Post Lake Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
So just got back from the lake and truck did a good job. Tires were a lot better and it pulled our pair of jet skis just fine. Issue is that every so often, mostly when im getting on the highway, when I am accelerating at a decent rate it sounds like pea gravel is bouncing around in the engine or the engine bay. I know its gotta be the engine cause it only does it when under heavy acceleration. And I know its not my CAI or plenum cause those are more of a tick.

Or maybe its the plenum, just amplified? Anyone feel free to chime in on what they think.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
And something else happen. Basically this punk ass highschool kid was riding my as in a little s-10. So he went to pass me and I wanted to speed up and not let him but as soon as got on the gas my rpms went up but I wasnt going anywhere. So I let off so I could live to fight another day. Im hoping its not my transmission.

The rest of the trip was fine and shifted well. Im just wondering why I cant speed up at a decent rate. Its not even a heavy trailer. Probably like 2500-3000 pounds.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Marbles is blown plenum or too much heat. RPM going up with no change in road speed is trans

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Marbles is blown plenum or too much heat. RPM going up with no change in road speed is trans

It shouldnt be too much heat. I topped off the coolant before the trip home. Which leaves the plenum.

I know these aren't diesel trucks but shouldnt they pull with a little more balls? Especially when accelerating?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It shouldnt be too much heat. I topped off the coolant before the trip home. Which leaves the plenum.

I know these aren't diesel trucks but shouldnt they pull with a little more balls? Especially when accelerating?

Summer time = hot intake air which = increases chamber temps which = pinging.

Ehh not really. Lol gotta remember they have torque down low, and when it's only 335 from the factory before they cut it's balls off with EPA tuning, it doesn't leave much to work with

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Summer time = hot intake air which = increases chamber temps which = pinging.

Ehh not really. Lol gotta remember they have torque down low, and when it's only 335 from the factory before they cut it's balls off with EPA tuning, it doesn't leave much to work with

So basically if I need more power without getting a diesel I need to regear? lol

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
A tune is cheaper lol And if I were to regear would you say 4.10 would be a good improvement?

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
I know on motors with distributors in where they had no sensors to adjust timing when you advance the timing to far is pings when you get on it. Back off the timing a few degrees and it doesn't and is still advanced enough for the engines rpm. Idk how that could happen on these trucks besides like a cam sensor or something but still lol I know that sound and when you said marbles all I could think of was tomong

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca