Polishing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
WTM75

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know you don't have a polisher, but when you do get one I'd suggest using Menzerna Super Finish Plus (SF-3800). Menzerna's a super fine finishing polish leaves a great shine with a blue Lake country finishing polishing pad. Yes, you need a random orbital polisher (got the Griot's 6" polisher), but once you have one, polishing and sealing/waxing are much easier/faster...Ram's have a lot of real estate to cover. Menzerna also has some very good paint correction products...but there's a lot of good ones out there by a slew of manufactures. I know it sounds like an ad, but I did a lot of research to get (in my opinion) the best stuff for the $$ I wanted to spend. But it's like beer, whiskey or fishing equipment, everyone has their own preferences.

There's a great series of utube videos by Junkman (search on the name) on paint correction, polishing, sealing/waxing and Autogeek has some fantastic how-to's also.

Thanks for the information. I’ve actually been looking at Griots 6” polisher. Auto zone has a $20 rebate and I have a $20 off coupon, that would put it $120, which seems like a good price. Just don’t know if I’m ready to start using a RO.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the information. I’ve actually been looking at Griots 6” polisher. Auto zone has a $20 rebate and I have a $20 off coupon, that would put it $120, which seems like a good price. Just don’t know if I’m ready to start using a RO.

Don't let a polisher make you nervous, you'd have to really go out of your way to do any damage with it. Once you try it you'll kick yourself for not trying it sooner. I've been using Griot's polishers for 10 years now and can't recommend them enough. Also, try their BOSS line of pads and polishes, amazing stuff.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you don't have a polisher, but when you do get one I'd suggest using Menzerna Super Finish Plus (SF-3800). Menzerna's a super fine finishing polish leaves a great shine with a blue Lake country finishing polishing pad. Yes, you need a random orbital polisher (got the Griot's 6" polisher), but once you have one, polishing and sealing/waxing are much easier/faster...Ram's have a lot of real estate to cover. Menzerna also has some very good paint correction products...but there's a lot of good ones out there by a slew of manufactures. I know it sounds like an ad, but I did a lot of research to get (in my opinion) the best stuff for the $$ I wanted to spend. But it's like beer, whiskey or fishing equipment, everyone has their own preferences.

There's a great series of utube videos by Junkman (search on the name) on paint correction, polishing, sealing/waxing and Autogeek has some fantastic how-to's also.

I happen to have the Griots random orbital and used the Menzerna FG 400 to take some of the wilderness pinstripes off my truck - I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to apply with the orbital and then hand remove, in fact I went ahead and applied Collinite 845 to the whole truck once I finished with the FG 400.

Clearly I am no pro at all of this, but I was super happy with the results. Now I have to do the same thing to the wife's X3

OP
OP
WTM75

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Don't let a polisher make you nervous, you'd have to really go out of your way to do any damage with it. Once you try it you'll kick yourself for not trying it sooner. I've been using Griot's polishers for 10 years now and can't recommend them enough. Also, try their BOSS line of pads and polishes, amazing stuff.

I guess these are different than the rotatory ones that don't slow down at all and using a wool polishing pads. I used to work part-time is a shop that did custom paint and I remember how easy it was to burn through the clear...I never used them, I just helped with the body work. I am thinking I might get the Griot's 6" in the next few weeks and give is a shot.

Would putting a polishing pad on a RO sander work? I have several of those 5" & 6".

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess these are different than the rotatory ones that don't slow down at all and using a wool polishing pads. I used to work part-time is a shop that did custom paint and I remember how easy it was to burn through the clear...I never used them, I just helped with the body work. I am thinking I might get the Griot's 6" in the next few weeks and give is a shot.

Would putting a polishing pad on a RO sander work? I have several of those 5" & 6".

RO/DA polishers are just like the old sanders except with polishing pads instead of sanding paper. They just made them more ergonomically friendly. Keep in mind also that not all polishes and pads are created equally either, some are better than others. Look into the BOSS line of products, you won't be disappointed.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was pretty nervous about causing more damage as I have only used the RO a few times. The product I used (FG 400) is very mild so I would have had to work really hard to burn through the clear coat. I doubt I will be willing to use a more abrasive product as I don't have the skills.

OP
OP
WTM75

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
RO/DA polishers are just like the old sanders except with polishing pads instead of sanding paper. They just made them more ergonomically friendly. Keep in mind also that not all polishes and pads are created equally either, some are better than others. Look into the BOSS line of products, you won't be disappointed.

Are the BOSS pads that much better than the regular Griot polishing pads?

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the BOSS pads that much better than the regular Griot polishing pads?

Absolutely, once you try them out you'll understand they on a whole new level.

OP
OP
WTM75

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Absolutely, once you try them out you'll understand they on a whole new level.

I think I'll order some later this week. Overall the paint is in very good condition, just a few very light swirls, I was taking them out by hand this weekend with Meguires Ultimate Polish(NOT compound) this weekend. I am mostly just looking to get the most out of the shine and not necessarily do any paint correction. I am thinking I would use the Black foam finishing pad with the Meguires Ultimate polish? Would this be a good combo?

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'll order some later this week. Overall the paint is in very good condition, just a few very light swirls, I was taking them out by hand this weekend with Meguires Ultimate Polish(NOT compound) this weekend. I am mostly just looking to get the most out of the shine and not necessarily do any paint correction. I am thinking I would use the Black foam finishing pad with the Meguires Ultimate polish? Would this be a good combo?

Black foam typically has no cut, it's meant for sealants and reducing the cut of polishes. if you have no swirls you can see and want to shine it up then that'll work fine, just remember it will have very little cutting ability.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking to clean up the orange peel on my truck. Any recommendations or should I just accept it?
I saw the boys on mythbusters test a mpg/aerodynamics theory on a car using the dimpled idea of a golf ball..Results were positive.......Maybe your orange peel deal might be adding to aerodynamics..

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I saw the boys on mythbusters test a mpg/aerodynamics theory on a car using the dimpled idea of a golf ball..Results were positive.......Maybe your orange peel deal might be adding to aerodynamics..
Why stop there. Time to get out the ball peen hammer. Lol

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody use Chemical Guys products? We just started handling them in the store, wandered if they are any good. Especially their butter wax, will it leave residue on black plastic?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
WTM75

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Anybody use Chemical Guys products? We just started handling them in the store, wandered if they are any good. Especially their butter wax, will it leave residue on black plastic?

I have not used CG(I'm new to detailing) but a lot of people on here seem to really like them and Adams. I've been seeing a lot of good feedback on Griot's Garage, I'm thinking I may try some of theirs.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not used CG(I'm new to detailing) but a lot of people on here seem to really like them and Adams. I've been seeing a lot of good feedback on Griot's Garage, I'm thinking I may try some of theirs.

You won't be disappointed with Griot's stuff, it's top notch. Chemical I can't say but I don't know anyone who uses their stuff anymore either.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I know the stuff by turtle wax called ice doesn't..

SoCal Bomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chemical Guys products kick ass! Easy to use and shine and protection is awesome. If you have any residue, use a quick detail spray and it will come right off.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use a whole bunch of different products and brands. I suggest you guys check out HD Speed. It is an all in one so it wont take everything out but this is one of my new favorites right now. stuff works awesome and very easy to use

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a whole bunch of different products and brands. I suggest you guys check out HD Speed. It is an all in one so it wont take everything out but this is one of my new favorites right now. stuff works awesome and very easy to use
The silicone in it provides a nice shine and it's easy to wipe off, but it's durability makes it useless for me. Megs D166 has better cut and better durability and is also easy to wipe off.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chemical Guys products kick ass! Easy to use and shine and protection is awesome. If you have any residue, use a quick detail spray and it will come right off.

Honestly if you need detail spray to wipe of residue then it's not very good IMO.