Power Wagon vs standard 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Downside of that 5.0 diesel motor in a 1500 is it kills the payload and CGVW because its so heavy

Well the payload or an sr5 tundra is less than my express already. 1300lbs quad cab tundra vs 1540lbs quad cab ram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Is this shoot2kill?? lol. Ya dude, I've seen all your posts with this. Do you just have it ready on a Word doc to copy and paste in the forum every once in a while? Why do you obsess over it? Seriously, do you loose sleep? What in the name of **** does that Ike towing test have to do with payload ratings discussed in the other page? People who know anything about these trucks know the transmission is at fault for that Ike test... How am I being a fan boy for saying I wouldnt trust 3000 pounds in a 1/2 ton?? I dont care if its Ram, Ford, whatever... Why dont you trade in your crappy 6.4 for an old trusty GM 6.0?? Please tell us.

What does it have to with the ratings discussed in the other page? The fact that ram engineers were consulted about the inital findings and commented that it's operating as designed, identifies they knew it would work as such. The real question is if it operates as such 3k under advertised capacity would it really meet the J2807 standards for rating the capacity of a vehicle? Before someone says that the J2807 is conducted with the grade of Davis dam, I guess the real problem is GM underrated their vehicles capacity. How dare GM!!

Why would I trade the power wagon? Its serves my purpose and I know its flaws.

Last edited:

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
From personal experience a 2015 sr5 tundra 5.7 is towing my fathers 26’ boat with a 8000lb dry weight better than his 2003 Chevy 2500 6.0 did. Better fuel efficiency as well as stronger up hills. I don’t trust tfltruck as there are reports that they were fibbing some of their information on the gauntlet test.

from personal experience with a Tundra, I'm going to bet a lot of the towing ability goes to the 4.30 rear end because the 6 speed trans, although better than the Ram's 6 speed, is nothing to write home about. and ROUGHLY stated, call the 5.7 motors a push with Ram. The Tundra takes off with 8000+ in tow like it almost isn't there.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Watching the Rams 1500 / 2500 take on the Ike gauntlet for the golden hitch, you see that they do pretty well. Only beaten by Ford F series due to the lighter construction.
Personally all the 1500 segment trucks (Ram, Chevy, Ford, etc.) are really good and it seems that everyone is trying to trump the competition. This is good. It means that things get better in terms of performance, design, etc.

As far as the heavy duty segment is concerned, you don't see much improvement over outgoing models, perhaps for the most part that manufacturers have less of an incentive. I suspect the reason is that most heavy duty users are probably brand loyal and so will only switch if and when it is no longer able to get the job done.

Let's face it. In the Heavy Duty, we all are still looking for the best bang for the buck.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Why would I trade the power wagon? Its serves my purpose and I know its flaws.

So like all vehicles and brands, the Ram isnt perfect. But clearly it ain't that bad if you dont trade it in, 'sal I'm saying. You trade for a Silverado with the 6.0 and you get an ugly ass truck with a cheap outdated interior (even though it was just redesigned) a truck that is a dog in typical day to day driving, and probably some electrical gremlins because its a GM. But ****, you'll make it up the IKE GAUNTLET in sonic speed because the trans probably cooks itself! Sold me, I do that all the time!

Maybe Ram should be investigated for lying to the public about their capabilities because it finished the Ike shortly behind GM. :crazy:

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
So like all vehicles and brands, the Ram isnt perfect. But clearly it ain't that bad if you dont trade it in, 'sal I'm saying. You trade for a Silverado with the 6.0 and you get an ugly ass truck with a cheap outdated interior (even though it was just redesigned) a truck that is a dog in typical day to day driving, and probably some electrical gremlins because its a GM. But ****, you'll make it up the IKE GAUNTLET in sonic speed because the trans probably cooks itself! Sold me, I do that all the time!

Maybe Ram should be investigated for lying to the public about their capabilities because it finished the Ike shortly behind GM. :crazy:

Thank You for the FREE Monday morning entertainment...Although your ANGER is clearly a remnant of your brand loyalty...REALITY is a different story...The GM 6.0/4.10 even with an OLDSCHOOL 4L80e (4spd) trans, will pull and haul just as good as the 6.4/3.73/6 spd will...Again REAL WORLD experiences trump a Bitter Uneducated Lack of Experience posts...BUT... You are entertaining...:love51:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Thank You for the FREE Monday morning entertainment...Although your ANGER is clearly a remnant of your brand loyalty...REALITY is a different story...The GM 6.0/4.10 even with an OLDSCHOOL 4L80e (4spd) trans, will pull and haul just as good as the 6.4/3.73/6 spd will...Again REAL WORLD experiences trump a Bitter Uneducated Lack of Experience posts...BUT... You are entertaining...:love51:

:roflsquared:

Brand loyalty? LOL. I have owned plenty of GM products, trucks and cars. Have owned American stuff, German, Japanese. You are an idiot. Not feeding the troll anymore though. Must suck for you driving that POS Ram all the time. You ANGRY about it?? :roflsquared:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine

Dont beat a dead horse, or 6.4.... Let it go, as ram should have with the 66rfe. I love this guy, so dedicated and faithful...Finished shortly behind GM, 1:13 behind the GM. The 6.0 has been around for his many years, any problem with them cooking themselves? What's crazy is the big powerful 6.4 finished 1:13 behind a outdated motor with 50 less HP and 49 less tq, but while towing 500lbs more than the ram. Its a good thing rams interior is so nice some nice, they must of figured you will be seeing a lot of it being you won't get the job done very quick. Maybe they should have invested in some R&D for a proper transmission...

Don't be jealous, GM will sell you one also...

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The 6.0 has been around for his many years, any problem with them cooking themselves?

I said the trans. And I dont know? How many people WOT their gasser up the Ike at/near max load on a regular basis? If sane people did it regularly you'd prob see some data. :roflsquared:

Age does not bring wisdom in some cases, these two are a prime example. These guys calling someone a brand loyalist online and I have owned way more GM products than Ram or Mopar over the years and have always liked and still like GM. I came to Ram out of a GM like a lot of guys on here... You guys spent a lot of money on a truck/brand that you dislike which is why you come here to cry, ***** and troll about the same boring stuff in almost every post. BOO... HOO... Lol. Too funny. Why did you guys buy that Ram? Who on earth would buy such a POS. After all, it is useless, right? Can't tow, can't plow, can't even out tow a old Chevy up the Ike Gauntlet. How embarrasing for us Noob 6.4 owners who dont work our trucks like the master truckers over here...Lol.

When you guys do go back to Chevy, who are you gonna troll? Prob still us unfortunately.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
I said the trans. And I dont know? How many people WOT their gasser up the Ike at/near max load on a regular basis? If sane people did it regularly you'd prob see some data. :roflsquared:

Age does not bring wisdom in some cases, these two are a prime example. These guys calling someone a brand loyalist online and I have owned way more GM products than Ram or Mopar over the years and have always liked and still like GM. I came to Ram out of a GM like a lot of guys on here... You guys spent a lot of money on a truck/brand that you dislike which is why you come here to cry, ***** and troll about the same boring stuff in almost every post. BOO... HOO... Lol. Too funny. Why did you guys buy that Ram? Who on earth would buy such a POS. After all, it is useless, right? Can't tow, can't plow, can't even out tow a old Chevy up the Ike Gauntlet. How embarrasing for us Noob 6.4 owners who dont work our trucks like the master truckers over here...Lol.

When you guys do go back to Chevy, who are you gonna troll? Prob still us unfortunately.

^^^ Re: The BOLD....LOL... Sooooo you STILL like GM....

You posted the following earlier regarding GM...

#1...UGLY *** TRUCK...

#2...OUTDATED INTERIOR...

#3...DOGGY DAILY DRIVER...

#4...MANY ELECTRICAL GREMLINS...

:roflsquared::roflsquared::roflsquared::roflsquared:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine

You don't get it, the truck doesn't matter the performance doesn't matter.

Laramie 2500- $47,500
S&B air filter- $299
TFLTruck ram 6.4 video- $free

Continuing to comment in this subject ***PRICELESS***

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Continuing to comment in this subject ***PRICELESS***

Or..you're just the village idiot who likes to hear himself talk. On most other forums you would have been booted long ago for being a massive troll. Luckily for you the mods here have more patience then a Buddhist monk.

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wonder when the Mods/Admins will finally step in and remove these two. Nothing but the same nonsense on every thread.

I love the looks of the power wagon and some of the capabilities it has, just not for me. I also like the use-ability of the regular 2500, but I would opt for a 3500 configured just like a 2500 for the added payload.

Just my .02

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I own a 16 power wagon and if I was gonna tow or haul anything I sure as hell wouldnt do it with a ram and this is my 5th ram.

What's stupid is a 360hp 380tq decade old 6.0 spanking a 410hp 425tq technological advanced 6.4, well it ain't stupid its down right hilarious!

What I find "stupid" & "hilarious" is how you refer to Chevy being so great & Ram's are just horrible... yet you keep buying Rams... 5 times over!
Buy a Chevy already so you can go over on their forum & ***** about their product. :baby:

|

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Downside of that 5.0 diesel motor in a 1500 is it kills the payload and CGVW because its so heavy

Titan Crew Cabs only come with the 6'7" bed...With the diesel engine the truck has a payload of 2000#....12,000+# tow capacity

Regular Cab with an 8' bed and a gasser engine has a payload of 2900+#'s

Bumper to Bumper Warrenty...60 months/100,000 mi

Heres one with almost $10,000.00 off list

New 2017 Nissan Titan XD For Sale | Janesville WI

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Titan Crew Cabs only come with the 6'7" bed...With the diesel engine the truck has a payload of 2000#....12,000+# tow capacity

Regular Cab with an 8' bed and a gasser engine has a payload of 2900+#'s

Bumper to Bumper Warrenty...60 months/100,000 mi

Heres one with almost $10,000.00 off list

New 2017 Nissan Titan XD For Sale | Janesville WI

True, does anyone do any research? Seems like everyone just throws darts in the dark.

Anyone considering a diesel take into consideration the EPA emissions. If you haven't had a vehicle lay down on you telling you it will not exceed 5mph if not serviced in the next 200 miles, it's an experience.

The emissions are so bad at restricting performance and reliability that the EPA published separate standards for emgerancy vehicles as the consumer standard was effect the life saving abilities. It's a fact, look it up.

That's just some numbers. Have you seen a F150 or F250 go down the road lately? Any kind of load & they get the squats BAD! :roflsquared:
Ya just don't see Ram or Chevy going down the road like that unless somebody just has them completely over loaded.

Oh it's just some numbers when talking about other manufactures. If someone provides proof besides lip service, they are a troll?

Remember "that's just some numbers", don't worry about them. Some manufactures will take them seriously and ensure they're vehicle will perform (GM, Ford) others they are just hog wash. Right??

Research, may wanna start with SAE J2807 standard. It will define how Fords numbers matter and what the certification process is. Then if there's proof as in say, the 6.4 falling on it's face on the ike, that Fords numbers are in question, like operating well below the advertised standard and failing, then there's a basis to say the fords numbers don't matter.

I love my PW, but it's not perfect. Especially to throw boulders at other brands.

:flipthebird:

Last edited: