR Valve causing a leak, $1,400 to replace, warranty didnt cover. I was bummed but oh well, things break.

Flash forward a week later. Driver calls again, this time from WV. Same exact thing, same code. Take it to a dealer there, after two days of diagnostics, they claim my EGR Cooler has a small hole causing the air leak. $2,600. I am angry and upset at this point (Obviously). They replace it.

My driver doesnt leave about 2hrs from this last dealer, and code comes on AGAIN! I have them tow it back, they clean the EGR system and take out a bunch of soot buildup, claiming thats what did it this time. Ok.

Truck finally makes it home, I put a new driver on it, he drives for a week, comes home, same code is on again. I already dont know what to do at this point.

Currently, my driver literally has the OBD scanner on him in the truck. Last trip he took for two weeks, he says the code came up three times. Typically with a really heavy load going uphill. He clears it, and the truck goes back to running like a beast. Over the weekend I replaced the Maf Airflow Sensor, seems like the cheapest place to start. Ran a small load for about 4hrs and pushed the truck hard, no issues so far. Between my limited mechanic in shop, my driver, and myself, we all think that its probably a sensor issue, something small and stupid, but causing all this hassle.

Was just curious if anyone here ever had this issue. Thanks
I find that the EGR cooler being plugged is usually the problem, however, any plugged portion of the EGR system, or a leak in the CAC will cause this code. Make sure that when your dealer is doing the EGR system clean that they are doing the WHOLE job including the bypass valve and the intake elbow. Many tech will clean the cooler and the EGR valve and call it good. I have fixed a bunch of other shops 1/2 jobs.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
If the warranty didn’t cover it, the last two fixes you paid for would have covered a delete kit.. dunno your thoughts on that but it’s always an option, but that’s coming from an opinion of a non commercial driver who does not know what the stipulations are for such actions in the commercial driving world

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had two similar failures plus multiple CEL's popup within 5K miles with my new Cummins.

Each time the dealers cleared the code each time, said the issue was a DPF regeneration failure which caused the truck shut downs. That didn't track with me as the truck was being driven at freeway speeds in warm weather for several hours and it didn't sit and idle much at all. Not sure how the EGR or DPF systems would fail in those operational parameters.

After being stranded with a non-functioning in the middle of no where on two separate occasions, and with no definitive fix being done by the dealer, I deleted the DFP system. I also deleted the throttle valve and EGR systems. I added a set of EFI Live tunes, a tune switch and a Edge CTS II tuner/monitor to the truck. Total cost for the parts, tunes and install was $2800.

Now, I have no CELs popping up, no regeneration failures, I get better fuel mileage on the highway and the power performance is fantastic.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately once the diesels get about 50,000 miles and couple of years on them all the environmental nanny components start to fail and they are expensive. My brothers 2016 Chevy diesel was in for service this spring and I believe he said it was his DEF tank heater, very expensive but his was covered under warranty. He figures it is the beginning of the end for his diesel and it will be getting a tune and DFP/EGR delete in the near future.