Power Wagon vs reg 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This might be a dumb question, but what is the difference between the new power wagons and a new 2500 with the 6.4L in it? Do the power wagons just come with more options?

MitchPeder7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Electronic locking diffs and swaybar disconnect, 1.5-2" level, full skid plates, winch, internal beadlock rims, softer more flexible springs..... I'm sure there's more. Just all I can think of

Sent while I'm killing time at work

OP
OP
J

jhal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So from what you posted. It sounds like the PW is more offroad based from the factory. That correct? And the 2500 is more tow capable?

Tsali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
^yup

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tsali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Oops...yup on the off road. Might be similar on towing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MitchPeder7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tow is a bit lower rating. Payload capacity is quite a bit less. It's more like a heavy 1/2 ton ratings wise

MitchPeder7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's really just the soft springs, and maybe the extra weight of skid plate and stuff. Truck is built just as heavy as a normal 2500. Has 11.5" aam rear axel

OP
OP
J

jhal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks! I started looking at new trucks, and have always liked the look of the power wagons. just didn't know the diff.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Most of the differences between a PW and a regular 2500 have been covered already, but I just want to say that a Power Wagon is different, right down to the frame. You can't start with a regular 2500 and add the "Power Wagon" stuff. You can get close with aftermarket parts, but you can't really replace the frame. There are probably more differences in the Power Wagons than we consumers could ever hope to figure out. For example, PW's have a beefier frame-side track bar mount than a regular 2500. Who'd have ever guessed that??

Just like any vehicle, PWs have flaws and compromises, they can't be all things to all people. What they are is the most off road capable factory truck, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Most of the differences between a PW and a regular 2500 have been covered already, but I just want to say that a Power Wagon is different, right down to the frame. You can't start with a regular 2500 and add the "Power Wagon" stuff. You can get close with aftermarket parts, but you can't really replace the frame. There are probably more differences in the Power Wagons than we consumers could ever hope to figure out. For example, PW's have a beefier frame-side track bar mount than a regular 2500. Who'd have ever guessed that??

Just like any vehicle, PWs have flaws and compromises, they can't be all things to all people. What they are is the most off road capable factory truck, period.

Regular 2500 and PW have the exact same frame except that the PW frame has extra cross member and skid plates.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
You got me there. Add an extra crossmember to your frame and some stickers to the door and you're on your way to having your very own Power Wagon.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You got me there. Add an extra crossmember to your frame and some stickers to the door and you're on your way to having your very own Power Wagon.

relax bro. powerwagon IS different than regular 2500 but the basic frame strength is the same. maybe youre right the trackbar mount on PW is beefier, the radius arm allows more articulation, underbody protection is better and etc. lockers, winch, swaybar disc. etc. etc. the point is: PW IS BUILT ON REGULAR 2500 platform to make it the most offroad worthy truck that there is. And the PW is just that. But if you strip a PW all of its offroad components, you will have a regular 2500.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My point is that a Power Wagon is not just "a 2500 with lockers and a winch". In addition to all the off-road add-ons, they also get lighter, linear-rate springs than the other 2500 trucks, which are better for off-road driving and articulation, but worse for payload capacity. In that respect, a Power Wagon doesn't measure up to a "regular 2500" for an owner that does a lot of heavy hauling.

If somebody wants a 6" lift, 20" aftermarket wheels and a light bar inside the front bumper, they're going to come out ahead by not buying a Power Wagon, and that's something that isn't readily apparent if you don't know the differences.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My point is that a Power Wagon is not just "a 2500 with lockers and a winch". In addition to all the off-road add-ons, they also get lighter, linear-rate springs than the other 2500 trucks, which are better for off-road driving and articulation, but worse for payload capacity. In that respect, a Power Wagon doesn't measure up to a "regular 2500" for an owner that does a lot of heavy hauling.

If somebody wants a 6" lift, 20" aftermarket wheels and a light bar inside the front bumper, they're going to come out ahead by not buying a Power Wagon, and that's something that isn't readily apparent if you don't know the differences.

True. What year is your PW? Is the frameside trackbar bracket really beefier? do you have a pic?

raptor99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Powerwagon... maybe
Engine
There is also a price difference but that probably is not important. :)

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
True. What year is your PW? Is the frameside trackbar bracket really beefier? do you have a pic?

I can post a pic of mine later, but I don't have a non-PW 2500 to compare to. Someone on the Power Wagon Registry forum took their truck in to a dealer during a recent track bar issue recall and were told that the recall did not apply to PWs. It's possible that instead of "stronger", it's just different for the PW's suspension geometry.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Sure enough...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462591403.955844.jpg
From the FCA recall service bulletin

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462591439.971819.jpg
From my 2015 PW.

Can't say if it's beefier or not, but it's definitely different.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well the PW comes from the factory 2" taller in the front (maybe also in the rear? idk) hence the taller trackbar mount to maintain the correct geometry, yea from the pic, I highly doubt that its "beefier" Looks like the bracket is just taller. One thing Im noticing, why is the taller bracket not supported from the side like the regular 2500 bracket? Logically I would think that the taller the thing gets the more lateral support it needs no?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990