Power Wagon vs standard 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Had that same experience when I was looking at an Explorer Sport for my wife. They offered to take 2k off the sticker price and that was it. No factory incentives on the Sport either. Their "take it or leave it" attitude was very apparent, so we did and she bought an Acura instead. We made that point clear when they called back a couple days later to ask if we were still interested.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I didn't have that experience when buying the Mustang, or I'd probably be driving a Challenger now:)

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Repeat customers and good word of mouth is a huge chunk of the biz, especially for companies like Ram. So you loose a few grand on one sale beating out the dealer across the street, but now that customer will probably gain you one or more new vehicles sold in the future because they left happy. Realistically, more than half of customers dont even play hard ball. I worked for a dealer a while ago (not in sales thank God). Youd be surprised how many people walk in and just buy a car at whatever price the dealer tells them lol. So if they lost a little on a few sales here and there it wasnt a big deal.

I dont think Ford cares though because they already know they are outselling Ram and GM, so why bother making customers happy lol.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yup, that has been my experience with most Ford dealers.

The sales departments made me feel like it was a privilege to be walking on their lot and that I was lucky to be getting the deal at msrp... :supergay:

The service departments made me feel like it was my fault their perfect car/truck was defective...

Never any problems with GM dealers and neutral to mostly positive with Chrysler.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
agreed on the ford dealers and their attitudes. to heck with 'em. they didn't want to work with me at all.

i honestly think they believe they have people brainwashed into thinking their stuff is the best so they don't think they have to work with anyone. "take it or leave it".

i left it and am very happy i did.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Come get it...It's yours...$45k cash...I have the title in hand...Includes the Western 8.5' Pro Series plow, and the Snow Ex 1875 salt spreader with the trick swing-away mount system...I'll throw in the Chinese snow tires for free...

lol, sorry man. i like my truck, can't help you there, but serisouly, if your that unhappy, you should sell your ram and get something you like. life's too short. that's why i sold my 15 Silverado 1500 after a year and a half. i just wasn't happy with it and i spent way too much money to live with something I'm not happy with. even if you have to take a small loss, it would seem worth it, considering your apparent level of dislike for your truck. just my .02.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I grew up on GM but, really got away from them years ago. Never was interested in Ford. My wife is a Ford person and because of this, I have interacted with a few Ford dealers. Two experiences that stand out.

1. My wife wanted to get a new SUV with a 3rd row seat. She missed her old Explorer but, didn't like the new Explorers. She was all in on a Durango when she found a left over 2014 Expedition that was loaded! We went to drive it and were asking about prices and the salesman said that wouldn't come off of the MSRP. We we're standing behind the truck with the rear hatc open (it was raining) and he told us, "I just don't think you're serious about this truck". I replied, "Excuse me?! We are standing here in the rain talking to you about this truck and your response is, you don't think we're serious?' GTFOH!

A few weeks later, she found another 2014 Expedition just like the one above that was the owners demo truck. That dealer bent over backwards to make that sale and we got a ridiculous deal on that one.

2. Now, I've had Chrysler, Jeep Ram vehicles for years and have been a fan of certain aspects. When we were looking at upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck, to humor my wife, we went to look at F250s. I asked the salesman to show me F250 Crew Cabs with Diesel, Crew Cab, Leather etc. I requested specific attributes.

He walked me out the front door and put me in the drivers seat of a lower end F150 and told me that they were exactly the same and the F250s were on another lot down the street. To which I replied they aren't the same, it's a F150. Anyways, after some back and forth, I realized it wasn't going any where and thanked hm for his time and we left and walked right by a few F250 on his lot on our way out.

Personally, I don't have anything against GM or Ford. I personally like the look, touch and feel of the RAM. It does what I need it to do and I'm good with that.

My Dad always told me that the dealership needs to sale that vehicle more than you need to buy it and there are just too many dealers out there to choose from to put up with that BS from any dealer. Regardless, of what brand I'm shopping for, one thing is for sure. If my first interaction with that dealer is a salesman with a ****** attitude, I won't be buying from that dealer. I will walk out to find another dealer in a second.

To the OP, I originally wanted the Power Wagon. It was a Granite Crystal gray Laramie PW that first caught my eye. I remember telling the salesman that it was the best looking truck he had on the lot. But, once I sat down and thought about how I wanted use the truck, the regular 2500 HD fit the bill for me better. I wanted it to tow and I would likely never use the extra off-road capabilities of the PW.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My wife is in the same boat with her 2007 explore with 3 rows. Hates the new ones. Is considering giving up the 3rd row and getting a vehicle that still had a frame. Most likely a Jeep Wrangler unlimited

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
My wife is in the same boat with her 2007 explore with 3 rows. Hates the new ones. Is considering giving up the 3rd row and getting a vehicle that still had a frame. Most likely a Jeep Wrangler unlimited

She not like the Durango's? We have one with just the 3.6L in it & love it. Seems to have a lot of power & gets great fuel mileage for a SUV of it's size.

WOW! We have really digressed from the original post! :shakehead:

Reactions: U&A

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Durango SRT for the wife!

Seriously though, if my truck was not an option a Durango with Hemi would prob be my choice for daily driver to have space and not worry about the snow. If i didnt need a truck from time to time i would just daily drive a Charger Hellcat lol.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
She not like the Durango's? We have one with just the 3.6L in it & love it. Seems to have a lot of power & gets great fuel mileage for a SUV of it's size.

WOW! We have really digressed from the original post! :shakehead:

The O.P’s question was answered within the first three posts.

She does not like the Durango. She has had a thing for ford her whole life because her grandfather worked there. I have slowly convinced her on looking at the jeeps and now she seems to be for it because it really is her only option when she looks at the things she wants in a vehicle. There Really is nothing left but the jeep that is a true SUV in that size.... IMO.

She hates the word “Dodge” and is not thrilled that i purchased RAM.

I think she’s in for a surprise when she takes a jeep wrangler for a drive. Not going to be even close to the same ride ( and quietness) as her 2007 explore.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I would like to know what made you go for a 2500 instead of a Ram 1500.

Getting back on topic....

Knightip, How much and what are you looking to tow / haul? Will this truck be a daily driver?